Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm back testing Ubuntu (Trusty) after a lengthy absence!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: I'm back testing Ubuntu (Trusty) after a lengthy absence!

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan8152 View Post
    Finally have Unlimited Internet again so I'm back, it's seperate from my Mom and Dad's Internet so they no longer object if I run Ubuntu, .
    That's odd. Why would they care what you put on it? It's your computer after all.
    I share a house with two adults and it's broken into 3 apartments. I'm the only Linux user and no one cares that I'm running it. I'm hooked to the router same as them.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I'm back testing Ubuntu (Trusty) after a lengthy absence!

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    That's odd. Why would they care what you put on it? It's your computer after all.
    I share a house with two adults and it's broken into 3 apartments. I'm the only Linux user and no one cares that I'm running it. I'm hooked to the router same as them.
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to the volume of updates taking up bandwidth during development cycle.

Beans

Kevpan,

I am glad to see you made it. A little advice I have gotten from installing updates. Everything in every repository looks good but there are hidden dependencies to some programs that Software Center doesn't recognize the issue of installing the app anyway and; I have lost several installs. (the O/S wouldn't boot or bad HDD but wise up, there are a lot of errors due to incompatibility and coding errors that resemble a corrupt HDD to fsck.

But seriously have a good one, meet all your needs and remember, this is not all serious all the time.

DL

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

For some reason or another, Ubuntu 13.10 did NOT offer me the option to install alongside Windows 8.1, maybe because of the fact that I am using X64 Windows 8.1 while I was trying to Install X64 Ubuntu 13.10 along side X64 Windows 8.1. I wonder if I have to use X86 Ubuntu 13.10 in order to install it along side X64 Windows 8.1 and then Upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04?
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Dell Inspiron 400 HD Desktop with a 120 GB Crucial SSD and Lubuntu 14.04.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    They basically (my dad in General) thinks Linux is an Untrustworthy Operating System that most Computer Hackers use to try to Hack the U.S. Government! He is more than a little Paranoid if I run Linux on his Computer Network, the Police and/or FBI will come to our house and accuse us of trying to over throw the U.S. Government, or something like that. He says that Linux can easilly become infected with a Zombie Virus and then try to attack other computers with a Denial of Service Attack as a so called Zombie Machine. As I said, he is really Paranoid about Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's referring to the volume of updates taking up bandwidth during development cycle.
    That and the fact that our Home Network does NOT belong to me. It belongs to my Parents. I live with my Parents due being Unemployeed and having a Mental Disorder for which I am on Public Assistance (Social Security Disability Income, Medicare, and Medicaid from the U.S. Government and the State of Illinois). My dad does NOT trust Linux at all. See my Previous Post for more info.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by acodea View Post
    Kevpan,

I am glad to see you made it. A little advice I have gotten from installing updates. Everything in every repository looks good but there are hidden dependencies to some programs that Software Center doesn't recognize the issue of installing the app anyway and; I have lost several installs. (the O/S wouldn't boot or bad HDD but wise up, there are a lot of errors due to incompatibility and coding errors that resemble a corrupt HDD to fsck.

But seriously have a good one, meet all your needs and remember, this is not all serious all the time.

DL
    Acodea, I am a Previous Ubuntu Alpha/Beta Tester. My old screen name was KEVPAN815. Ever since the Website was Redesigned, I can no longer sign into that User Name anymore. I should also note that i have previously Beta Tested for Microsoft, and am currently Beta Testing for Apple (I am currently in the Apple IOS Developer Program) I know all about NOT to do Partial Upgrades, and that for Development Builds,Updating though the Command Line usally works out better in the long run. I should also note that I do have 2 Spare Hard Disk Drives in case of an Emergency.

Beans

says here you have to install the Wubi alongside in LTSes only!

Beans
    Distro

As far as I know WUBI was retired and replaced with the Dual Boot Install Process as shown in the Pictures Taken by Ventrical. The only problem was, I was NOT offered that option in 13.10 Setup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan8152 View Post
    Acodea, I am a Previous Ubuntu Alpha/Beta Tester. My old screen name was KEVPAN815. Ever since the Website was Redesigned, I can no longer sign into that User Name anymore. I should also note that i have previously Beta Tested for Microsoft, and am currently Beta Testing for Apple (I am currently in the Apple IOS Developer Program) I know all about NOT to do Partial Upgrades, and that for Development Builds,Updating though the Command Line usally works out better in the long run. I should also note that I do have 2 Spare Hard Disk Drives in case of an Emergency.

Sweet,

Pleased to shake neurons wit such a skilled individual. I am not advising you not to leave a key in the door, as Gandalf would have said. But I am not speaking to just you but to other readers. I am upset with my self for the number od Linux problems that have caused me to lose everything and start again. It is good to have experience though and I'll quit and desist teasing you. I seldom have files from old installs if I haven't broken the Harddrive and had to salvage it.

Thanks for helping to improve the Computer experiences for all of us, cheers &etc...

Regards,

DL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast