Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Can you let me know which version of pSX you are using (when installing, look for 1.1X-X.X)? Also, the output of the following command:
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/local/games/psx/
    In general, the Glib errors happen on both AMD64 and i386, I have yet to determine what causes that to happen, although it shouldn't be the cause of a segmentation fault.

Beans

yes sorry should have said, its the latest 1.12-1.0

total 2272
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-23 19:36 bios
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-23 19:36 cdimages
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-23 19:36 memcards
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2277145 2007-07-23 19:36 pSX
    -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 2958 2007-07-23 19:36 psx.ini
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16544 2007-07-23 19:36 readme.txt
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-23 19:36 saves
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-07-23 19:36 screenshots
    jeek@ubuntu1:~$

I see the files need root access, however I tried grabbing the emulator from its website aswell and unpacked to /home, with exact same result.
    The glib errors come first, then the bios file requester, and then seg fault after selecting bios.
    cpu is amd64x2 4600, nvidia 8600, usb sound (alsa).

Beans

the files actually don't need root access, although they are owned by root they should be readable (and in some cases writable) by all. just to make sure, try doing the following:
    Code:
    cd /usr/local/games/psx/
    sudo rm psx.ini
    sudo touch psx.ini
    sudo chmod a+w psx.ini
    ./pSX
    If that doesn't work, you can try the full uninstall/reinstall listed in the F.A.Q.'s at the beginning of this post, in the meantime I will get a feisty 7.04 32-bit Live CD out and try to duplicate your errors (I'm running nvidia as well, and if UT2k4 works for ya I doubt it is a video card issue).

EDIT: I just booted to my feisty 7.04 i386 live cd, and after performing a few tasks (installed nvidia drivers via restricted drivers manager, restarted the X server, added the dfreer main repository) I did a sudo apt-get install psx. Other than one complaint about not being able to find libgtkglext1 (which is in the official repos, not sure why it doesn't grab it from there. I added a local copy to my repository to fix this), it installed without a hitch, and proceeded to run perfectly. Perhaps you have a corrupted BIOS file? That might explain why it seg faults immediately after asking for the BIOS file location. It could be a permission error on your BIOS file also, so make sure to do an ls -l on it.
    finally, like i said try the full uninstall/reinstall of pSX.

FURTHER EDIT: I did happen to get this error:
    pSX: pcm_params.c:2276: snd_pcm_hw_refine: Assertion `pcm && params' failed.
    Aborted (core dumped)
    It seems if the sound is misconfigured (for some reason, the second user has broken sound on the live CD), psx will abort (but not segfault, so I don't think these two problems are related.
    Also, having looked at the ls -l info you provided, I realize that once again permissions aren't set right, (those folders really should be 777 drwxrwxrwx). I have fixed this in the new package, this only effects the i386 package btw. I don't think this was part of your problem but you never know...
    Last edited by dfreer; July 24th, 2007 at 08:30 AM.

Beans

Ultima, being awesome, has released new versions of the pSXFrontend for linux, including *gasp* 32/64 bit versions. Be on the lookout....

Beans

Hooray, the -f switch now works for linux!

I have a tip for anyone having difficulties with fullscreen mode: Fullscreen mode does not seem to play well with certain window managers; so far evilwm and fluxbox have both given the same squashed fullscreen mode that doesn't cover the screen properly. Kwin works perfectly, and I assume metacity does as well as nobody has yet mentioned a problem here.

Now I just have to figure out why pSX has scratchy sound on my onboard sound but not my soundblaster, just like zsnes used to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by misterflibble View Post
    I have a tip for anyone having difficulties with fullscreen mode: Fullscreen mode does not seem to play well with certain window managers; so far evilwm and fluxbox have both given the same squashed fullscreen mode that doesn't cover the screen properly. Kwin works perfectly, and I assume metacity does as well as nobody has yet mentioned a problem here.
    Hmmm, since I don't use anything other than metacity, kwin, and emerald I haven't experienced those issues myself. it's not an aspect ratio problem, is it?

Now I just have to figure out why pSX has scratchy sound on my onboard sound but not my soundblaster, just like zsnes used to.
    Try fiddling with your latency settings and change the frequency values around, if not we might have to do a little investigating into what sound system pSX uses (OSS, ALSA, etc), and what we can do to fix it

Beans

I don't believe it's an aspect ratio problem. Only part of the screen ends up painted, with a strip on the right where you can see the desktop and other programs still. Within the painted part it's both squashed and off the screen. This was at a pretty high 16:9 resolution (1920x1080), but I tried other standard 4:3 resolutions, and they had the same problem.

The sound is probably related to the fact that I have the lousy HDA onboard sound, as I've found other reports of it being scratchy with SDL and other things. The latency settings don't change anything, and curiously, it gets scratchier when in fullscreen, than when in a tiny window, even though its not even close to maxing out my CPU. I might just stick my soundblaster back in there to see how that works.

Beans

I don't believe it's an aspect ratio problem. Only part of the screen ends up painted, with a strip on the right where you can see the desktop and other programs still. Within the painted part it's both squashed and off the screen. This was at a pretty high 16:9 resolution (1920x1080), but I tried other standard 4:3 resolutions, and they had the same problem.
    This sounds like a problem with the emulator itself, it would be beneficial if you could post your issues on the psxforums (link is here: http://psxemulator.proboards54.com/ ), I know they have been issues with fullscreen modes in the past.

The sound is probably related to the fact that I have the lousy HDA onboard sound, as I've found other reports of it being scratchy with SDL and other things. The latency settings don't change anything, and curiously, it gets scratchier when in fullscreen, than when in a tiny window, even though its not even close to maxing out my CPU. I might just stick my soundblaster back in there to see how that works.
    This blog by one of the developer's of ZSNES may help explain why your soundblaster card works better with OSS/SDL than the onboard, it's a good read in any case:
    http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/200...-in-linux.html

EDIT: Do you have the low resolutions specified in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for all bpp levels (specifically 640x480)? I do not believe this is part of the problem you are having (since you say it only occurs with certain WM's), but you might want to check it out.
    Last edited by dfreer; July 28th, 2007 at 12:55 AM.

Beans

I'll post my findings on the fullscreen problem to the list. I did do some fiddling with the resolutions in my Xorg.conf, which included paring down all the resolutions available to X to just 1920x1080, and defining that for 16bpp as well as 24. I had also tried the other resolutions that had been defined, and they showed exactly the same problems, just smaller, with the alternate window managers. One thing I forgot to mention is that this is using Component Out of the Nvidia card to an HDTV, although I doubt the program would see anything except that I have a rather large monitor.

That was a very informative blog post, Dfree, thanks! I knew that the inclusion of libao was why zsnes finally worked with my onboard sound properly, but prior to your packages I was annoyed that that was the ONE part of zsnes that prevented its proper compilation and running in my AMD64 environment. Ironically, I've always had the opposite view that ALSA is better than OSS because programs using OSS wouldn't cooperate with the sound mixing, while ALSA ones would. I hadn't thought to try the new (improved?) OSS drivers that were released recently. It's certainly worth a shot!

Beans

I successfully compiled and installed the OSS drivers (GPL btw, even though some of the download pages still claim you would need a license number), only to realize that pSX is ALSA-based, and the ALSA emulation layer is 64-bit, not the 32-bit that pSX is linked against...curse my 32 extra bits!

Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast