Page 96 of 104 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sean View Post
    All the above seems to have been processed but when I go to the Printing software the printer is not recognised. I'm connected via usb.

Could you tell me if I'm doing anything obviously wrong or/and how I can uninstall it all and try again. I looked at your uninstall page and but I simply don't have enough of the terminology to get anywhere!
    I'm not sure I understand. The printer will not be automatically installed because Ubuntu does not recognize the Samsung driver automatically, so you will have to tell your computer it is there. You will need to go to the Settings menu, then Printers or Printing, and then create a new printer, selecting the correct driver. If you need assistance with this process, you should look for guides to installing printers under recent Ubuntu versions, because I don't know where the Unity interface puts everything.

Another option is to "sudo apt-get install samsungmfp-configurator-qt4" in the terminal, which will install Samsung's printer configuration tool and put it on some menu (where I don't know) and you can install a new printer using that.

You should not need to uninstall anything. In the event that you do, you just need to remove the packages, replacing "install" with "remove" in the apt-get commands.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    See also this bug report, which indicates that there is a possible fix for cups-filter pending and available to test for Ubuntu Precise users: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pt/+bug/668800
    I tried this but it didn't work. The printer still prints garbage.

However I've been doing some more investigation, and I've found out how to make the standard Ubuntu 12.04 CUPS install work with my SCX-4825FN:

CUPS filters a job using these processes: pdftopdf->pdftops->rastertosamsungspl. But both pdftopdf and pdftops cause rastertosamgungspl to print garbage.

We can bypass both these filters by creating a new filter and a new rule. Create the file pdftosamsungps.sh:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    INFILE=${6:--}
    MYDIR=`dirname $0`
    pdftocairo -q -level3 -origpagesizes -ps $INFILE - | $MYDIR/pstops "$1" "$2" "$3" "$4" "$5"
    And create the rule file samsung.convs:

Code:
    application/pdf application/vnd.cups-postscript 10 pdftosamsungps
    Now install these files and restart CUPS:

Code:
    sudo install -m 755 pdftosamsungps.sh /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftosamsungps
    sudo install -m 644 samsung.convs /usr/share/cups/mime/
    sudo service cups restart
    I like this fix because you don't have to rebuild CUPS or change existing files.

I'll do some more investigating of pdftopdf and pdftops, and maybe mail the cups-filters developers. But it might just be that they produce postscript just fine and there's a problem with Samsung's rastertosamsungspl.
    Last edited by b1b1; May 26th, 2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Made a bit clearer

Beans

I'm not sure I understand. The printer will not be automatically installed because Ubuntu does not recognize the Samsung driver automatically, so you will have to tell your computer it is there. You will need to go to the Settings menu, then Printers or Printing, and then create a new printer, selecting the correct driver. If you need assistance with this process, you should look for guides to installing printers under recent Ubuntu versions, because I don't know where the Unity interface puts everything.

Another option is to "sudo apt-get install samsungmfp-configurator-qt4" in the terminal, which will install Samsung's printer configuration tool and put it on some menu (where I don't know) and you can install a new printer using that.

You should not need to uninstall anything. In the event that you do, you just need to remove the packages, replacing "install" with "remove" in the apt-get commands.
    Problem solved - Thanks a huge amount for your time and knowledge.

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

New repository versions with many fixes coming soon! I spent almost the entire weekend working on this, but there is still some additional testing to be done before I can safely release the packages. In 1-2 days I am hoping to have packages that address nearly all the problems associated with Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04, as well as some other ongoing issues dating back many months. This includes package versions of all the widely-applicable fixes in this thread from the last six months or so.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by b1b1 View Post
    I like this fix because you don't have to rebuild CUPS or change existing files.
    So do I - I can easily package it up, and it's highly reversible if it proves to make things worse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

New repository versions with many fixes coming soon! I spent almost the entire weekend working on this, but there is still some additional testing to be done before I can safely release the packages. In 1-2 days I am hoping to have packages that address nearly all the problems associated with Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04, as well as some other ongoing issues dating back many months. This includes package versions of all the widely-applicable fixes in this thread from the last six months or so.
    Awesomeness!!!
    My PC
    Ubuntu user from 18.2.2008
    Oh, my studio and my band

Beans

So do I - I can easily package it up, and it's highly reversible if it proves to make things worse.
    Indeed. I was thinking that an installable solution might provide patched PPDs which require MIME type "application/vnd.samsung-postscript". Then the conversion to this new MIME type won't interfere with the existing conversion to application/vnd.cups-postscript -- useful if you have more than one printer attached.

On the other hand, you might not like to change Samsung's PPDs. Just a thought.

Beans

Random technical notes on rastertosamsungspl

I've been nosing around rastertosamsungspl trying to find out why the printer produces garbage in some cases (ie. when used with pdftopdf+pdftops from cups-filters). Here's what I found, in case someone is interested:

1. You can put "LOG_LEVEL=9" in /tmp/rastertosamsungspl.lcf and it will dump output to /tmp/rastertosamsungspl.log
    2. It calls ghostscript to produce bitmap output:
      Code:
      gs -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER -q -sOutputFile=- -sstdout=%stderr -sDEVICE=pbmraw -r600x600 -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=842 -dFIXEDMEDIA -
    3. The QPDL output can theoretically be parsed by "qpdldecode" but in practice it doesn't understand the output I'm seeing.

... but I haven't had any success with understanding the problem. Ho hum.

I will post some more if I find more time to tinker with all this.

Beans

Re: Random technical notes on rastertosamsungspl

Quote Originally Posted by b1b1 View Post
    I've been nosing around rastertosamsungspl trying to find out why the printer produces garbage in some cases (ie. when used with pdftopdf+pdftops from cups-filters).
    Or it could be a ghostscript bug, of which there are a great many recent ones associated with converting pdf to ps:
    http://bugs.ghostscript.com/buglist....uery_based_on=

For a long time, an ongoing conversion bug with gs prevented SpliX from working with my printer, so not everything is necessarily the fault of the Samsung files. (If that gs bug had not existed, it's possible this whole repository would not exist, because I would not have needed to invest the time in the Samsung driver. The bug was finally resolved last year but I haven't gone back and tried SpliX recently.)

Regarding your prior suggestion, modifying the ppds is an interesting idea but probably not worth the effort - if someone has multiple printers connected, chances are they can print to the non-Samsung printer to deal with the problematic file and don't need the fix at all. For now I am just packaging a variation on your bypass solution, but I'll see what feedback comes in.

Samsung 4521F & Xerox Workcentre PE220 on 12.04 -- Work out-of-box!

I just installed the samsungmfp-scanner driver on Ubuntu 12.04, and it works for my Xerox Workcentre PE220 (+ Samsung 4521F) out-of-box!

In particular, you DO NOT need to do the following 'tricks' which are required for the previous Ubuntu versions:
    - Blacklist the usblp module as mentioned here. (It's not blacklisted now!)
    - Add user into the lp group.

Thanks for the work!

Page 96 of 104 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast