Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, debian based systems can't detect Windows Vista

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, debian based systems can't detect Windows Vista

It also is only showing one Slackware and not the other Ubuntu?

Found Slackware Linux (Slackware 13.37.0) on /dev/sda2
    Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sdc1
    Found Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (12.04) on /dev/sdd1
    Found Slackware Linux (Slackware 14.0) on /dev/sdg1

Repost BootInfo report. Did you edit any of the grub scripts.

It may be easier to totally uninstall grub in the version you are booting from and totally reinstall grub.

# HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the live-CD/DVD/USB - drs305
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

# purge old and reinstall new to sda
    sudo apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common
    sudo mv /boot/grub /boot/grub_backup
    sudo mkdir /boot/grub
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc grub-common
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub
    Last edited by oldfred; June 22nd, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    It also is only showing one Slackware and not the other Ubuntu?
    Yes, that is correct, only one Slackware (13.37, there is no Slackware 14, and one Ubuntu)

Found Slackware Linux (Slackware 13.37.0) on /dev/sda2
    Found Windows Vista (loader) on /dev/sdc1
    Found Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (12.04) on /dev/sdd1
    Found Slackware Linux (Slackware 14.0) on /dev/sdg1
    Yes, that is correct. Update-grub finds these systems, but grub doesen't see them after reboot on purple screen.

Repost BootInfo report. Did you edit any of the grub scripts.
    Ok, will do and post it.

No, i havent edited anything yet.

It may be easier to totally uninstall grub in the version you are booting from and totally reinstall grub.
    Tried this several times. Doesen't work.

# HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the live-CD/DVD/USB - drs305
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

# purge old and reinstall new to sda
    sudo apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common
    sudo mv /boot/grub /boot/grub_backup
    sudo mkdir /boot/grub
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc grub-common
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub
    I tried this several times. I will say that i also did the same thing on second Ubuntu (in fact, "second Ubuntu" is Kubuntu but grub doesen't see the diferences, for him it is the same linux system), in fact, on Kubuntu. Result is the same. I purged grub, installed it again, updated it and after reboot, blue grub from Kubuntu ("second Ubuntu") see...again only one Slackware (13.37), and "Previous linux" and nothing more exept itself and itself with recovery mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@firekage: can I ask a somewhat insolent question?

What do you need windows vista for, anyway? or anything win at all? I have both a linux and a win OS, I am in no way an expert or computer wizard, still I manage to do everything I want & need on my linux OS. I still have win somewhere in the limbo of my PC, but never looked back since a linux OS was installed (not by me) on my computer almost 15 yrs ago.

Just askin'.

-BM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If grub menu is not showing second install are you just choosing Kubuntu from login screen and not the grub menu boot of the other install?

Post this:
    List entries in grub
    cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep menuentry
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

If grub menu is not showing second install are you just choosing Kubuntu from login screen and not the grub menu boot of the other install?
    Sorry, my english right now doesen't allow me to fully understand this question. If i understand correctly, then i say this: i choose Kubuntu by hitting F8, selecting hard drive that Kubuntu is installed on, after few seconds blue grub shows up and i don't see anything other that i posted earlier: missing Vista, Ubuntu and Slackware 14. The same thing goes with Ubuntu: missing Kubuntu, Vista and Slackware 14 when i hit F8 and select hard drive that Ubuntu is installed on, with purple grub.

Post this:
    List entries in grub
    cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep menuentry
    Here it is:

Code:
    cat firekage@deusex:~$ cat /boot/grub/gr
    grldr.img  grub.cfg   grubenv    
    firekage@deusex:~$ cat /boot/grub/grub.cfg | grep menuentry
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-24-generic-pae' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-24-generic-pae (tryb ratunkowy)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-24-virtual' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-24-virtual (tryb ratunkowy)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-24-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-24-generic (tryb ratunkowy)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Slackware_13.37 (on /dev/sda2)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Windows Vista (loader) (on /dev/sdc1)" --class windows --class os {
    menuentry "Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-39-generic-pae (on /dev/sdd1)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-39-generic-pae (tryb ratunkowy) (on /dev/sdd1)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-37-generic-pae (on /dev/sdd1)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Ubuntu, za pomocą systemu Linux 3.2.0-37-generic-pae (tryb ratunkowy) (on /dev/sdd1)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    menuentry "Slackware_14 (on /dev/sdg1)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    firekage@deusex:~$
    and here is repair-boot summary:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5790898/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Beautymist View Post
    @firekage: can I ask a somewhat insolent question?

What do you need windows vista for, anyway? or anything win at all? I have both a linux and a win OS, I am in no way an expert or computer wizard, still I manage to do everything I want & need on my linux OS. I still have win somewhere in the limbo of my PC, but never looked back since a linux OS was installed (not by me) on my computer almost 15 yrs ago.

Just askin'.

-BM
    Sure, of course

Sometimes i would like to play on it. Linux doesen't allow me to playing games that i would like to play. As a matter of fact, this is the only reason why i still have it because linux gives me everything that i would like to have from system exept playing games - wine and play on linux is not always good approach and with it i'm not able to play in everything that i would like to or with games that i really like, nothing more.

In fact, i don't have much time to spend on playing but i want my systems work the way i want...not the way they want. It worked, now it doesen't, don't know why.
    Last edited by firekage; June 22nd, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Slackware as copied by grub2's os-prober has a typo. So all your entires after the typo will not show.
    It is unmatched quotes on last resume line. And both Slackware boot stanzas have the missing quote.

Code:
     menuentry "Slackware_13.37 (on /dev/sda2)" --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {

insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 0a2ebb07-8b93-4938-9bee-7eca19168eee
    linux /boot/vmlinuz root=UUID ro  vt.default_utf8=0 vga = normal append = "resume=UUID=9a4b8b62-9163-4d61-b9af-4d4c75e29fee

}
    The lilo (line 398 in BootInfo) has both quotes, so it is a bug in os-prober. You really should file that as a bug report.

In the mean time you have several alternatives. I would just copy all of the os-prober output into 40_custom and correct it there and turn os-prober off. You may have to manually update on changes to your other systems later, but then every update of kernel or grub will not overwrite a direct edit to grub.cfg. Or you can edit the file we are not supposed to edit - grub.cfg.

Copy the entries from this:
    sudo cp -a /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.backup
    gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Copy them to and edit only titles:
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    Then do:
    sudo update-grub

Either of these will turn os-prober off.
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub:
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
    or
    sudo chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    sudo update-grub

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You do have to create a login to launchpad.

bug reports info on how to do:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu
    http://www.ubuntu.com/community/report-problem

I did not find a lilo or quotes missing bug for os-prober.
    Grub bugs:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2

Beans

Slackware as copied by grub2's os-prober has a typo. So all your entires after the typo will not show.
    It is unmatched quotes on last resume line. And both Slackware boot stanzas have the missing quote.
    Yes, somebody, if i remember correctly, on LinuxQuestions, wrote the same thing. Funny thing is that clean install of Ubuntu sees them all, and after something, maybe update, it doesen't - my laptop sees Vosta and Slackware 14!

Code:

insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos2)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 0a2ebb07-8b93-4938-9bee-7eca19168eee
    linux /boot/vmlinuz root=UUID ro  vt.default_utf8=0 vga = normal append = "resume=UUID=9a4b8b62-9163-4d61-b9af-4d4c75e29fee

}
    The lilo (line 398 in BootInfo) has both quotes, so it is a bug in os-prober. You really should file that as a bug report.
    Will try it later. But what is wrong with Vista? Why it doesen't show either?

In the mean time you have several alternatives. I would just copy all of the os-prober output
    Could you write more? What is the output of this, or where, and how should i check it?

into 40_custom and correct it there and turn os-prober off. You may have to manually update on changes to your other systems later, but then every update of kernel or grub will not overwrite a direct edit to grub.cfg. Or you can edit the file we are not supposed to edit - grub.cfg.
    I have only to copy something here or make new 40_custom ?
    Copy the entries from this:
    sudo cp -a /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.backup
    gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Copy them to and edit only titles:
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    Then do:
    sudo update-grub

Either of these will turn os-prober off.
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub:
    GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
    or
    sudo chmod a-x /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
    sudo update-grub
    You wrote: correct only titles. What do you mean? What titles?
    Last edited by firekage; June 22nd, 2013 at 11:55 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234