Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issues I got so far in Trusty

Beans

Issues I got so far in Trusty

Sporadic disappearing mouse cursor.

Ubuntu not logging in automatically, it boots to unity greeter, and I have to manually login. This also happens sporadically.

Plugin indicators crash, or won't show up (gear icon, time).

Sometimes, when login out and login in, I get on my upper left corner some error messages related to Xorg.
    Intel 4770k + ASUS Z87 PRO + 8GB + AMD R9 290X

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Issues I got so far in Trusty

Welcome to testing Ubuntu+1.

Have you not yet had a complete OS freeze? I have had it twice in recent days. Once when I was using Ubuntu Web Browser and once when I was using Chromium. Only the mouse was active. I have System Load Indicator running to watch if CPU or RAM is being maxed out but as everything has frozen they give no indication as to what is causing it. The top utility also freezes.

I have also had the missing power/cog icon and the missing mouse cursor but I found I could still click with the mouse although I could not see exactly where the cursor was. I have not had the other issues that you have had. And so we live.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I do know that one one the 'alerts' is apport-gtk so have fun trying to send a bug report
    lol

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pnarciso View Post
    Sporadic disappearing mouse cursor.

Ubuntu not logging in automatically, it boots to unity greeter, and I have to manually login. This also happens sporadically.

Plugin indicators crash, or won't show up (gear icon, time).

Sometimes, when login out and login in, I get on my upper left corner some error messages related to Xorg.
    It's pre-alpha, don't be too surprised, if nothing works.

Beans

What worries me is that all of this issues are present in 13.10 final
    Intel 4770k + ASUS Z87 PRO + 8GB + AMD R9 290X

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,

Sporadic disappearing mouse cursor. Ubuntu not logging in automatically, it boots to unity greeter, and I have to manually login. This also happens sporadically. Plugin indicators crash, or won't show up (gear icon, time). Sometimes, when login out and login in, I get on my upper left corner some error messages related to Xorg.
    These problems are transitional, the result of conflicting dependencies in a development version. Most should be corrected before 16.04 or 17.10. What is needed at this point is patience and reporting.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What worries me is that all of this issues are present in 13.10 final
    Tis true, I suppose. Since this is an LTS version, the devs will pull from Debian testing, instead of Sid. That should make things a lot more stable right from the gitgo, but, as I teased you in my previous post, it's still pretty early to expect that everything (or maybe nothing) will work all of the time.

With the shortened nine month life cycle of the interim releases now (between the LTS versions), personally, I don't expect a lot of release specific bugs to be fixed. It seems that most of the energy is spent putting out a good LTS release (and it should be). The interim releases all point to the next LTS.

I have noticed in Xubuntu, that several small bugs have already been fixed in 14.04, that nagged at me in 13.10. Time will tell, but, I think this is going to be a great release.

I always use the dev releases, and I'll move on to the next one as soon as I can. I like playing with them, bugs or no. In fact, it's been so long since I've actually used a "stable" release, I'm not even sure how well they work any more.

My suggestion to all is...

If you like working with the dev releases, try not to sweat the small stuff. Just relax, and let it unfold in front of you. It's all good.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; November 18th, 2013 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added clarification - see post #18

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,

These problems are transitional, the result of conflicting dependencies in a development version. Most should be corrected before 16.04 or 17.10. What is needed at this point is patience and reporting.

i believe you mean 14.04 LTS! After all 16.04 is April of 2016 AND 17.10 is October of 2017! Just FYI!
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Dell Inspiron 400 HD Desktop with a 120 GB Crucial SSD and Lubuntu 14.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Weird, so far the only problems that I have had in 14.04 is 1 instance of Broken Packages on Running Dist-Upgrade and 1 Instance of my WIFI NOT Working just now (The second problem was most likely due to installing Unity 8 earlier today).
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Dell Inspiron 400 HD Desktop with a 120 GB Crucial SSD and Lubuntu 14.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan8152 View Post
    i believe you mean 14.04 LTS! After all 16.04 is April of 2016 AND 17.10 is October of 2017! Just FYI!
    Nope I mean what I said. I started with Karmic Koala and vaguely remember trying to get a windows driver working with ndiswrapper, everything else is long forgotten. I have been running dev versions to this day. I expect that by 2016 or 2017 the OP will have forgotten what today's problems are and shortly thereafter reminiscing about how wonderful the Unity desktop was and how crappy the new offering is. FYI

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast