Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless on Fedora 8

Beans

Re: Wireless on Fedora 8

Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    I can't get on the internet - is htis on the 4 gig DVD I had to burn?

Hope so. I'm on my way home from work - I'll look when I get there.
    Yeah, I have the same wifi card and the Fedora DVD worked fine, BUT for some reason Fedora has the NetworkManager services disabled by default. So before I could get my 3945 to work I had to enable the two NeworkManager services that are listed. I believe the "Sevices" menu is listed under "Administration."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    Yeah, I have the same wifi card and the Fedora DVD worked fine, BUT for some reason Fedora has the NetworkManager services disabled by default. So before I could get my 3945 to work I had to enable the two NeworkManager services that are listed. I believe the "Sevices" menu is listed under "Administration."
    Yeah, i second this as the cause. NM is not enabled on the DVD install by default. Here's a blurb from the fedora-devel mailing list explaining why:
    Quote Originally Posted by fedora-devel
    > Please make it on by default also for DVD install images.

Till it works for all the systems Fedora targets (including those with
    no permanent GUI session that also need network/wifi connexion) the
    answer is no.

Right now NetworkManager is targetting a very small user niche, so
    it's only usable as default in the spin dedicated to this niche (and
    one could argue the spin desktop target audience is wider than the
    laptop-only no-daemon dumbed-down desktop NetworkManager supports)
    It is a fairly simple one click procedure to enable it, and most desktop users are recommended to use the liveCDs, as they are spins that are tailored to the desktop, while the DVD is meant as a generic install and as such has no such tailorings. I guess I understand their reasoning behind this, as for gui-less systems, a networking procedure reliant on nm-applet is a bit of a pain .

Note that the firmware for that device is on the DVD media, i confirmed that yesterday while doing an install. You may or may not have installed it during your install, so insert the DVD and try to install it via yum if you have further issues.
    Last edited by igknighted; November 14th, 2007 at 05:23 AM.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Cool Re: Wireless on Fedora 8

I think I'm gonna play with this through the Thanksgiving holidays, but I think I may like to try OpenSuse also.

This is reallya royal PITA, IMHO.

They should really make this easier in this day and age.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

I think I'm gonna play with this through the Thanksgiving holidays, but I think I may like to try OpenSuse also.

This is reallya royal PITA, IMHO.

They should really make this easier in this day and age.
    It's not hard, its different. I've done the wireless setup in Fedora (even on the DVD install) quite a few times already with Fedora 8. It works perfectly.

You are assuming (incorrectly) that the DVD you installed from was tailored for desktop use (like the live spins are, and like Ubuntu is). It is not. It is a rather generic start so those who are creating a webserver, and those doing clustering, and those installing a desktop OS and others can all have the same disk, and customize the services and such to their liking. If you want a distro that is already setup with defaults that work well for desktop users, try one of the many desktop-specific spins. But your criticism here is aimed poorly.
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    It's not hard, its different. I've done the wireless setup in Fedora (even on the DVD install) quite a few times already with Fedora 8. It works perfectly.

You are assuming (incorrectly) that the DVD you installed from was tailored for desktop use (like the live spins are, and like Ubuntu is). It is not. It is a rather generic start so those who are creating a webserver, and those doing clustering, and those installing a desktop OS and others can all have the same disk, and customize the services and such to their liking. If you want a distro that is already setup with defaults that work well for desktop users, try one of the many desktop-specific spins. But your criticism here is aimed poorly.
    My criticism here was the fact that I thought that this distro release is a Pain In The A S S . (sorry, family people)

I was actually expecting something different and my thread is to discover answers.

I'm not opposed to setting up Linux, I would like to have a desktop and wireless working out of the box or answers that are easier to find than the ones that I haven't found on the Fedora website.

I posted here because I know that there is a strong Fedora/RedHat community nestled in the Ubuntu Forums.

I am allowed to criticize an OS, especially if it is my thread.

It is frustrating, but I just would like to know, at this point, how to get GDM working at boot, wireless working at log in and a working desktop system, in 64 bit, so I can test to see if this distro is a direction that I can go for my professional computing needs.

At the moment, my professional needs require that I have a working, GUI desktop.

Easy.
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

Beans

My criticism here was the fact that I thought that this distro release is a Pain In The A S S . (sorry, family people)

I was actually expecting something different and my thread is to discover answers.

I'm not opposed to setting up Linux, I would like to have a desktop and wireless working out of the box or answers that are easier to find than the ones that I haven't found on the Fedora website.

I posted here because I know that there is a strong Fedora/RedHat community nestled in the Ubuntu Forums.

I am allowed to criticize an OS, especially if it is my thread.

It is frustrating, but I just would like to know, at this point, how to get GDM working at boot, wireless working at log in and a working desktop system, in 64 bit, so I can test to see if this distro is a direction that I can go for my professional computing needs.

At the moment, my professional needs require that I have a working, GUI desktop.

Easy.
    Fedora has a version for this, but you did not use it. There is a gnome and a KDE "spin", which are live CDs that are custom configured to be ready to go desktop systems. The DVD is in many ways similar to doing a base install of Ubuntu from the server CD and adding the packages yourself. See here: http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora (note at the bottom there is a link for more custom spins, where you will find a gaming spin, a developer's spin and much more). These are all official project releases and use the same repo's, they are just configured for different purposes by default. The gnome and KDE live media are the ones that will suit your purposes best in this case.

I'm sorry, I was a bit harsh sounding with the previous post. I was simply pointing out that Fedora can indeed do exactly what you want, you simply picked the wrong media, in case you wanted to try using that instead to see if it is more what you were looking for.
    Last edited by igknighted; November 15th, 2007 at 04:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I DLed the Fedora Live CD last night and I will try that, but I would like an installed version of the 64 bit system.

I also DLed the OpenSuse to try that out also.

I'm gonna hammer out the issues with this Fedora before I give it up.

Beans

I DLed the Fedora Live CD last night and I will try that, but I would like an installed version of the 64 bit system.
    Whats wrong with this disk (edit: or the equivalent KDE one)? It should do all that better than the 4gb DVD does.

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pu...ive-x86_64.iso

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Whats wrong with this disk (edit: or the equivalent KDE one)? It should do all that better than the 4gb DVD does.

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pu...ive-x86_64.iso
    Yeah - that's the one I DLed last night.

I'm gonna try and give it a try tonight.

Beans

Yeah - that's the one I DLed last night.

I'm gonna try and give it a try tonight.
    Ahh. I think you will find this to be a much better solution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast