Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would an optional "pay what you want" for Ubuntu conflict with FLOSS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Would an optional "pay what you want" for Ubuntu conflict with FLOSS?

It worked for Radiohead as listeners went to download "In Rainbows" en masse. Could it work for Canonical?
    Last edited by Starks; December 31st, 2009 at 11:21 PM.

Beans

Re: Would an optional "pay what you want" for Ubuntu conflict with FLOSS?

not with FLOSS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yep, that would be perfectly legal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think people would get annoyed if they installed the OS and were hit with "give us money" ads though. Especially since no other Linux distro does it. Unless it only came up once, the first time you booted up the OS after install. Canonical is a for profit private company. So I don't really see why anyone should donate anything to them. If you want to buy a Ubuntu tshirt, okay. But donating to them when there are so many other causes that are non-profit and don't have a source of revenue seems like a better way to give away your money.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 260 w/896MB DDR3 @ 655MHz
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 2000
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2x fake RAID0)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by blueshiftoverwatch View Post
    I think people would get annoyed if they installed the OS and were hit with "give us money" ads though. Especially since no other Linux distro does it. Unless it only came up once, the first time you booted up the OS after install. Canonical is a for profit private company. So I don't really see why anyone should donate anything to them. If you want to buy a Ubuntu tshirt, okay. But donating to them when there are so many other causes that are non-profit and don't have a source of revenue seems like a better way to give away your money.
    You completely missed the point of my post. The pay option would occur before Ubuntu is even downloaded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Starks View Post
    You completely missed the point of my post. The pay option would occur before Ubuntu is even downloaded.
    You never specified in your post where the donation ad would be located. I just assumed you meant when you first booted up the OS.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 260 w/896MB DDR3 @ 655MHz
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 2000
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2x fake RAID0)

Beans
    Distro

Whatever. I assumed you'd infer that from my use of Radiohead as an example.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It could work, but I think Canonical is trying to stay away from having a "Donations" button on their site. I see them trying to compete with companies such as Red Hat or Novell, except that their community driven OS is the main platform they use vs. having seperate community and business OS's. They're trying to find the market value of FOSS that can drive business, such as paid support for example. In my opinion, asking for donations cheapens the product somehow, like it can't survive on it's own merit.

If you support Ubuntu, then support it with your $$ by purchasing CDs/DVDs and either hoard them, or better yet, give them away to spread the word. Or buy a subscription for paid support instead of relying on the forums. What ever you find valuable, but it's up to Canoncial to figure out how it can keep it's business afloat without donations. IMHO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

A poor assumption to make. Your original point simply wasn't very clear.

That said, I would be fine with it, and would probably be more inclined to donate if such a system were in place. I get enough utility from Ubuntu to be more than happy paying some money for it.

It does have some implementation problems, like how to implement this for users who are using dist-upgrade through the terminal and so forth.
    Focus is Cash in the Economics of Attention
    No one should apologize for, nor act threatened as a result of their preferences.- PapaRaven

Beans

I hope you are not assuming that everyone on the planet knows Radiohead?

And I agree with Ticopelp....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast