Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: modem-manager not working

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: modem-manager not working

Quote Originally Posted by xlearner View Post
    Dear Surja,

I was able to figure out how to make it work on Ubuntu 12.04 using the instructions from this forum: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modes...opic.php?t=960.

I hope you are also using the same distribution. But installing the debian package did not work. For some reason it failed. I had to do it manually.

Here are the steps:

1. Go to folder: /usr/share/usb_modeswitch. In this folder, there is one zipped file: configPack.tar.gz.

The next step depends on this configPack.tar.gz. So, if you do not have this file, then I suggest you reinstall usb_modeswitch along with the data files from synaptic package manager.

2. Copy this file into a folder of your choice. Say, home/test.

Code:
    $ cp /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/configPack.tar.gz /home/test
    3. Then unzip the file configPack.tar.gz
    Code:
    $ cd /home/test 
    $ tar -xvf configPack.tar.gz
    4. After unzipping, invoke the following command:
    Code:
    $ sudo /usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -I -W -s 10 -c "<path-to>/12d1:1446" -v 12d1 -p 1446
    where <path-to> in this case is /home/test.

After a few minutes my usb modem switched. Once it has switched, connecting to the Internet is simple. I believe that you can easily figure out the steps.

Xlearner
    sorted in one way , but Can suggest downloading the source files from the site,

the instructions to install are easy to follow , do know that Debian packages will break Ubuntu version , it is Mentioned at the site.

before installing source , un-install the Ubuntu version including the data

see what happens

regards

alexfish
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexfish View Post
    Here is a sample
    Remember to change the ID's according to the device Highlighted in blue , as listed by the (lsusb) command
    Code:
    sudo su
    Code:
    gedit /usr/bin/option_1C9E:9605
    add code : Remember to change the ID's according to the device Highlighted in blue , as listed by the (lsusb) command
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    echo 1C9E 9605 > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
    save the file and exit gedit
    Code:
    chmod +x /usr/bin/option_1C9E:9605
    Code:
    gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/option.rules
    add the code: Remember to edit the device Id's according to your device , note the lowercase letters !!!! IE , c , not C :
    Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1c9e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9605", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe option"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1c9e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9605", RUN+="/usr/bin/option_1C9E:9605"
    save and exit

if not loading try re-plugging the device
    Thanks, this solved my problem with my modem (D-Link DWM-156 with ID 07d1:7e11)

Beans

Alexfish,

I uninstalled the usb_modeswitch installed by ubuntu. Then, I downloaded and compiled the code. Now, the modem connects automatically and everythings works fine !!

So looks like there is a bug in Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks
    Xlearner

Beans

Angry Re: modem-manager not working

Plz help me I am new to ubuntu platform.
    I am want to use samsung mobile as mobile modem in ubuntu 11.04 but not able do it.
    i use this code
    Code:
      lsusb
    and get this
    get usb info 04e8:6795 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd, S5230

and also use this code
    Code:
     ls -al/dev/serial/by-id
    and get this
    Code:
      Usb_Samsung_Electronics_Mobile_USB_Modem_1.0_335411803284587_9_if00../../ttyACM0
    when i use
    Code:
      gnome-ppp
    and try setup modem didn't get tty/ACM0 modem

plz help...

Beans

is ALexfish is would like help here also http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2061631&page=2 ?
    I won't post same thing any where that why I just give my post link .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rienesl View Post
    Hi,
    got exactly the same Problem with the XS Stick P14 (1c9e:9605). After hours of searching for a solution, I did the following:
    1) First tell networtk-manager, he should remember the PIN for the SIM-Card. This will be important for step 3!
    2) Adding the following line in /etc/rc.local:
    Code:
    modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1c9e product=0x9605
    This switches the stick from datastore-mode into the modem-mode.
    3) Added a script with the following in auto-start:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    sleep 75
    nmcli nm wwan on
    This gets around the bug of the network-manager, which disables the mobile broadband after every restart. Don't be suprised about the 75 seconds wait. The USB-Stick takes up to 55 Seconds to initialisize after typing in the pin for the sim. Additionally the networkmanager is launched after the script started and it will need a few seconds to start itself. So adding at this point 20 seconds is safe, you might try up to 10 seconds, but that might fail. Will definitive fail, if you skipped point 1!
    4) (Optional) Configure the mobile connection to connect automatically

Works so far, but fails, when unplugging the stick. I thought, I'll have to live with this, but then I was searching for something different and found this. I tried your advise which is described in post 11 and now replugging works. OK, it woks not 100% I still have to re-enable mobile broadband, by typing in
    Code:
    nmcli nm wwan on
    but hey, I don't have to restart the whole machine anymore
    you mean edit the "rc.local" file and add the lines anywhere

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexfish View Post
    Here is a sample
    Remember to change the ID's according to the device Highlighted in blue , as listed by the (lsusb) command
    Code:
    sudo su
    Code:
    gedit /usr/bin/option_1C9E:9605
    add code : Remember to change the ID's according to the device Highlighted in blue , as listed by the (lsusb) command
    Code:
    #! /bin/bash
    echo 1C9E 9605 > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id
    save the file and exit gedit
    Code:
    chmod +x /usr/bin/option_1C9E:9605
    Code:
    gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/option.rules
    add the code: Remember to edit the device Id's according to your device , note the lowercase letters !!!! IE , c , not C :
    Code:
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1c9e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9605", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe option"
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1c9e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9605", RUN+="/usr/bin/option_1C9E:9605"
    save and exit

if not loading try re-plugging the device
    Your Advice helps me also. Thanks Alexfish.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by xlearner View Post
    Alexfish,

I uninstalled the usb_modeswitch installed by ubuntu. Then, I downloaded and compiled the code. Now, the modem connects automatically and everythings works fine !!

So looks like there is a bug in Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks
    Xlearner
    I think this is the best solution and works perfectly for 12.04 and it's derivatives like Mint 13 etc.

Beans

hi all,

im new here came to this bye using google, i have a 3g dongle from vodafone code k4305 it says on the box.
    i was trying to connect it bye using this guide but when i type sudo su in terminal i must type my password but i cant type ?
    i can type normal but when i must type my password after i typed sudo su i cant type...

please help,

thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is not a problem. You are typing the password but u cannot see it. This is enabled by default in linux distros to avoid any chance of getting the password by people behind your back.(the normal * would also do the same thing but it will reveal the length of it). So you should type the password as it is and press enter, it will work.
    HP G42-356TU 4GB-RAM, 500GB-HDD
    DUAL BOOT:
    Primary : KUBUNTU 14.04 (TRUSTY) 64bit
    Secondary : DEEPIN 2014 64 Bit

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567