Thread: Ubuntu on a flipphone?

Beans

Ubuntu on a flipphone?

I have an old flipphone lying around, Its a ZTE z221. Could I possibly install Ubuntu on this? Would it work? I know Android flipphones have been made. Why not Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on a flipphone?

Welcome to the forums!

No, the phone is not nearly powerful enough for it. Perhaps a custom Linux From Scratch install *might* work but that would take a lot of time and effort. For what the phone is I would just let it be a reminder of how our phone technology has progressed over the years.

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans

Thanks for the help!

Beans

The phone I use is actually an old (ancient) Moto w376g I found and rigged, hacked, and tinkered with until it had the basic functions of a smartphone. Would that support any type of Ubuntu/Linux distro?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lorcastrand View Post
    The phone I use is actually an old (ancient) Moto w376g I found and rigged, hacked, and tinkered with until it had the basic functions of a smartphone. Would that support any type of Ubuntu/Linux distro?
    Caboose's reply still applies to your Moto w376g phone.

To give you some perspective, I bought a top-of-the-range Android phone in 2010. Somebody ported Ubuntu Touch to it last year and it runs dreadfully. Much worse than the preinstalled Android. It's only good for a demonstration of "look what I can do!". It probably doesn't even work with the later versions of Ubuntu Touch.

You need a lot of grunt and a big touchscreen to run Ubuntu Touch. You couldn't run it on a $79 smartphone from today, much less a basic feature-phone from 2008. Sorry.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think no.. you can not use it on this phone.