Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Networking in Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Strange Networking in Karmic

As a continuation of the now closed thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1300774) dealing with the seemingly random networking issues in Karmic, just wondering if anyone else can confirm some wireless networking problems.

I'm running an Atheros chipset and using ath5k for wireless on a Lenovo z61e, as well as having rid myself of network-manager (pos) and wicd I just use direct definitions in /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf. In short, when I first login and start-up any browser, things move fine for a few minutes, but quickly goes incredibly slow. If I wait about five minutes, everything seems to return back to normal. I'm wondering if there's an ipv6 setting I'm missing or something similar. I've already done all the "tricks" about getting things to work; e.g., editing /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf.

Any other ideas?
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans

Re: Strange Networking in Karmic

I can confirm there's a problem with wireless. My symptoms match yours exactly, although my wifi setup is very simple.

I note that the wireless connection to router is fine -- it connects OK and stays connected. It's the connecting to the web through the wireless router that seems a problem.

Also, I notice that ping seems fine. It's only more sophisticated connections that fail.

Beans

I just did a clean install to 9.10 from 8.10, and I am having the same issues.
    I have an Atheros AR5001X+. It's connected to the AP pretty solid, but we pages won't load consistently, and I keep getting connection reset. I used to run the card under madwifi with no problems should I switch back?

Beans

Yeah me too. I also have an Atheros Chipset on my wireless card. Super slow speeds all around.

Beans

Same problem here (Netgear WG311T via ath5k on 9.10):
    Initial download speed as expected, after a minute or so:
    a) speed goes down to zero
    b) cannot ping router(gateway&dns), can still ping other PCs on local network
    c) ~30-90 seconds later downloads resume but speed drops (to zero) again after around a minute

The above repeats indefinitely. (No problems with router etc. with other OSs on same PC)

Only installed 9.10 yesterday so haven't tried madwifi yet. This problem makes installing/upgrading large packages almost impossible since the download frequently times out (luckily the partial apt downloads are resumed).
    Last edited by vkov_tinsky; October 31st, 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

AKAIK, this is "normal" behavior for 9.10 right now... I don't know if there's any particular "fix" planned, but I know there are a lot of us in the same boat...

Beans
    Distro

Hmm... I'm beginning to wonder if this could be an Avahi issue... any ideas?

Beans

i have been using ubuntu for 1 and half year now after i got fed up with vista... i joined this forum because i having this trouble ever since my coll decided to go with MAC filtering with access points...i am able to connect with dual booted win7 on the same system as well as with karmic on wep enabled access points..but not on MAC filtered ones...i am able to connect using Win 7 though.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

My situation is eeePC 1101HA with a fresh install of Karmic. The WiFi Adapter is Atheros AR9285 and my problem is the same as yours...very slow network speed.
    I read about an IPV6 problem...is there a useful thread?
    Asus eeePC 1215B

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lokutus25 View Post
    My situation is eeePC 1101HA with a fresh install of Karmic. The WiFi Adapter is Atheros AR9285 and my problem is the same as yours...very slow network speed.
    I read about an IPV6 problem...is there a useful thread?
    For disabling ipv6? Only a million... A quick search will turn up lots for you.

It would seem by my discussion in other threads it is still related to a dns issue, even though that doesn't seem to be my problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast