Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All video players crash

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy All video players crash

I just installed Jaunty replacing Hardy that I have been using for a year now and all the video players suddenly disappear when I try to play any format of video. I can start the players fine but as soon as I point it to a video it just disappears with no error notice or anything. I have the Medibuntu repositories and codecs installed exactly as I did with hardy (except I used the ones required for Jaunty). I have installed VLC, Mplayer, and movie player installed by default. All three do the same identical thing.

Any ideas where to begin would be deeply appreciated, thanks!

Beans

Re: All video players crash

This may help.

It is no longer to use the mediabuntu repos and install each library individually.

The command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    can install can install every codec at once working for your system. This is flash, mp4, mp3, divx, java etc. If you need DVD support then also use mediabuntu.
    For high-res minimalist and abstract wallpapers check out my Deviantart profile - http://hyperdude111.deviantart.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

change your video output to X11

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hyperdude111 View Post
    This may help.

It is no longer to use the mediabuntu repos and install each library individually.

The command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    can install can install every codec at once working for your system. This is flash, mp4, mp3, divx, java etc. If you need DVD support then also use mediabuntu.
    Thanks, but still the same problem though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by binbash View Post
    change your video output to X11
    How do I go about doing that?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by hman469 View Post
    How do I go about doing that?
    In the video option in the preference section of the player you are using.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ~sHyLoCk~ View Post
    In the video option in the preference section of the player you are using.
    I cannot find an option or preference to change that on any of the three media players I am using?

Beans

open a terminal, then start one of the players you are talking about from there (e.g. use the command "vlc" to start that or "totem" to start the Movie Player)

Then do what ever causes the crash, and post the output that appears in the terminal here.

If its something about badalloc, then I've been struggling with it too, and have a few workarounds, but until we know what is actually happening we can't really say any more

Hope that helps

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by issih View Post
    open a terminal, then start one of the players you are talking about from there (e.g. use the command "vlc" to start that or "totem" to start the Movie Player)

Then do what ever causes the crash, and post the output that appears in the terminal here.

If its something about badalloc, then I've been struggling with it too, and have a few workarounds, but until we know what is actually happening we can't really say any more

Hope that helps

Here you go:
    hman@hman-desktop:~$ vlc
    VLC media player 0.9.9a Grishenko
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintainer-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=2ubuntu1' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-realrtsp' '--disable-dv' '--enable-x264' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
    [00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
    [00000001] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    [????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 132.19 failed with error code 11:
    BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 132 (XVideo)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 ()
    Serial number of failed request: 81
    Current serial number in output stream: 82
    hman@hman-desktop:~$

Beans

Yup, this line here:

X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

is a sign that you have the same issues as me, it appears to be related to compiz taking too much of your video ram (I only have a puny 128Mb card).

To check this hit alt+f2 and enter:

Code:
    metacity --replace
    and see if your video programs work with compiz off (metacity is a gnome's default window manager in case you didn't know)

If that solves it, then try enabling compiz again ("compiz --replace") and then go into the compiz's settings manager and start disabling plugins until you find the culprit..apparently blur is particularly bad (and is liable to be my culprit as I recently turned it on to get blur behind transparent objects - I'm waiting for some video encodes to finish before I mess with it though)

Hope that helps
    Last edited by issih; July 22nd, 2009 at 12:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast