Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea - popularization of Linux/Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Idea - popularization of Linux/Ubuntu

Recently I've read some statistics about OS usage around the world and I was quite disappointed by the fact that only about 0.8% of people use Linux. Everyone has his/hers taste but 0.8% gives a totally unrealistic picture about the difference in quality of OSes. I mean, there is no way that so many people would find Windows better than Linux if they had a chance to try both OSes.
    I've managed to convince few friends, dad, girlfriend that they should use Ubuntu and all reactions are positive. Since they are all very different persons with different computer knowledge and they've changed their OS from Windows to Linux it shows that it is possible to convince an ordinary person that Linux has such quality and even much more.

When you try to convince someone to try Linux there are few problems. What they've got already works, how it works, it's not that important if they get the job done. They really don't want to reinstall the whole system, and learn new one from the beginning. If they install Ubuntu on Windows as a program, well, that's cool, but if their windows are slow (and they usually are, firewall/antivirus/registry/blabla) Ubuntu can't run fast on such a machine and they get the wrong impression.

I've tried a different approach, everyone of my friends who want to try Ubuntu could try it on my comp. I've made few accounts and installed nxserver. They installed nxclient and they connect to my machine (installation of nxclient+connection to my machine doesn't take more then few mins) and they just work the ordinary tasks, they surf, download/upload, office.. Just to see that it works, that it works much faster and that it's stable. NXclient is good enough even for a slow connections, so there is no problem.

I was thinking maybe that something similar could be done in general. For example that we would have volunteers that would donate few accounts for windows users who want to try Ubuntu. Of course with some security measures, no administrative accounts, regular firewall logs checks and similar stuff.
    Of course you need to have a more ram (4Gb=<) and processing power (dual core) and system that works fine.

What do you think about this kind contribution to popularization? Is it too dangers, or just stupid, would it find it's users and people who would donate their comps...? I'm not sure about the general usage, but if you want your friends to try this is not a bad way, since I've tried with some success.

Beans

Re: Idea - popularization of Linux/Ubuntu

I don't think such things are needed. Linux has a relatively small share of desktop users, but it has a very large share in servers (and almost a monopoly on super computers).

I use it, and it works. That is enough for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I don't think such things are needed. Linux has a relatively small share of desktop users, but it has a very large share in servers (and almost a monopoly on super computers).

I use it, and it works. That is enough for me.
    Well I would like that more Desktop users use it. It is good for Linux, the more users, the more drivers, software, support and so on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ene_dene View Post
    Well I would like that more Desktop users use it. It is good for Linux, the more users, the more drivers, software, support and so on.
    My hardware is already supported 100%

It would be good, but it isn't something we should push, just make available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My hardware is already supported 100%

It would be good, but it isn't something we should push, just make available.
    OK, there are different views on that subject.
    But lot distributions, including Ubuntu are trying to win more users from Microsoft. I would like to hear some suggestions how to do that, regardless of our personal opinion does Linux need more users or not.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ene_dene View Post
    But lot distributions, including Ubuntu are trying to win more users from Microsoft.
    The best way is to make a quality product. Focusing on getting more users, like Microsoft, leads to disaster.

Beans
    Hidden!

Most people who have been using Linux for a while have realized that it's not worth their time to try and convince people to switch to Linux, and that it really doesn't matter if they don't use it.

The same is for me. My close friends have seen my computer, and what Linux is like, but they want to stay with Windows for different reasons like they don't want to learn a new OS, or like my friend who plays a lot of games and needs software like photoshop for college (and he uses a laptop he got from his college). Regardless of whether they could dual boot, or use Wubi or a VM, I don't care if they don't want to use it.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans

An ideal level of marketshare would be 8-10%. Small enough that we get a sense of exclusivity and community, but large enough that manufacturers and software-makers take notice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza558 View Post
    An ideal level of marketshare would be 8-10%. Small enough that we get a sense of exclusivity and community, but large enough that manufacturers and software-makers take notice.
    Like OS X (8% I think)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

The best way is to make a quality product. Focusing on getting more users, like Microsoft, leads to disaster.
    That's some quote. Though I have to say the OP's idea is not to force Linux on people but just to showcase Linux.

@OP: The idea is good i.e. to showcase Linux but difficult to implement. It will let new users just know what Linux is and what it can do and then leave the rest.
    IMO Far too many people do not even know what Linux is. They don't know know there is any other OS except Windows.
    So awareness is the key.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast