Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix On Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Netflix On Ubuntu

The only way for Netflix to come to Ubuntu natively is for Netflix to drop silverlight. They use a bit of DRM in silverlight that Microsoft refuses to license out to Desktop Linuxes or to allow to run in moonlight, although it has licensed it out to mobile phones running android, and blu-rays running linux kernels, and to streaming devices running linux kernels, and to OSX.

Chrome OS uses a hardware chip that handles the DRM, that's the only way Microsoft was going to license it.

The MS DRM is called PlayReady
    Last edited by jerome1232; November 16th, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!

Netflix and MS Windows is in tight relationship.
    They share board members I recall.
    MS Windows hates free Linux so I don't expect anything good regarding same. they do get Chrome OS and Android but then that is not free as you have to buy the Chrome book or Android device.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I really don't think there's any need for conspiracy theories here; the UK company Lovefilm has a very similar streaming service that also relies on Silverlight. It's probably just that Microsoft have the best (for this purpose) DRM system, and see no compelling case to port it to Linux. No need to assume malice, really.

I can't wait for the PPA to come out...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I wish they would develop a new solution for streaming but that aint happening

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

No conspiracy theory, Microsoft publicly stated the reason they won't license PlayReady to Linux on a Desktop is because they fear hackers will crack their DRM, which is ridiculous.

Silverlight runs via Moonlight in Linux, what doesn't is the PlayReady drm. All I'm stating is this is more Microsofts fault that it won't run on Linux than it is Netflix's fault. Honestly I'd rather watch it on one of my blu-rays or on my Wii and don't much care if it works on Linux or not, I do wish it worked on my Netbook while in Ubuntu however.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Well I'm definitely going to try this Wine hack because I'd love to be able to watch Netflix vids on my HTPC rather than using Roku to stream to my crappy TV

I'm stuck in a no-mans-land where it's expensive to get decent TV or Internet so I can't afford both

And the EMI/RMI is horrible here due to industrial level grain production so wireless more than sucks!

I'd love to catch up on Deadwood, Supernatural, and The Walking Dead w/o having to install Windows so this is a potentially huge breakthrough!

I'm nursing some sick dogs ATM but I'll try this very soon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'd love to catch up on Deadwood, Supernatural, and The Walking Dead w/o having to install Windows so this is a potentially huge breakthrough!
    Netflix doesn't stream HBO shows like Deadwood. Walking Dead they have the first 2 seasons. Supernatural I've never seen--is it good?

Beans
    Hidden!

Just tried this following the compile and all and it cant find the silverlight plugin = fail.
    Just read the comment section as many say the same thing
    Firefox works ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That looks like to much work. I stick to watching netflix on my PS3 and Boxee box.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Netflix doesn't stream HBO shows like Deadwood. Walking Dead they have the first 2 seasons. Supernatural I've never seen--is it good?
    I thought I saw Deadwood in the list of DVD's available if I chose to get a DVD at a time

I saw the first season of the Walking Dead and I loved it, but then I had to cut the cord/cable

I started watching Supernatural on Hulu about one year ago, I can also watch it on "the CW" but that's very fiddly ... the ads suck.

Supernatural is kind of a quirky/corny show. A combo of sci-fi/horror with a taste of humor. But I'd love to see it from season 1 -->

I've seroiusly been thinking about doing the DVD only thing with Netflix so I can enjoy in hi-def. It makes no sense to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a hi-def TV that can't get reception w/o a major investment.

BTW:

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/De...9?locale=en-US

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast