Thread: need help with a presentation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

need help with a presentation

hi all i am doing a presentation for my school on linux and how to use it. so far i have decided to show server stuff like apache, mysql,etc basically anything a windows server can do. i am also going to show the alternative apps to use for linux instead of the ones u use in windows. i was also going to show the basic commands to use like apt-get. i have have gotten a few different desktops installed to show the difference in the different desktops too. if you could help me on what programs to show and commands that would be very helpful to people that are new to linux that would be great and anything else you can think of that would be worth showing. thanks in advance.
    server : running as a full server, router with php adn ruby on rails. runing debian

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: need help with a presentation

I would configure all the fancy desktop effects in compiz-fusion in GNOME, then show how good Ubuntu can look on any computer. In case you're wondering, I'm running compiz-fusion will all the bells and whistles on less than 512MB RAM, and it runs just as fast as Xubuntu did.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok ill set that up is it in 7.04 or only 7.10 and after cant remember because i use the server version mainly. thanks for the reply
    server : running as a full server, router with php adn ruby on rails. runing debian

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not sure if it is on 7.04, but it is not on 7.10 by default. You have to install one or two packages via Synaptic. Just search for compiz. I would find the names, but I've somehow broken my Xauthorization file and can't do anything requiring root. I'll check for you later.

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

ok i might not be able to do it if it isnt in 7.04 ill check it out latter after i am done setting up the mail server part of the demo

Beans
    Hidden!

The packages are compizconfig-settings-manager and libgnome-compiz-manager0. I have no idea if it's in 7.04, but it's worth a try if it is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by crazyone View Post
    if you could help me on what programs to show and commands that would be very helpful to people that are new to linux that would be great and anything else you can think of that would be worth showing.
    You have to show the big 3 desktop apps - GIMP, Firefox and OpenOffice. Also have you considered touching on the fact that Linux drives many devices like Routers (Linksys WRT54L); NAS devices; Nokia Internet Tablets; OLPC etc. See http://www.linuxdevices.com/ for more info.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it snapped off.
    Ubuntu user number # 12234

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Daveski View Post
    You have to show the big 3 desktop apps - GIMP, Firefox and OpenOffice. Also have you considered touching on the fact that Linux drives many devices like Routers (Linksys WRT54L); NAS devices; Nokia Internet Tablets; OLPC etc. See http://www.linuxdevices.com/ for more info.
    never thought of telling that about what devices run on it. thanks for the idea