Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: Build the svn MPlayer under the latest release version of Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The odds of that bug being fixed are slim to none as I *believe* Debian is dropping mplayer altogether
    Really?? What do they have to replace it if they drop mplayer? It is one of the best Linux media players.

Beans

I come out of retirement to post the grisly details here:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...bug=732159#112

Beyond sad to see this when you think what MPlayer has meant to Linux over the years.....
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Andreas Cadhalpun is working on getting FFmpeg back into Debian. When, or if, he is successful then MPlayer returning would probably be likely I'm guessing.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; July 31st, 2014 at 01:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Andreas Cadhalpun is working on getting FFmpeg back into Debian. When, or if, he is successful then MPlayer returning would probably be likely I'm guessing.
    I noticed that the latest vlc build via Debian sid now allows either libav or ffmpeg. I'd assume ffmpeg will be configured to use a suffix, like libavcodecXX-ffmpeg, ect. That way, with a little care, both sets of libs could coexist.

So if that all works out it would seem logical mplayer could be returned though not a given.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I've been talking to him on the Debian mailing list {729203@bugs.debian.org}. He, I, and several others are working on making FFmpeg & MPlayer interoperable on Ubuntu. I'm stuck on building a test bench for the project.

I don't think there needs to be a separation from Debian/Ubuntu (creating yet another flavor of linux) , but we do need a group of people willing to resolve differences and keep Debian/Ubuntu open!

Beans

Well I see FFmpeg has made it back into Debian (sid) so that may allow the return of mplayer
    (- the ffmpeg build seems to have a lot enabled but appears woefully incomplete regarding aac encoding.

Beans

I still shake my head at the mindset that would drop an application like MPlayer....

Beans

Perhaps some reason still to compile MPlayer under Ubuntu: I have made a few edits and tested an update for Trusty Tahr. The guide will need more than a little fine tuning but seems solid enough for the moment..... Latest successful compile:

Code:
    andrew@corinth:~/Desktop$ mplayer | head -n 1
    MPlayer SVN-r37293-4.8 (C) 2000-2014 MPlayer Team
    andrew@corinth:~/Desktop$
    Last edited by andrew.46; October 11th, 2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Fixed

Beans

Is this the current MPlayer build instructions you are referring to here ?

Unfortunately I found this one first, which creates a problematic MPlayer on 14.04.

If you can confirm that first MPlayer build sequence is somewhat current, Andrew,
    then I will attempt to clean up from the older version I used. And will try your version out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cetag View Post
    Is this the current MPlayer build instructions you are referring to here ?

Unfortunately I found this one first, which creates a problematic MPlayer on 14.04.

If you can confirm that first MPlayer build sequence is somewhat current, Andrew,
    then I will attempt to clean up from the older version I used. And will try your version out.
    The one at the top of this thread is what you'd want to use, the wiki is for 12.10 (should be updated or removed

Shouldn't be that hard to proceed, yasm should show as an update avail. (or just remove it, then start on the proper guide). The contents of your current ~/mplayer_build folder should be deleted 1st also

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast