Thread: .htaccess and WordPress permalinks

Beans

.htaccess and WordPress permalinks

First of all I need to say that I'm not sure whether this is an Ubuntu issue or a WordPress issue, but I've got to start somewhere so am trying this forum first.

I've just created a new WordPress site (I'm even newer to WordPress than I am to Ubuntu). The site was successfully set up on the live domain (on a remote server with a web hosting company). I've copied it across to my own Ubuntu 12.04 server in order to try and continue development offline. I've copied all the files and the database, and have a script that automatically changes all the URL references in the database records. The home page of the local site loads OK in a web browser.

WordPress has been set up to use permalinks - the .htaccess file was automatically generated on the live site and the permalinks work OK, so I can only presume that the syntax is correct. The .htaccess file was copied along with everything else to the local server, but the permalinks do not work in the local environment. I've checked the file permissions for .htacess and they are set to 664.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: .htaccess and WordPress permalinks

Thread moved to Server Platforms.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by andperry View Post
    First of all I need to say that I'm not sure whether this is an Ubuntu issue or a WordPress issue, but I've got to start somewhere so am trying this forum first.

I've just created a new WordPress site (I'm even newer to WordPress than I am to Ubuntu). The site was successfully set up on the live domain (on a remote server with a web hosting company). I've copied it across to my own Ubuntu 12.04 server in order to try and continue development offline. I've copied all the files and the database, and have a script that automatically changes all the URL references in the database records. The home page of the local site loads OK in a web browser.

WordPress has been set up to use permalinks - the .htaccess file was automatically generated on the live site and the permalinks work OK, so I can only presume that the syntax is correct. The .htaccess file was copied along with everything else to the local server, but the permalinks do not work in the local environment. I've checked the file permissions for .htacess and they are set to 664.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew.
    rewrite may be disabled on your setup,

Try enabling with
    Code:
    sudo a2enmod rewrite
    Last edited by sandyd; June 20th, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have you enabled use of .htaccess files in your Apache configuration?

In the site configuration file make sure you have "AllowOverride All" set.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/En...eHtaccessFiles

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As mentioned, it must be the rewrite module. Check if the correct modules are loaded:
    Code:
    sudo apache2ctl -t -D DUMP_MODULES
    If the rewrite module is not loaded enable it.

@mcduck
    By default it is enabled
    Last edited by 2Stoned; June 22nd, 2013 at 04:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2Stoned View Post
    By default it is enabled
    You mean .htaccess? No, it's not. Look at the default configuration in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default.

Code:
           DocumentRoot /var/www
            <Directory />
                    Options FollowSymLinks
                    AllowOverride None
            </Directory>
            <Directory /var/www/>
                    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                    AllowOverride None
                    Order allow,deny
                    allow from all
            </Directory>
    The first <Directory> stanza applies to any directory other than /var/www which is governed by the second stanza. Neither of these enable .htaccess by default since they include "AllowOverride None".
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You mean .htaccess? No, it's not. Look at the default configuration in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default.
    You are right. I tought it was enabled by default

Beans

I have implemented the suggestions made in this thread. The other problem I found was that the .htaccess file was in DOS format because I had created it originally in Windows across a SAMBA share. Converted it to Unix format.

Don't know exactly which of the factors contributed, but it's all up and running now.

Many thanks everyone for your help.

Andrew.