Thread: HP 550 Laptop WiFi problem

Beans

HP 550 Laptop WiFi problem

Hello,

I installed Ubuntu on my HP 550 Laptop and i've
    got a problem. I want to choose my WiFi connection
    but it says that it hasn't got a firmware..
    When i click on the wireless icon, this opens:

Wireless Networks
    device not ready(firmware missing)

What should i do now?

Regards,
    Ihsan.
    Last edited by Ihsan_Cingisiz; November 16th, 2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Forgot something..

Beans

Re: HP 550 Laptop WiFi problem

Firmware is the software used by the operating system device driver to interface with and control the device. You need to determine the name and specifications of your wireless device, particularly the chipset that it carries. Then we can attempt to discover if it is supported by Linux or not, and what you need to download and install, if it is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybergnome View Post
    Firmware is the software used by the operating system device driver to interface with and control the device. You need to determine the name and specifications of your wireless device, particularly the chipset that it carries. Then we can attempt to discover if it is supported by Linux or not, and what you need to download and install, if it is.
    Hello,

Thanks for your repy, but iḿ very new to Ubuntu and don't know
    whith which program i can, or how i can see the name of the device.
    Could you help me out, what do i need or how can i see it?

Regards,
    Ihsan.

Beans

Ihsan:

The first thing to try is to install the package called "linux-firmware-nonfree" which is in the repository. Simply launch Synaptic and scroll down to "linux-firmware-nonfree" and mark for installation, then click "apply".

If that doesn't solve the problem, come back for more hlp.

CRS
    Last edited by rondackcpu; November 16th, 2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please type
    Code:
    lspci
    into a terminal and post the output here. In that list is your wireless network adapter model and then users can post suggested steps to take to help get it running.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan_Cingisiz View Post
    Hello,

I installed Ubuntu on my HP 550 Laptop and i've
    got a problem. I want to choose my WiFi connection
    but it says that it hasn't got a firmware..
    When i click on the wireless icon, this opens:

Wireless Networks
    device not ready(firmware missing)

What should i do now?

Regards,
    Ihsan.
    Just follow these steps, it fixed mine. But I didn't have ethernet so if you don't have that download easytether on a android phone and download the .deb Nd install it... Just read the direction inside the easytether App to see how to launch it on linix.... Just self explanatory.

b43 - No Internet access

If you do not have any other means of Internet access from Ubuntu, then you will have to download the firmware from another computer with Internet access, from an existing OS on another partition, or before you install Ubuntu. You will also need the b43-fwcutter package which is usually included on the install media or can be downloaded from the official online repositories.

1. Install the b43-fwcutterpackage. This is usually located on the Ubuntu install media under /cdrom/pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/ or you can download the binary '.deb' package by following the links on launchpad.

Double click on the package to install or in a Terminal issue the following commands:

cd /cdrom/pool/main/b/b43-fwcutter/sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter*

2. On a computer with Internet access, download the required firmware file:

b43legacy - http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources...a-3.130.20.0.o b43 (10.04 Lucid Lynx) - http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/b...0.10.5.tar.bz2

b43 (12.04 Precise Pangolin) - http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/b...mipsel.tar.bz2

For the latest information on what files to download see http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...entioned_above and http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...b43/developers .

3. Copy the downloaded file to your home folder. Open a new Terminal and use b43-fwcutter to extract and install the firmware:

b43legacy

sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

b43 (10.04 Lucid Lynx)

tar xfvj broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2 sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver/wl_apsta_mimo.o

b43 (12.04 Precise Pangolin)

tar xfvj broadcom-wl-5.10.56.27.3_mipsel.tar.bz2 sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-5.10.56.27.3/driver/wl_apsta/wl_prebuilt.o

4. Restart the computer or reload the b43/b43legacy module as outlined in the Switching between drivers section below (replace b43 with b43legacy where appropriate).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks for sharing and please do not post in threads that have not had activity for a year or longer, since this is an old thread it has been closed.