Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: driver for canon pixma mp280 printer

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: driver for canon pixma mp280 printer

Quote Originally Posted by Corvair View Post
    OK,
    Thanks to everyone. Finally figured out how to operate ScanGear.

You have to preview first and then select where you want the document to go and then hit the scan.

But , still I cannot get Simple Scan to recognise the scanner.
    Not perfect but I can use the MP280 Scanner.
    OK -- thanks for the feedback.

So, if I understand correctly, the answer lies over at https://code.launchpad.net/~michael-...runk/+packages, then launching "scangearmp" from terminal.

A couple of questions (the computer of the person I am trying to help is so slow and underpowered that any external help or insight would be greatly appreciated):

1) are both "scangearmp-common-1.80" and "cnijfilter-common-3.70" needed?

2) what will happen when quantal (or any other new version) comes out -- will scanning work no more every six months? (I am thinking of locking this person to precise for them to stop needing me helping them, although this would only be if necessary.)

Beans
    Hidden!

The biggest question might be: why are not such scanners supported out of the box? Everything seems to work so nice in companionship with HPs...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by twipley View Post
    The biggest question might be: why are not such scanners supported out of the box? Everything seems to work so nice in companionship with HPs...
    Well, that is easy (as seen by this thread): because people who have the scanners seem to prefer to use the Canon software instead of helping with "out of the box" development (which would be SANE, and gutenprint).
    Learning the mechanism requires good teachers and dedication

Beans

what will happen when quantal (or any other new version) comes out
    the 12.04 version of Ubuntu is called the LTS version;

LTS= long-term support

have a read at this wiki

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

so 12.04 will be supported till 2017; so ideally suited to stay as the installed distro

__________________________________________________ ________

..............How to run scangear.........

then launching "scangearmp" from terminal.
    ......that is right........and a "launcher" ......is very helpful to automate the process for repeated use............

.....and the thread below......

http://linuxhelp.host.org/index.php?...create-desktop

.......tells you how to do it;

I have created a launcher for scangear

I enclose a thumbnail below of what it looks like.....

........you can call it what you like......

......the command must say

scangearmp
    ......to launch the programme
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aikishugyo View Post
    SANE has support for the MP280, so if you install the latest SANE from git you should be able to scan.
    Well, that is easy (as seen by this thread): because people who have the scanners seem to prefer to use the Canon software instead of helping with "out of the box" development (which would be SANE, and gutenprint).
    Well, you are right. I had skipped that post, because a quick Google search returned incompatibilities, although I am now browsing http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html and perceiving the MP280, like you said, indeed is supported by the latest stable version.

It is a shame both precise and quantal do not provide access to v1.0.23 from their respective USCs, me being unable to do anything with downloaded-from-sites SANE packages.

Furthermore, as I understand it, Simple Scan is a frontend for the SANE backend, is not it? Therefore, would not there be a method for that backend to be included in the next versions of Ubuntu? (Perhaps I should wait to see if the scanner function gets, in an automatic manner, supported in quantal.)

Beans
    Hidden!

I do not know what that means, but:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/i386/simple-scan/
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/i386/libsane

it is written simple-scan depends on the libsane package -- which seems to point that ("i386 build of sane-backends 1.0.23-0ubuntu1 in ubuntu quantal RELEASE") mp280 is compatible out of the box with quantal.

If anyone finds out, please post here so we can stop talking and start scanning! ;)

Beans

It is a shame both precise and quantal do not provide access to v1.0.23 from their respective USCs, me being unable to do anything with downloaded-from-sites SANE packages.
    Do you mean you don't know how to compile SANE from source? I am pretty sure I gave a step-by-step instruction in this thread earlier though. It is dead simple, and does not overwrite the system SANE.

Furthermore, as I understand it, Simple Scan is a frontend for the SANE backend, is not it? Therefore, would not there be a method for that backend to be included in the next versions of Ubuntu? (Perhaps I should wait to see if the scanner function gets, in an automatic manner, supported in quantal.)
    You would have to check how each Ubuntu version handles upstream packages. For example, since 1.0.23 was released in August, it is included in Quantal since September 20th (according to the Ubuntu pacakges page for sane-backends), and there the MP280 is supported---up to 600dpi. For 1200dpi I would need someone to sniff under Windows XP.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've been involved on the Canon side with the SANE project (scanner support); [...] I am always happy to work on adding more support for new Canon scanners.

SANE should support the MP280 (it is marked in the code as untested), so if you would try it with SANE and give feedback, we could ensure built-in support on linux platforms. Scanner support is generally fairly straightforward to add.
    Do you mean you don't know how to compile SANE from source? I am pretty sure I gave a step-by-step instruction in this thread earlier though. It is dead simple, and does not overwrite the system SANE.
    This is what I am saying. I am a terrible layman. Here are the instructions, for reference. (No problem though; continue reading below to find out.)

Here the instructions to get and compile SANE from CVS. Yes, you probably need CVS SANE from git to get support for the newer scanners.

When you run sudo xsane (and accept the risk of running as root) then the console should show pixma module output, including the fact that it could not match the USB ID with any scanner model.

To get the CVS code, you need git installed. Then you can do inside a source direcftory (I usually use ~/src):

Code:
    mkdir ~/src
    cd ~/src
    git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git
    Reference: http://www.sane-project.org/cvs.html

Go to sane-backends, and try to compile:
    Code:
    cd sane-backends
    BACKENDS="pixma" ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    I don't know if you will need some dependencies first (like gcc, some parsers maybe, etc.)

SANE is installed into /usr/local, so it does not overwrite the system SANE. But you may need to always run xsane as sudo to be sure that you access the new pixma libraries.

Since 1.0.23 was released in August, it is included in Quantal since September 20th (according to the Ubuntu pacakges page for sane-backends), and there the MP280 is supported--up to 600 dpi.
    This is great news -- that means no more fiddling with anything, and that everything is compatible out of the box more and more.

Thanks for the help; it is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by twipley; October 6th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Beans

This is what I am saying. I am a terrible layman. Here are the instructions, for reference.
    Hi,
    Yes, those instructions are fine, please feel free to try them, or use Quantal.
    Knowing for myself that the scanner is really working under SANE will be a great relief (although it is already known apparently, not "untested").

What would be even more welcome on top of that, would be if you have access to WinXP and could install the Canon driver and then do some USB sniffing (instructions as neded at that time) at 1200dpi so that we can get the scanner working completely.

Cheers,
    Gernot Hassenpflug

Beans
    Hidden!

What would be even more welcome on top of that, would be if you have access to WinXP and could install the Canon driver and then do some USB sniffing (instructions as neded at that time) at 1200dpi so that we can get the scanner working completely.
    Well, I guess I could contribute to that. At least, if the person would not mind lending me their scanner for a week or two.

I am quite busy with stuff at the moment, but perhaps between the 20th and the 31th of October I will have some time to fiddle with that. I already have Windows XP x86 installed through the latest VirtualBox.

The driver I will download is: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/010000...swin101ejs.exe
    Code:
    Details - MP280 series MP Driver Ver. 1.01 (Windows 7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP/XP x64)

ID: 0100290502_EN_2

This product is a driver for Canon IJ multifunction printers.
    Source: http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/co...es/pixma_mp280

I will post back in the two following weeks to either output that I cannot do this, or that I can and want the instructions to perform some (much-needed) USB sniffing.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast