Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Kernel 3.7 and AMD cpu's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thumbs down Re: Kernel 3.7 and AMD cpu's

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how many of us with AMD cpu's are having trouble booting the the latest kernel available in the repositories?

My Intel atom powered netbook runs just fine with the 3.7.0.2 kernel.
    I just tried installing 3.7.1 (on an Intel EM64T Processor running AMD64 13.04, and got an Error saying that I had a Bad Download, don't know why however, unless my WIFI connection is not 100% at the moment, which very well could be a possibility with the Winter Snow Storm affecting us here in the Windy City, my ISP is Verizon Wireless by the way.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Kernel 3.7 and AMD cpu's

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    I just tried installing 3.7.1 (on an Intel EM64T Processor running AMD64 13.04, and got an Error saying that I had a Bad Download, don't know why however, unless my WIFI connection is not 100% at the moment, which very well could be a possibility with the Winter Snow Storm affecting us here in the Windy City, my ISP is Verizon Wireless by the way.
    check the md5sum, sometimes data gets damaged in transit, yuo may have a incomplete download
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Same as many people here, I've tried all kernels and nothing boot since the 3.6 RC1.
    After reading the thread, I've tried installing the amd64-microcode, still hangs.

Tried the noapic noacpi nolapic command lines, still hangs after enumerating my USB peripherals.

My config is an opteron 170 / dfi lanparty nforce 4 ultra D, using x386, not x64.

This is driving me crazy, I can't figure out what's going wrong and searching the web didn't helped .
    I don't want to be stucked with 3.5.7 forever :/.

Downloading latest raring desktop image AMD64, I'll try to see if it boot from USB using x64 and amd64-microcode.
    Last edited by manulemaboul; December 22nd, 2012 at 12:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Kernel 3.7 and AMD cpu's

Quote Originally Posted by manulemaboul View Post
    Same as many people here, I've tried all kernels and nothing boot since the 3.6 RC1.
    After reading the thread, I've tried installing the amd64-microcode, still hangs.

Tried the noapic noacpi nolapic command lines, still hangs after enumerating my USB peripherals.

My config is an opteron 170 / dfi lanparty nforce 4 ultra D, using x386, not x64.

This is driving me crazy, I can't figure out what's going wrong and searching the web didn't helped .
    I don't want to be stucked with 3.5.7 forever :/.

Downloading latest raring desktop image AMD64, I'll try to see if it boot from USB using x64 and amd64-microcode.
    My problem was different from yours, the first file (the all.deb file) that you are supposed to install first failed to even install. If someone could give me instructions on how to check the MD5 Sum in Ubuntu (I have checked MD5's before, but only in Microsoft Windows) I would be very grateful. I did wipe my system today when I updated to today's Nightly Build through Zsync and Clean Install but I do have the 3.7.1 Bad Download saved on a DVD Disk just in case I need to create some kind of Bug Report.
    2013 Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop, 2010 Dell Inspiron 1012 Mini Net Book, 2010 Dell Inspiron Zino HD 400, Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4, and Apple IPad Mini WIFI Only.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

in a terminal
    md5sum /path/to/file
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I know nothing will work, but can I install the x64 version of the 3.7.1 kernel just to test if it'll boot ?

Is there any risks ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There shouldn't be any problem, if you install the 3.7 kernel, just make sure you have something to fallback on, either a running install with the 3.5 kernel, or another stable version.

Beans

Still got the 3.5.7 i386 kernel wich is working, using it right now.

I was a bit scared that the x64 one could break some system files or something.
    Let's try then, thanks .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    My problem was different from yours, the first file (the all.deb file) that you are supposed to install first failed to even install. If someone could give me instructions on how to check the MD5 Sum in Ubuntu (I have checked MD5's before, but only in Microsoft Windows) I would be very grateful. I did wipe my system today when I updated to today's Nightly Build through Zsync and Clean Install but I do have the 3.7.1 Bad Download saved on a DVD Disk just in case I need to create some kind of Bug Report.
    This is how I check the md5 sum. I download the iso to my desktop. In a terminal type cd Desktop. type ls (to see the name o f the iso image), then type md5sum (name of iso image)
    Note that you can start the name of the iso then hit tab to autocomplete the name.

After I get the md5 sum highlight and copy the answer. Go to the web page you downloaded the iso from, look for md5sums. When you are there select edit, find in the browser and paste your md5 sum in the search box. See if it is found.

Beans
    Distro

after not being able to get 3.7 to work for me I tried the 3.8 rc1 and it boots right up .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast