Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9.04 UNR is i386 not LPIA?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

9.04 UNR is i386 not LPIA?

I just wanted to check something before I go and reformat my netbook. The download page for Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 says "An Intel Atom processor" but the download img itself is "ubuntu-9.04-netbook-remix-i386.img". I realize that i386 is compatible with most everything, but is this file actually LPIA optimized?

Thanks

Beans

Re: 9.04 UNR is i386 not LPIA?

I am downloading it and was about to ask the same thing. Anyway I can tell later after I install it in my netbook by looking at the power management performance. If it is i386, the battery performance will drop by one hour, so let see.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The main reason I'm curious is for the performance kicks I've been running 9.04 UNR on my Eee 1000 since Alpha. Of course a 1.6ghz Atom is not amazingly fast. If I can get even a 5% performance boost by re-installing to LPIA I'll be totally thrilled.

Also, you can find out what you are running after install (or during live session) by running `uname -a` from the command prompt. It should return something like:

Code:
    Linux happyfeet 2.6.28-11-generic #41-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 8 04:38:53 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    (That is from my machine on UNR not LPIA)

Beans

I have tested 8.04 lpia, 8.10 lpia, 8.10 i386, 9.04 lpia, and 9.04 i386 on my Atom-equipped Dell Mini 9. (I'm currently using 9.04 lpia just to be cool, but I must say the limited repositories are frustrating.) I have never seen anything even close to an hour difference in battery time; all five of those builds got approximately 4:00 battery life, give or take a few minutes. If there is a difference between lpia and i386, it is not visible to the naked eye. The improvement in speed and performance from 8.04 to 8.10 to 9.04, however, is significant. 9.04 should run great on your netbook regardless of whether you use the i386 or lpia kernel.

Beans

Uname -a gives generic type of kernel instead of lpia, anyway I will test the battery performance tomorrow and I will post the result.

According to the given note in Ubuntu release, my netbook Toshiba NB100 is not supported, but I seems to me that it works just fine.

@snowpine: this is the guide of installing jaunty on NB100, says the degraded battery performance. It was not the jaunty release, instead the rc build.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...00&postcount=1

Beans

Hey guys, it is confirmed now that UNR 9.04 is i386 and not lpia. The first impression when I removed the power supply was:
    1. UNR 8.04 lpia, gave me a notification of 4:15 battery estimation.
    2. UNR 9.04 i386, gave me a notification of 2:50 battery estimation.

Not to mention that I tested it twice and the result was close to 2:50!

I will wait for the lpia architecture to come out before reinstalling the whole system. Now I am using dual boot.

Anyone knows how to create ISO from IMG file? I would like to install it to my older PC which is not able to boot from USB flash.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ekawahyu View Post
    I will wait for the lpia architecture to come out before reinstalling the whole system. Now I am using dual boot.
    9.04 lpia has been available for some time, I've been using it about 2 weeks. I just went over to the Ubuntu site to get a link for you, but the server is CRAWLING with all the people downloading 9.04. I know it is not on the main page, you have to click Ports or something like that...

Be aware that the repositories are smaller, so you won't have as many application choices as with i386.

Sorry to hear the i386 is not working so well on your NB100.

ps The reason they chose i386 over lpia for Ubuntu NBR is obvious to me... not all netbooks use Atom processors. Take the original Asus eee pc, for example, it uses the Celeron processor.

Beans

II find it a bit of a cop out, it's a bit like saying since the original PC only supported the i286 instruction set the latest jaunty distribution was released as only i286, not considering that 99.9 of the other PC had by now passed on to x64.
    lets be honest how many net-books do not use the Atom processor? 2....3?

the most important thing in a net-book is battery performance, do not get me wrong I love UNR, and I am also running the alternate version, but installing it is quite complicated for most people. What made UNR stand apart from windows on a netbook was battery performance and the launcher, we just got rid of one!

Let me add to that, one of the few netbooks that were sold out of the box with UNR like the Toshiba NB100 is not among the supported ones, when I bought mine Ubuntu was one of the deciding factors, I guess I should not have bothered
    Last edited by sandman652001; April 24th, 2009 at 02:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandman652001 View Post
    lets be honest how many netbooks do not use the Atom processor? 2....3?
    Several million?
    Imagine if Ubuntu Netbook Remix did not work on the original Asus eee PC that's been on the market for 2 years. That would just be embarrassing for Canonical.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Several million?
    Imagine if Ubuntu Netbook Remix did not work on the original Asus eee PC that's been on the market for 2 years. That would just be embarrassing for Canonical.
    I obviously was talking about models,It would not have prevented them from installing it since the UNR interface is easily installable from synaptic, the same can not be said for the lpia version of ubuntu

P.s how many millions of Aspire one, MSI winds, etc do you think are around? and how many celeron eepc do you think will be sold in the future?
    Last edited by sandman652001; April 24th, 2009 at 02:29 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast