Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 32 bit vs 64 bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

12.04 32 bit vs 64 bit.

I'm using 12.04 on a desktop PC and I wonder if there is a difference between the 32 and 64 versions, or is it a matter of what type of file system already has?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

TIA.
    Lewis.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 12.04 32 bit vs 64 bit.

The only real difference in 64 bit over 32 is that of the processor. if you have a 64 bit processor use 64 bit install
    if not go with 32. some 64 bit programs may run a little faster than there 32 bit counterparts. but that is very subjective.

it really does not have much to do with the file system in use.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There's also a difference in RAM. 64 bit can handle more RAM, so you need it to use more than about 3GB efficiently, but at the same time any task in 64 bit will use more memory than the same task in 32 bit. So, if you have a 64 bit processor and less than 1GB of RAM it may be not such a bad idea to use 32 bit anyway. It would be a case of a CPU that's overpowered compared to the amound of RAM, in other words, a badly designed machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is a pretty straight forward explanation

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Definitely 64 bits if your machine supports it. It is faster and smoother and you can access all the ram.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are a few legacy 32-bit applications that won't run.

But they are few and far between as multiarch improves and old apps get 64-bit versions.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    There are a few legacy 32-bit applications that won't run.

Haven't come across any of those, seems to be mainly a Windows problem (that applications run only in 32 bits)

Edited: so yeah maybe for some WINE stuffs,.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    There's also a difference in RAM. 64 bit can handle more RAM, so you need it to use more than about 3GB efficiently, but at the same time any task in 64 bit will use more memory than the same task in 32 bit. So, if you have a 64 bit processor and less than 1GB of RAM it may be not such a bad idea to use 32 bit anyway. It would be a case of a CPU that's overpowered compared to the amound of RAM, in other words, a badly designed machine.
    That's not always the case if a 32 bit machine is PAE capable it can address more thatn 3 GB Ram.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kc1di View Post
    That's not always the case if a 32 bit machine is PAE capable it can address more thatn 3 GB Ram.
    A 32-bit CPU can address 4 GiB of RAM, but that includes little pieces of memory outside main RAM too (graphics card memory, SATA buffer, USB buffers, Ethernet buffers etc).

A 32-bit CPU with PAE and a PAE-compatible kernel actually becomes a 36-bit CPU running 32-bit programs.

A 64-bit CPU is a 64-bit CPU.

So technically, a 64-bit CPU can still address more RAM than a 32-bit CPU, even with PAE. However, PAE can address more RAM than a desktop computer can actually physically fit!

Another advantage to 64-bit is: As the earliest 64-bit CPU that can run Ubuntu is much more modern than the earliest 32-bit CPU that can run Ubuntu, you can be assured that your 64-bit CPU includes optimizations and security features that are not guaranteed to be present on a 32-bit CPU. Therefore, the 64-bit Ubuntu kernel can safely be built to use the extra optimizations and features, but the 32-bit kernel can't. In other words the 64-bit Ubuntu kernel has extra security features.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Another advantage to 64-bit is: As the earliest 64-bit CPU that can run Ubuntu is much more modern than the earliest 32-bit CPU that can run Ubuntu, you can be assured that your 64-bit CPU includes optimizations and security features that are not guaranteed to be present on a 32-bit CPU. Therefore, the 64-bit Ubuntu kernel can safely be built to use the extra optimizations and features, but the 32-bit kernel can't. In other words the 64-bit Ubuntu kernel has extra security features.
    That's actually a really good point, and not one that I'd considered before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast