Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netatalk (oneric) Cannot Copy .AppeDouble directories

Beans

Netatalk (oneric) Cannot Copy .AppeDouble directories

I have a server running 11.10 server.

I installed netatalk via apt (2.2beta~4-1) and am having trouble copying files to the machine from my Mac (which is running OSX Lion).

Some files will copy. Others just give me an error:

Code:
    The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -50).

When I drop into the command line and try to copy the entire directory I get errors dealing with the .AppleDouble directory:

Code:
    /Volumes/Media/Music: cp -R ~/Documents/FreeNas\ Backup/music/10,000\ Maniacs/* .
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble: Invalid argument
    cp: /Users/bvz/Documents/FreeNas Backup/music/10,000 Maniacs/Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble: unable to copy extended attributes to ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/.Parent: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/Candy Everybody Wants.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/Circle Dream.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/Eden.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/Few And Far Between.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/Gold Rush Brides.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/How You've Grown.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/I'm Not The Man.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/If You Intend.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/Jezebel.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/Noah's Dove.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/Stockton Gala Days.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/These Are Days.mp3: Invalid argument
    cp: ./Our Time In Eden/.AppleDouble/Tolerence.mp3: Invalid argument

but the actual files copy over correctly.

I cannot manually create an .AppleDouble directory

Code:
    /Volumes/Media/Music: mkdir .AppleDouble
    mkdir: .AppleDouble: Invalid argument
    but perhaps that is just a basic limitation of the command line in OSX. I don't know.

I am currently working my way through the Netatalk documents, but they are kind of dense (or, rather, I am kind of dense and they are difficult for me to digest).

Can anyone offer any clues as to where I should start looking?

Also, if anyone has a good tutorial on understanding Netatalk (vs. just getting it up and running) I would appreciate that as well. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Netatalk (oneric) Cannot Copy .AppeDouble directories

Names starting with "." are legal in Linux filesystems, they are not in other filesystems (like NTFS).
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    Names starting with "." are legal in Linux filesystems, they are not in other filesystems (like NTFS).
    Thanks for the quick reply. I may not have explained myself correctly.

I have an Ubuntu server (with ext4 file system on it) running the Netatalk package (2.2~beta 4-1) serving to a couple of Macintosh computers running OS X Lion (with HFS+ formatted drives).

I am unable to properly save files from the Mac to the Ubuntu server because of the issue I described above (I cannot copy or create .AppleDouble files). There are no Windows machines involved and none of the drives are formatted using NTFS.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bvz View Post
    ... (I cannot copy or create .AppleDouble files). ...
    Exactly. You can't. So don't.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slowfranklin View Post
    Exactly. You can't. So don't.
    I'm a little confused by your reply. As far as I understand it (and I am still trying to learn) .AppleDouble directories hold metadata for the actual files in the regular directory.

When I try to copy regular files via the finder (from my Mac to the Ubuntu server) it fails with an error -50.

When I open a terminal on my Mac and try to copy the same directories from the local drive to a mounted volume (mounted from the Ubuntu server, and I am not ssh'ing into the server, but just using the local command line to manage the files on the mounted volume) using cp -R I get the afore-mentioned errors regarding the .AppleDouble directories. I have no proof, but I suspect that the errors in the terminal and the errors in the Finder are related.

So I am not *actively* trying to copy .AppleDouble directories... they are just coming along for the ride.

Are you telling me that I can't use cp -R from a terminal on my Mac? If so, how do you manage files on the server if you cannot touch .AppleDouble directories? Do you think the Finder error is related?

I have tried running sudo dbd -rv on the afp volumes (from the command line on the server) to little avail. I will try sudo dbd -rfv tonight to see if it improves anything.

But any insight (with even the tiniest bit of explanation or links) would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by bvz; November 21st, 2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: clarify which command line is which

Beans

I have a theory (but I am not able to test it at the moment)...

The folders I am trying to copy to the Ubuntu server were originally copied FROM a freeNas server. These folders must have come across with the .AppleDouble directories intact (in fact, I know that these folders have the .AppleDouble directories because I can see them in the terminal).

I'm guessing that these files don't normally live on an HFS+ drive. So, when I try to copy the directory over to the Ubuntu server, these files (which really should not exist) are included in the copy and at that point Netatalk balks.

So, slowfranklin was dead on (albeit a bit terse) when he/she suggested that I not try to copy the .AppleDouble files. It just took me a bit of messing about to realize that these files should never even exist on my Mac in the first place and that the issue is a leftover from having brought them over from my old freeNas box.

I'll be able to properly test this tomorrow and then report back.

Beans

Theory confirmed. I spent a few moments carefully deleting the .AppleDouble directories from one of the directory trees that would not properly copy over. Once that was fixed, I was able to properly copy the files via the finder.

Now I just need to whip up a script to kill them all...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

cd into the directory above the files not transferring and then execute:

find . -name ".AppleDouble" -type d -exec rm -rf {} \;

Worked for me when I was having the same issue.

Beans

bvz ..

It sounds like the issue is/was how you have configured the share in AppleVolumes.defaults, is "options:usedots" set? eg:

/etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.defaults
    Code:
    /path/to/share sharename allow:username1,username2 cnidscheme:cdb options:usedots
    These options are explaned in the Netatalk Manual

HTH ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Code:
    # The line below sets some DEFAULT, starting with Netatalk 2.1.
    :DEFAULT: options:upriv,usedots

# The "~" below indicates that Home directories are visible by default.
    # If you do not wish to have people accessing their Home directories,
    # please put a pound sign in front of the tilde or delete it.
    ~/ "Home Directory" cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv
    ~/.TimeMachine "TimeMachine" cnidscheme:dbd options:usedots,upriv,tm
    This is cut and paste from my settings. I think it is already setup correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast