Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't ssh into my instance.

Beans

Can't ssh into my instance.

Hello,
    So, I'm installing UEC 10.04 and I have gotten all the way through the process with no problem. I can get an instance running, I can ping it, everything is golden….except I can’t ssh in.

For whatever reason, the store is not available from my web interface, so I have downloaded bundles from Ubuntu, Eucalyptus, and created a custom bundle as well. All three are registered and when I instantiate the instance and run euca-describe-instances, they show as running. I can ping them and even see console output.

I’m running the command:
    ssh -i mykey.priv root@A.B.C.xxx (obviously substituting my network info. I’m also aware that ubuntu bundles log in as ubuntu, eucalyptus bundles log in as root, and my custom is whatever I set up).

After running the command, I get:
    root@A.B.C.xxx‘s password:

Neither Ubuntu or Eucalyptus mention anything about a password, and my custom image has two users (in addition to root), one with a password, one without, and I still have the same problem.
    I’ve also tried using VNC, and ftp with the same outcome. It keeps asking for the password. I'm thinking there might be some sort of meta-data problem where it isn't injecting my key properly, but I can't find any documentation on it.

Any ideas? Are there any default passwords I’m not aware of?
    Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Can't ssh into my instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm's Lawyer View Post

For whatever reason, the store is not available from my web interface, so I have downloaded bundles from Ubuntu, Eucalyptus, and created a custom bundle as well.

I’m running the command:
    ssh -i mykey.priv root@A.B.C.xxx (obviously substituting my network info. I’m also aware that ubuntu bundles log in as ubuntu, eucalyptus bundles log in as root, and my custom is whatever I set up).

Wow, that's a lot of stuff.
    I'd first like to find out why I couldn't get to the store. Did you create you credentials?
    None of the instances from the store has user accounts, nor do they let you use passwords (See Ritty's thread).
    If you used the IP address previously to ssh another host then your .ssh/known_hosts file will have an entry for the old host (especially if you terminate and restart the same instance). You must delete the line in the file to remove the old key.
    But first, find out why you can't get to the store. That seem to me the first order of business.
    One last thing. instances from the store do not use root to log in with. Your command line should be 'ssh -i mykey.priv ubuntu@A.B.C.xxx'
    Last edited by Rusty au Lait; September 23rd, 2010 at 08:07 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty au Lait View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of stuff.
    I'd first like to find out why I couldn't get to the store. Did you create you credentials?
    None of the instances from the store has user accounts, nor do they let you use passwords (See Ritty's thread).
    If you used the IP address previously to ssh another host then your .ssh/known_hosts file will have an entry for the old host (especially if you terminate and restart the same instance). You must delete the line in the file to remove the old key.
    But first, find out why you can't get to the store. That seem to me the first order of business.
    One last thing. instances from the store do not use root to log in with. Your command line should be 'ssh -i mykey.priv ubuntu@A.B.C.xxx'
    Thanks for your reply,
    Yes I did create credentials (tried both graphically by logging in via web browser and using command line). The reason I can't get to the store, is apparently canonical has moved it... I get:
    Error 6: Couldn't Resolve Host
    'imagestore.canonical.com'

Also, when I just try to get there on my own, it says the page doesn't exist. Seems to me like a hard coded address somewhere and canonical did a little restructuring of their site. I'm not incredibly worried about that.

I've also cleared out the old keys from my authorized_keys file but to no avail. All that means is that I have to accept my new instance before I can run it. It actually seems to me that the node isn't recognizing my key as an authorized method of logging in, which is what led me to the meta-data conclusion.

Would there be any reason meta-data might not be working on my system?

Thanks again.

Beans

I've also cleared out the old keys from my authorized_keys file but to no avail. All that means is that I have to accept my new instance before I can run it. It actually seems to me that the node isn't recognizing my key as an authorized method of logging in, which is what led me to the meta-data conclusion.

Would there be any reason meta-data might not be working on my system?

Thanks again.
    Can you reach the store yet? I would not suspect the meta-data file yet unless you created the image yourself.

You created your credietals twice. Make sure there are not two separate mykey.priv files One might be in ~/ and one in ~/.euca

Sorry. I should have told you that only one line in the known_hosts needed to be deleted.

when you say you are logging into the NC do you mean the host NC (A.B.C.hostip) or the instance running on the host NC (from euca-describe-instances)?
    Are you using Elasticfox, HybridFox, or the command line?
    Inquiring(nosey) minds want to know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty au Lait View Post
    Can you reach the store yet? I would not suspect the meta-data file yet unless you created the image yourself.

You created your credietals twice. Make sure there are not two separate mykey.priv files One might be in ~/ and one in ~/.euca

Sorry. I should have told you that only one line in the known_hosts needed to be deleted.

when you say you are logging into the NC do you mean the host NC (A.B.C.hostip) or the instance running on the host NC (from euca-describe-instances)?
    Are you using Elasticfox, HybridFox, or the command line?
    Inquiring(nosey) minds want to know.
    So, it appears I had a fundamental networking dysfunction. Bear with me, this might get a little convoluted. So, I had my public network set up as a 192.168.A.B address and my private as a 10.14.C.D address. I noticed throughout the tutorials that both networks had the same first two triplets and different on the last two. I got to wondering if perhaps I should change that. After switching both public and private addresses to 192.168 addresses and differentiating the third triplet, I played with my subnet masking and managed to get everything to work.

Long story short, I now have the store AND I can ssh into my instances. Now I'm on to learning about instance persistence.

Thanks again for your help!

Beans

You can't ssh as "root" into a new instance. You can ssh as "ubuntu" into a new instance.

Hello,
    So, I'm installing UEC 10.04 and I have gotten all the way through the process with no problem. I can get an instance running, I can ping it, everything is golden….except I can’t ssh in.

For whatever reason, the store is not available from my web interface, so I have downloaded bundles from Ubuntu, Eucalyptus, and created a custom bundle as well. All three are registered and when I instantiate the instance and run euca-describe-instances, they show as running. I can ping them and even see console output.

I’m running the command:

Neither Ubuntu or Eucalyptus mention anything about a password, and my custom image has two users (in addition to root), one with a password, one without, and I still have the same problem.
    I’ve also tried using VNC, and ftp with the same outcome. It keeps asking for the password. I'm thinking there might be some sort of meta-data problem where it isn't injecting my key properly, but I can't find any documentation on it.

Any ideas? Are there any default passwords I’m not aware of?
    Thanks in advance.

Beans

I could not ssh into my instances when they were on a 172.16.0.x LAN and found by looking at the console it was full of python errors saying it was unable to reach the Landscape hosts that it wants to call home to. The console output ends there.

I had a similar problem when Amazon had network issues a few months ago on a spot instance - the instance was unable to get rebooted past the point where it tried and failed to connect to Landscape... In neither case did I want to use Landscape

I was hoping that when I recreated my 10.10 UEC servers on public IPs at another location they'd be able to contact Landscape and thus would finish booting. I've continued to have really wacky troubles getting things going and today I get that Bad request signature for the Store that has been reported.

Beans

Hello there,

I am not able to ssh into my instance. It shows the error that permission denied. How to deal with this? I have tried ubuntu@IP and root@IP both, but nothing is fruitful at this point.

Is there solution related to it?

Beans

Did you launch the instance with a key pair? You don't mention running ssh with a key file.

Beans

Thanks for replying,
    I am having my instances in running state, I have used mykey.priv with command as per given in guide.
    Which IP address I have to use to login, the IP of that machine or the IP assigned to that instance which is somehow 172.19.*.* like this?
    My all images are from UEC store.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast