Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting to a shared printer on a windows 7 desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Connecting to a shared printer on a windows 7 desktop

Hi everyone,

First of all, I am very new to kubuntu, I just installed it a couple of days ago after getting frustrated with unity...so bear with me.

I am trying to connect my laptop running Kubuntu 11.10 to the printer, which is connected to a desktop running Windows 7. I can print and connect to that desktop via the other computers in my house (a mac and several Windows machines) but not on my laptop. In fact, if I click on Network in Dolphin, I don't see anything.

What I've tried so far:
    Running the Printer Configuration Utility: using smb://ip_address of the desktop/Printer_name
    Also tried setting it up using the workgroup name and the deskop's name.
    -no dice for either.
    I've tried to disable firewalls on both machines, to see if I could at least get them to see each other, but still nothing.
    I've also tried to find a comprehensive guide on how to set this up, but all the websites and how-to's I've seen are either for very old versions of kubuntu or for sharing printers connected to the linux machine. What am I missing? Am I even beginning in the right place? Is there a how-to somewhere on this site that I just missed?

I'm just at a loss, so any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Connecting to a shared printer on a windows 7 desktop

<bump>

Beans

Try looking at this?
    http://www.liberiangeek.net/2010/04/...buntu-systems/

best i can come up with. Most tutorials i found are either for printing from windows on a printer connected to ubuntu, or for windows XP.
    Jus taking a stab at it...

Beans
    Distro

Well it at least starts with the Windows settings instead of in the middle somewhere. Thanks.

I think that the real issue that I'm going to have to figure out is why my laptop can't see the desktop. There's probably some tiny checkmark in some obscure Windows setting that I've overlooked.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tobey666 View Post
    Well it at least starts with the Windows settings instead of in the middle somewhere. Thanks.

I think that the real issue that I'm going to have to figure out is why my laptop can't see the desktop. There's probably some tiny checkmark in some obscure Windows setting that I've overlooked.
    yeah. lol that seems to be the issue most of the time
    Jus taking a stab at it...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Tobey666 View Post
    What I've tried so far:
    Running the Printer Configuration Utility: using smb://ip_address of the desktop/Printer_name
    Also tried setting it up using the workgroup name and the deskop's name.
    -no dice for either.
    I've tried to disable firewalls on both machines, to see if I could at least get them to see each other, but still nothing.
    I've also tried to find a comprehensive guide on how to set this up, but all the websites and how-to's I've seen are either for very old versions of kubuntu or for sharing printers connected to the linux machine. What am I missing? Am I even beginning in the right place? Is there a how-to somewhere on this site that I just missed?
    don't tell me they did it again?!

Anyway in the older version (10.10) there was a package missing when you installed SAMBA that was needed in order to be able to share via SAMBA.

here is how i solved this (myself): http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...55&postcount=3

As for printing oyu need to know the exact name the Linux sees the printer. i initially installed samba and cups, but that didnt' make it show up. so the only way was to know the exact printer address/name under which the linux sees it. i dont' know how to find this information. i used another Ubuntu mashcine. perhaps using a live Ubunut cd would give similar result?! my (silly) sulution: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...50&postcount=3
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I'll give those a shot tonight when I get home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To get the name of the printer, open the CUPS admin utility

http://localhost:631

If I remember correctly, there's a "Printers" tab. Click that and choose the printer you want (probably only one).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Also, when I was going through this to hook up my wife's XP computer, I think the setting was

ipp://ip_address:631/printers/printer_name

Don't know if the 631 port is necessary since that's the default but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by wgn View Post
    To get the name of the printer, open the CUPS admin utility

http://localhost:631

If I remember correctly, there's a "Printers" tab. Click that and choose the printer you want (probably only one).

Nothing shows up under printers. Am I supposed to be opening that on the Windows computer or my laptop?

The good news is, I did manage to get the laptop to see the other computers on the network. Turns out, none of the tutorials out there deem it worth mentioning that you have to download and install Samba. Typed in "Samba" in the Muon Software Center, installed it and now, everything can be seen by my laptop...except the printer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast