Page 85 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

Beans

Re: Howto Install 32 bit Firefox with Flash w/sound and Java for AMD64

some fonts are good (like those in this forum) but some are quite bad
    in this screenshot i posted from a forum i read where the fonts are bad.
    in the left side there is the website as appears in firefox32,
    at the other side (right) as it renders in firefox64

the small font is hard to read, and the font uses to much vertical space

starting firefox from console gives me an error about libpangohack
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    esd: no process killed
    ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
    dont know if this is related
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firefox32.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	34175  
    Last edited by ultra2k; June 3rd, 2007 at 03:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Very good - thank you for this guide. The script worked perfectly.

It's work like this being done by people like you that keep me coming back to Ubuntu over any other distribution. Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks for updating to 2.0.0.4, Kilz!

Note (as much to myself as to others): you have to run the browser install script again or else your 64-bit Firefox will be replaced with a 32-bit one. But even if you forget, if you run the script again it'll bring back your 64-bit Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    Thanks for updating to 2.0.0.4, Kilz!

Note (as much to myself as to others): you have to run the browser install script again or else your 64-bit Firefox will be replaced with a 32-bit one. But even if you forget, if you run the script again it'll bring back your 64-bit Firefox.
    It should not replace anything. I just double checked the files and they dont replace the 64bit firefox. Is it possible you had the 64bit browser open when you started the 32bit one?

Quote Originally Posted by ultra2k View Post
    some fonts are good (like those in this forum) but some are quite bad
    in this screenshot i posted from a forum i read where the fonts are bad.
    in the left side there is the website as appears in firefox32,
    at the other side (right) as it renders in firefox64

the small font is hard to read, and the font uses to much vertical space

starting firefox from console gives me an error about libpangohack
    esd: no process killed
    dont know if this is related
    Those errors have nothing to do with yours or any problem, notice they say ignored. Its simply saying it couldnt preload a part.
    As for the font, its possible the browsers were built different and so use different fonts. I dont build Firefox32, I just package the Mozilla application in a deb file installer. Try another of the firefox variants and see if the same thing happens.
    Last edited by Kilz; June 3rd, 2007 at 04:46 PM.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    It should not replace anything. I just double checked the files and they dont replace the 64bit firefox. Is it possible you had the 64bit browser open when you started the 32bit one?
    I may have had the 32-bit browser open. Definitely not the 64-bit.

Afterward, when I typed "firefox" or "firefox32" on the command-line, I always got the 32-bit.

Running the script, then the 2.0.0.4 32-bit deb, fixed it.

So I should have been able to just use the 2.0.0.4 deb without having to re-run the script?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    As for the font, its possible the browsers were built different and so use different fonts. I dont build Firefox32, I just package the Mozilla application in a deb file installer. Try another of the firefox variants and see if the same thing happens.
    where can i get different firefox32 build?
    the default feisty firefox uses the fonts right, whats the different with this firefox32 build?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ultra2k View Post
    where can i get different firefox32 build?
    the default feisty firefox uses the fonts right, whats the different with this firefox32 build?
    All the browsers on the first page are firefox varients. Flock, swiftweasel, and iceweasel.
    Whats the difference? In the firefox browsers address bar type in about:buildconfig. Copy the page to a file. Close the browser and do the same with the 64bit firefox. You will see some options enabled or disabled differently when you compare it to the file. If pango or freetype2 are disabled it can effect font rendering. Sadly building firefox is one of the hardest builds, I have had no sucess at it.
    For the most part Firefox32 was never intended to be a perfect replacement for the 64bit version. I am not a developer, I am a user, just like you. I dont know how to do a lot of the fine tuning that would make one font look a little better. My main concern is getting plugins to work so you have access to content the 64bit version will not play.
    I will look into seeing if we can improve the fonts. But I cant guarantee anything.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Fraoch View Post
    I may have had the 32-bit browser open. Definitely not the 64-bit.

Afterward, when I typed "firefox" or "firefox32" on the command-line, I always got the 32-bit.

Running the script, then the 2.0.0.4 32-bit deb, fixed it.

So I should have been able to just use the 2.0.0.4 deb without having to re-run the script?
    yes, because all the script does is download and install the exact same deb file.

Beans
    Hidden!

After reading the 'How-to' and all the expert comments in this thread, I am now totally confused! I am trying to use Firefox as defined here, but it always installs the 64-bit version by default, for which there are few compatible plug-ins. I just recently switched over to Kubuntu, and haven't had much experience with managing packages, so a simplified procedure tailored for a 'Newbie' sure would be helpful. It appears that the procedure outlined here is primarily for the Ubuntu(Gnome) user, and trying to follow it from Kubuntu(KDE) is confusing. Can someone please simplify the process for me? Any assistance will be appreciated..

Thanks,
    Kip

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lwrver View Post
    After reading the 'How-to' and all the expert comments in this thread, I am now totally confused! I am trying to use Firefox as defined here, but it always installs the 64-bit version by default, for which there are few compatible plug-ins. I just recently switched over to Kubuntu, and haven't had much experience with managing packages, so a simplified procedure tailored for a 'Newbie' sure would be helpful. It appears that the procedure outlined here is primarily for the Ubuntu(Gnome) user, and trying to follow it from Kubuntu(KDE) is confusing. Can someone please simplify the process for me? Any assistance will be appreciated..

Thanks,
    Kip
    Sure, download auto install script, extract it, read readme file, run script as readme file tells you, answer a few yes/no questions. Close 64bit browser, start 32bit one from menu.

Page 85 of 166 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast