Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Viruses/Malware affect ubuntu?

Beans

Can Viruses/Malware affect ubuntu?

I'm fairly new to ubuntu or rather the whole linux environment and have been using it as my daily desktop recently. I want to ask if ubuntu/linux in general requires an anti-malware? (I have switched from windows 10)
    Could a malware such as one made in python affect ubuntu or linux in any way by running a script in background which hijacks/installs backdoor or connects to a botnet without my knowledge?
    Can such rogue processes be detected/caught?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can Viruses/Malware affect ubuntu?

Thread moved to Security a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I am sure that you will get many opinions about whether a virus scanner is needed. Let me give you mine:

I have been using Ubuntu or Xubuntu for 10+ years now. I have over 10 machines being used by either myself or others (family members). I also have 2 machines that are used by various different people. I have never had a problem with a virus on any of these machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

See the security link in my signature.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

There is a virus detector in the repos, Clamav. It isn't for individual users; it's for servers which handle Windows programs, to prevent infected Windows programs to be distributed.

In >11 years, I have had zero malware. Relax.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you do high risk activities, then running an A/V scanner would be useful. What are high-risk activities?
    * Running any daemon that is available over the internet
    * Not running an ad-blocker in all your browsers
    * Allowing any Java or Javascript webpages without limitation
    * Surfing to nasty parts of the internet
    * copy/pasting commands from anywhere without understanding 100% what they do
    * installing and using software from disreputable sources, bad PPAs, bad sources
    * clicking any shortened links, or long links from disreputable sources
    * have WINE installed; people do get windows viruses in WINE
    * don't patch and otherwise maintain your Linux system(s)

If you deal with documents that Windows people create or you share documents with Windows users, then running an A/V scanner could be useful.

If you don't do those things, running an A/V on Linux that searches for Windows viruses isn't really useful.

Linux systems tend to be used as C&C servers if they get hacked. Normally, that would happen not from doing desktop-user stuff, but by running internet services like a web server or email or ftp or dns server that is available to the world. If you don't do that stuff and have a current, patched, maintained, router blocking all inbound connections to your LAN, then you don't need to worry.

The "Basic Ubuntu Security" webpage has more. Google finds it easily.

Could someone setup a reverse shell into your system? Yes, but only if they gain access to it in the first place. You can google "how to setup a reverse shell" for a guide. netcat, bash, ssh all support reverse shells over a network. These tools have been around for decades, but are seldom used by "bad guys."

In 25+ yrs, I've been hacked 3 times. Only once was it due to something a desktop user would have enabled. A laptop I'd installed and patched the day prior to visiting a security conference was hacked when I wasn't connected to any network, but had neglected to disable bluetooth. Since then, I softblock bluetooth devices and remove bluetooth programs.
    Code:
    $ rfkill list
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
            Soft blocked: no
            Hard blocked: no
    3: hci0: Bluetooth
            Soft blocked: yes
            Hard blocked: no
    The other hacks were due to me running daemons available to the internet. End-users don't to that stuff normally.
    Last edited by TheFu; October 22nd, 2019 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

this wiki may be worth considering:
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

have WINE installed; people do get windows viruses in WINE
    For this one, this is a bit disingenuous. To get a virus in WINE, you would need to fall into a very, very special set of use cases:

• you ran a web browser or vulnerable, internet-facing program from WINE - win32's kernel32.startProcess inherits your current wine prefix, so a vulnerability that causes your web browser to call this on malicious input would affect you
    • you purposefully ran a suspicious Windows executable using the wine command (they don't do this themselves, you know!)

In order to get a virus to run in WINE, either it has to start from a process or service running within WINE, or exploit an app vulnerability in Linux with explicit Linux shell or syscall functionality to load it into WINE. But if someone could run arbitrary commands on your machine via a vulnerability, why would they bother targeting WINE?

Also, a WINE security pro-tip, Ubuntu defaults Z:\to / in your winecfg. Delete this so that if you ever did get a virus, it's limited to your wine prefix or the default prefix, ~/.wine/drive_c

Then if you ever do get a Windows virus in WINE, it's just a matter of

Code:
    rm -rf $WINEPREFIX
    and you're golden.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Don't all security issues fall into a narrow scope of possible configurations and user actions? People do run WINE as root because they don't understand permissions. People do run old, unpatched, Windows software in WINE. Perhaps an old bittorrent application, because they prefer that interface. People do run known virus-containing programs in WINE because they think Linux is safe, regardless.

Not all Windows viruses will work under WINE, but some do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Don't all security issues fall into a narrow scope of possible configurations and user actions? People do run WINE as root because they don't understand permissions. People do run old, unpatched, Windows software in WINE. Perhaps an old bittorrent application, because they prefer that interface. People do run known virus-containing programs in WINE because they think Linux is safe, regardless.

Not all Windows viruses will work under WINE, but some do.
    I mean yes, but that's true with running a web browser in root as well, given GNOME ships with a JavaScript runtime environment. Pointing out WINE for vulnerabilities that aren't much different from Linux is just FUD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast