Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

I tried F10 a week ago. It was okay I guess. But packagekit/yum was very slow and buggy. Also I couldn't make subpixel font smoothing work which is a trivial task in every gnome distro I tried since 2001.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cb951303 View Post
    I tried F10 a week ago. It was okay I guess. But packagekit/yum was very slow and buggy. Also I couldn't make subpixel font smoothing work which is a trivial task in every gnome distro I tried since 2001.

I've found Ubuntu's/Mint's font smoothing to be unmatched. Best I've seen yet.

Beans

Fonts in Ubuntu are awesome. Fedora, not quite as good, even with subpixel smoothing.
    Glenn
    Powered by Fedora 15, Scientific Linux 6, CentOS 5.6

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhacker View Post
    Fedora haves very small and ugly drivers,it doesn`t support most video hardware,Ubuntu has most video drivers.
    No, it doesn't come with the drivers installed. Once you install the RPMFusion repo, they're trivial to add. Want it even easier? Go to http://dnmouse.org/autoten.html and install the autoten script to do it all for you.

Fedora uses rpm`s wich are ugly,Ubuntu has strong deb`s.
    That's your opinion. I much prefer yum/rpm to apt/deb. To each their own, I guess. Statements without backup don't sound too convincing, though.

fedora has ugly gui,Ubuntu has shiny orange
    Funny, I've heard much more criticism of Ubuntu's orange and brown theme than Fedora's theme. Again, a judgement call.

Fedora has huge and out-of-date updates,Ubuntu has small fixes in very small times.This makes it strong.
    Completely untrue. As stated before, have you even used Fedora?!

Ubuntu has a lot of appsin installation,Fedora has just gnome-based apps like OpenSolaris.
    Again, have you used Fedora? You can get apps for any desktop manager, from Fluxbox to KDE and more. Do some research before posting ignorant stuff like that.

All said, Fedora and Ubuntu are pretty comparable in my opinion.

Beans

Fedora just haves X.org,Ubuntu has xvesa and xorg.
    Fedora haves very small and ugly drivers,it doesn`t support most video hardware,Ubuntu has most video drivers.
    Fedora has huge and out-of-date updates,Ubuntu has small fixes in very small times.This makes it strong.
    Ubuntu has a lot of appsin installation,Fedora has just gnome-based apps like OpenSolaris.
    Something tells me that you have NEVER used Fedora and are just posting to see your own words in print.
    Good luck with that....

Beans

Come on now guys. Give the poor kid a break. Time moves on and experience will eventually overtake opinion. We hope.

And as for you, Glenn ... I'm tellin' Bob on you! <....>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Fedora just haves X.org,Ubuntu has xvesa and xorg.
    Please tell me that you are joking.
    I'm just going to end it here, I don't want to flame.

Back to the original topic, Fedora 10 is really, really nice. Actually it does feel faster than 8.10, for me of course.
    I really do like the theme, though. I don't mind the .RPM package system, I got used to it. Oh and of course, who can forget Plymouth?

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by djhyland View Post
    That's your opinion. I much prefer yum/rpm to apt/deb. To each their own, I guess. Statements without backup don't sound too convincing, though.
    I've used Redhat 3.x, 4.x, 5.x and 6.x years ago, I remember the rpm-hell very well Things have improved a lot with yum, but I find apt-get much more flexible and nicer to use (Why does yum have to update information each time before I want to again install something ? Just plain annoying.). I prefer apt-get/dpkg so much more over rpm/yum.

And concerning the repositories, as a new Fedora or CentOS user you still have to do some reading to find extra repositories for certain simple applications (Referring to Dag and other repositories).
    With Ubuntu a lot is already included with universe and multiverse.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Fedora has huge and out-of-date updates,Ubuntu has small fixes in very small times.
    My impression is that Fedora (release) is from time to time more cutting edge than Ubuntu (release), take for example the ext4 support in the latest Fedora release.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine128 View Post
    And as for you, Glenn ... I'm tellin' Bob on you! <....>
    Oh no! I could be fired! Then I wouldn't be able to ban any more spammers. I so enjoy that
    Glenn