Thread: Can VNC support MS RDP clients?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can VNC support MS RDP clients?

I have a (maybe) odd setup where I need a solution - I have a lab that is setup inside a private company network. for various reasons, we are using a Linux NAT firewall to enclose a section of the lab so that we can have a larger network without using company provided IP addresses, and contain the DHCP and DNS services needed for some applications.

We set the RED interface of the firewall on a company provided IP address, set up a Windows VM on the same network, and configured OpenVPN on the Windows VM to allow a route into the private network.
    This works, but is generally annoying as we have obvious stability issues with Windows 2003/2008 server in this capacity.

Is it possible to set up VNC on a linux desktop so that the clients that have only MS RDP clients can access it without having to install a VNC client?

Beans

Re: Can VNC support MS RDP clients?

Try rdesktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Try rdesktop.
    Maybe I'm missing something - it looks like rdesktop is a client that can attach to MS terminal services and give you access to a Windows desktop from a linux client. I need it the other way round.

I need to set up a linux server that will provide a desktop-in-a-window on a Windows client.

Or have I completely misunderstood rdesktop?

xrdp seems to be the solution - installed and started up as part of the installation and I can connect from an XP desktop using default RDP client settings.
    Exactly what I was looking for.
    Last edited by MakOwner; October 18th, 2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Solution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MakOwner View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something - it looks like rdesktop is a client that can attach to MS terminal services and give you access to a Windows desktop from a linux client. I need it the other way round.

I need to set up a linux server that will provide a desktop-in-a-window on a Windows client.

Or have I completely misunderstood rdesktop?

If you want to connect some windows clients to a linux server with graphical environment you need something like NX Application Server.