View Poll Results: How old is your main home PC?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year or newer

49 26.49%
  • 2 years

24 12.97%
  • 3 years

17 9.19%
  • 4 years

31 16.76%
  • 5 years

25 13.51%
  • 6 years

18 9.73%
  • 7 years

6 3.24%
  • 8 years

8 4.32%
  • 9 years

1 0.54%
  • 10 years or older

6 3.24%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: How old is your main home PC in 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How old is your main home PC in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Hi all. Long time no see.
    Hey!

Hope you are doing well!

On a complete sidenote, I checked my server and it is only about 9 months old (build it in time for 12.04), but usually it's just sitting there storing files.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Hi all. Long time no see.

Gateway Solo 2150.

BIOS date is from 2000 but I think these were sold earlier than that. So ... +/- 12 years?
    Glad to see you're still rocking the classic hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Dell T5400, the most powerful PC in my house. Dual Quad core Xeons, RAID0, SSD, GTX470. Works great. Power hungry.

Beans
    Hidden!

2-3 years (not all my components are the same, so technically, I can't vote, since the CD-ROM is the oldest piece of hardware in there, running in at 2.54 years or so.)

The motherboard I just bought mid last year, and the GPU I bought in December of 2012. The CPU is nearing the 2 year mark as well. The RAM used to be only 8 GB, and that was from... before I got the new motherboard I think? Then I got 8 more GB after, right before I got the new GPU.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans
    Hidden!

About 2 probably coming up to 3.

The 3.6GHZ quad core AMD phenom x2 965BE still runs smooth and fairly quiet once the naff stock cooler was thrown away.

It has survived being knocked off my desk by a drunk house m8 while on which required a new case and then being dropped in the rain by my mother (docs told me I could not lift much) it still works after some time in the dry.

I keep threatening to put in a landfill due to size, but as my small devices pass through quickly old parts box keeps doing what I need it to do with a constant overclock on GPU due to it being a non-fan non-gaming card. Overclock to 3.8GHZ is 2 second job, but there is no noticeable gain except much hotter and more power use.

Future upgrades may be:

Blu ray or HD DVD drive
    Better graphics card
    SSD
    More RAM
    Throwing the whole thing in the bin.

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: How old is your main home PC in 2013

My main pc is an Acer Aspire Revo which I purchased last November, although I also use my old Compaq M2000 laptop just as much which was I received 2nd hand in 2002 and still works well to this day running Bodhi Linux (1.4ghz, 1gb mem, 40gb HD, Intel GFX)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My current computer is an i7 with 12g ram and a 2 tb hd. It was built in november of 2011. The ones sitting around ( not sure why I keep them) range from a 1978 (?) TRS-80 ( the hd is a cassete tape), a 1995 laptop that is so underpowered that you can not run anything except old dos and several desktops from over the years.
    Dell XPS 8300, Intel core I7-2600, 12 GB ram, 2 TB HDD, AMD Radeon 6770, Soundblaster X-fi Xtreme, Dell 24" monitor, Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10-testing

Beans

My computer, in its current form, is roughtly 4 years old, using 5 year old technology. Though I am planning to build an Ivy Bridge system sometime in the early spring.
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans

Interesting.
    The dip that I observed for "2 years old" last year seems to have moved to "3 years old" this year. This is what I was hoping for, as it shows some amount of consistency.

However, it looks like the magnitude of the dip is much more exaggerated this year. Not sure why. Maybe people weren't happy with their 2010 PC's for some reason.

Furthermore, the percentage of 1 year old PC's has gone up alot. This, at least for Ubuntu Forum users, must have been a good year for PC sales. The average age of PC's has decreased as a result, to about 3.6 years.

But no votes for 9 years? That's odd. Nobody kept using their 2004 PC?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How old is your "main home PC" in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinnerd View Post
    But no votes for 9 years? That's odd. Nobody kept using their 2004 PC?
    I have one at least that old; however, it is not my "main home PC". I have 5 home PCs. The newest one, that is less than a year old, is my "main home PC".

You changed '9 years or older' to '9 years'; then; added '10 years or older'. That could have influenced the results you are getting.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; January 11th, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast