Thread: Disk Usage Analyzer wrong?

Beans

Disk Usage Analyzer wrong?

I have Ubuntu 8.10, new install. My hard drive is 250 GB. When I look at the Disk Usage Analyzer it's showing 223 GB total filesystem availablity, almost 3 GB used. Sooo... Where is the 25 odd GB.. Confusing me! Halp. xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Disk Usage Analyzer wrong?

No it is not wrong. Your hard drive is 250GB and hard-drives are usually sold in terms of GB or TB which is based on 1000s, so 1GB = 1000MB and 1MB = 1000kB and so on.

Ubuntu and other operating systems use GiB and TiB, in other words they count in 1024s, so 1GiB = 1024MiB and so on. It's a classic example of hardware vendors misleading consumers in my opinion but it's been done for so long that it seems to be a standard now!

Have a look here for a calculator
    http://wintelguy.com/gb2gib.html

and here for some more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GiB

250GB works out to 232GiB
    Last edited by Barry Carroll; April 17th, 2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: clarification

Beans

Awesome, thanks :3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 with a 10GB hdd (at least that's what was advertised when I bought it back in 2001). According to the converter posted above, 10GB = 9.31 GiB, but the Disk Usage Analyzer swears that I have a 17.7GB hard drive. Is the analyzer wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do you have Samba running? Disk Usage Analyzer includes space available in remote Samba directories in its total.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

No, but I have noticed something funny in the preferences of analyzer. The list of devices to include in the scan has two entries: /dev/sda1 and gvfs-fuse-daemon. Both have a total capacity of 8.8GB. The gvfs-fuse-daemon is mounted in the home directory of sda1 so I'm thinking it's just scanning the sda1 twice somehow right? At any rate I unchecked it and the numbers in analyzer make more sense now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: Disk Usage Analyzer wrong?

Well, as you can see on my self-explained-screenshot, for me it is wrong. Just like for this lone guy:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1963145

I think this issue might be on not scanning hidden stuff, but I just don't know or care. I just deleted it anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by caue.rego View Post
    Well, as you can see on my self-explained-screenshot, for me it is wrong. Just like for this lone guy:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1963145

I think this issue might be on not scanning hidden stuff, but I just don't know or care. I just deleted it anyway.
    I'm getting wrong output if I'm reading a mounted HDD but if it's local then it reads correctly.

I have to fix this and when I do , I'll update it here.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Post Re: Disk Usage Analyzer wrong?

my DUA always read wrong comparing to DU and actually disk usage. it doesn't matter which partition or mounted disk (although I don't have any external disk to mount other than pen drives).

I just chose that vista partition on my local disk because it wouldn't present any permission errors. you can see on that picture I run DU on it without SU and still get different results for several directories.

that problem persists up to today.