Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

I just read a Phoronix article in which Gabe Newell confirmed that Valve Corporation's Steam client is coming to Linux by the end of 2012 or earlier. If he does make good on his word, then this will be simply awesome news. I hope that they target Ubuntu as one of their primary goals for bringing Steam to Linux.

Right now, I purchased CrossOver for Linux 64 bit 11.2.0. I have the Valve Corporation Steam client for Windows installed and I have Sid Meier's Civilization V with a couple of DLCs that I purchased. I have not played this game yet and I am holding off because I have to study for my Graduate Record Examination.

If this does become reality, then it will be most definitely one of the big highlights of this year. I know that there are countless numbers of Ubuntu Forums users that dual-boot into Microsoft Windows and they use Steam to play Windows PC games. This would mean that they could play their Steam games in Ubuntu and perhaps they can get rid of Windows altogether for certain folks.

Valve has hired a lot of impressive Linux talent recently and they are building up their Linux team with additional key hires. If they can manage to pull this off with the fewest bugs and problems, then it will mean that millions of Linux customers will do business with them in the future. There are so many games that I want to purchase and play in Ubuntu using the Steam client.

Things just keep getting better for the Linux community every year.

Beans

Re: Valve Corporation's Steam is coming to Linux in 2012

Old News
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just out of curiosity, if you own a disc copy of a game, can you enter the disc "code" to play it if it is available on steam? As in, I own Civ 4, and it's on steam, would I be able to enter the product key to play it on steam?
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if you own a disc copy of a game, can you enter the disc "code" to play it if it is available on steam? As in, I own Civ 4, and it's on steam, would I be able to enter the product key to play it on steam?
    If you had WINE/POL yes.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

By the end of 2012 or earlier? Now we have a date. If it doesn't happen by the end of this year, we can finally put Phoronix's lies to rest, once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by cbennett926 View Post
    Yes. When Half-Life 2 came out, I bought it on disc. A while later, I threw the disc away. I was able to reinstall it with Steam.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Valve won't bring Steam to Linux because there's no marklet for it.

Make linux market for games worty: quit Steam () at all and support those who are building the market.

http://www.desura.com/
    http://www.gameolith.com/
    The market follow people's wallet... not their mouth
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Steam is coming to Linux, it's not a rumor and not a "phoronix lie". I do not think Valve ever made a big announcment but they have officially confirmed that it's in the works several times: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/v...-linux-support

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexan View Post
    Valve won't bring Steam to Linux because there's no marklet for it.

Make linux market for games worty: quit Steam () at all and support those who are building the market.

http://www.desura.com/
    http://www.gameolith.com/
    The market follow people's wallet... not their mouth

Steam is confirmed with source/left 4 dead 2 already working.

Beans

I'll believe it when I see it. There's not much money in Linux gaming, but a few big companies throwing their weight in could help change that once gamers start crossing over. I know at least a few people who would switch to Ubuntu if it were more games friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    Steam is coming to Linux, it's not a rumor and not a "phoronix lie". I do not think Valve ever made a big announcment but they have officially confirmed that it's in the works several times: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/v...-linux-support
    Wow. That's the first time I've seen anything at all that looks trustworthy. I guess you can trust Valve's own managing director when he said they are supporting Linux.

Maybe soon, we'll be able to put this to rest with Duke Nukem Forever and Gimp 2.8.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast