Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: syncing iphone 4s with iOS 5.1 in ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: syncing iphone 4s with iOS 5.1 in ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by M4r5h4ll View Post
    i wonder for how long we will suffer from it & why nobody posts a real helpful solution to us ?
    Sorry, but the sad truth is...

This situation will not change soon. Every iOS update includes code changes and other tricks to make it hard for non-Apple products to interact with it. Apple are taking ever more steps to make the wall round their walled garden higher. They want every piece of hardware you own to have an Apple logo on it.
    If you're not OK with this they are going to try and make your life difficult.

The only workarounds right now are to give in and buy a MacBook, not ideal because iTunes is unstable and every time it trashes your iPod the only solution is to reinstall the iOs and content from a backup, a process that can take hours, Mac forums are full of such tales of woe.

Or run iTunes in a virtual box - not easy, but I got it to work, again you have to deal with iTunes, which is suboptimal in device management, but very good at selling content.

Or, install OPlayer Lite, (free from the app store) and drag and drop music to the documents folder it provides - (how long Apple will allow them to keep providing this workaround is another question).

P.S. Do not update your device iOS, no matter how insistently it asks you too, this will only make things worse as far as connecting it to non-Apple hardware and software goes.
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by M4r5h4ll View Post
    i am very sick from this iphone thing. i wonder for how long we will suffer from it & why nobody posts a real helpful solution to us ?
    Simply, Apple is not interested in supporting Linux. Period.

I don't know why, because Linux is much closer to iOS (Unix) than is Windows.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This really should have its own thread, for easy access. So if anyone here wants to make this its own thread please do so.

Requires jailbroken device,dTunes or VLC4iPhone or YouTubeToMP3, all available in cydia.This tutorial is for YouTubeToMP3.Works for all iDevices to my knowledge, on all Linux machines.

Step 1; Install openssh

This step requires you to install openssh from cydia on your iDevice.
    Open cydia, go to search. Look for openssh, then click openssh from the list. Click install on the top right of the screen. Wait till complete, then switch to your pc.

Step 2; Install filezilla

Method A(advanced/fast)
    Type the below command without qoutes into a terminal.
    "sudo apt-get install filezilla"

Method B (for beginers/slower)
    Open ubuntu-sofware-centre and search for filezilla. Once fonud righ click and install.

Step 3; Using filezilla
    Once complete run filezilla, in the host type sftp://root@[your-iDevice-IP-Address].

To Find your ip address open Settings, go to Wi-Fi, click the little blue icon just right of your internet connection. You will find it there. An example of a host is as follows:

sftp://192.168.1.100

In username type "root". This works for all iDevices.

Then in password type "alpine". You should change this password.

Then click Quickconnect.

The rest is drag and drop.

The location of music on an Idevice is "/var/mobile/Media/Downloads"
    The location of music on Ubuntu is "/home/[username]/Music/"

Tested on iTouch 4g iOS 5.1.1 jailbroken. Kubuntu 12.04 and 12.10.

Beans

Not sure whether this is the solution you're after but it works for me. I installed File Manager by Tapmedia from the appstore which allows you to create folders. Then I created a music folder and just drag and drop mp3s into it using nautilus or in my case pcmanfm. Voila, play them on your iphone directly from the file manager. No itunes needed.

Beans

Spaceshipguy,

Another option. CopyTransManager http://www.copytrans.net/copytransmanager.php

It still needs Windows, but I run it in VirtualBox w/usb support. Not the perfect solution, but its free (at least right now) and I don't have to use Itunes....
    Last edited by Jgonick; October 25th, 2012 at 04:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This one works. thanks a lot buckyaustin.
    But cannot copy music from desktop to iPod Touch. It does not show up on iPOD. I am able to view all existing podcasts and mp3 songs and download to my Ubuntu from iPod Touch.

It seems you cant even check what the content is from filename. They rename all songs and other content in your Pod.

Quote Originally Posted by buckyaustin View Post
    This really should have its own thread, for easy access. So if anyone here wants to make this its own thread please do so.

Requires jailbroken device,dTunes or VLC4iPhone or YouTubeToMP3, all available in cydia.This tutorial is for YouTubeToMP3.Works for all iDevices to my knowledge, on all Linux machines.

Step 1; Install openssh

Beans

There is a free Ubuntu program called Banshee which is a media player with the ability to sync with devices INCLUDING Apple. Website is banshee.fm. There are no complicated installs because it is available on the Ubuntu Software Center. You might want to try it out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by icebird1942 View Post
    There is a free Ubuntu program called Banshee which is a media player with the ability to sync with devices INCLUDING Apple. Website is banshee.fm. There are no complicated installs because it is available on the Ubuntu Software Center. You might want to try it out.
    Not at all. Banshee uses libgpod and it supports only iOS version 4 and lower.

Anyone using iOS 5 (or 6) is stuck.

Beans

Hi there is always the choise of using something like bridge. You just have to transfer the songs to a folder inside your device and then use the app to import them into the music.app's database. Pretty straightforward. It works with the latest ios version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12