Page 40 of 69 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Beans

Re: HOWTO: migrate wubi install to partition

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Yes. This will migrates your Wubi install to the target partition you specify. (It runs from Ubuntu so it makes no difference which version of Windows you have).

You need to create the partition(s) first - at least one for Ubuntu and an optional second partition for swap (if you want to be able to hibernate).
    I created sda 5 of about 45GB & a small sda 6 of about 1.5 GB for swap as detailed in this thread.

This is in addition to sda 1, 2 & 3, where Windows 7 is installed.

When I tried to execute the command for "migration with swap file" in the Terminal, as detailed in this thread,It says sda 6 is not a swap partition. What does it mean? All the sda's are NTFS formatted.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ssreddy555 View Post
    I created sda 5 of about 45GB & a small sda 6 of about 1.5 GB for swap as detailed in this thread.

This is in addition to sda 1, 2 & 3, where Windows 7 is installed.

When I tried to execute the command for "migration with swap file" in the Terminal, as detailed in this thread,It says sda 6 is not a swap partition. What does it mean? All the sda's are NTFS formatted.
    The script requires that the swap partition is already setup (this is a bit heavy-handed, it should just require that the partition type is '82 - Linux swap')
    The target partition should be type '83 - Linux' (although the current script will migrate to a target that is an ntfs partition and this doesn't cause any problems, ideally it should enforce that the type is '83' - I'll correct this in a future script release).

So you can modify the partitions e.g. using GParted. GParted is installed by default if you boot an Ubuntu CD in live CD mode (select "Try it" without installing). Since you already have the partitions setup you can also run it from Wubi if you install it first - e.g. via software centre.

When you use GParted to set the target partition to ext4 and the swap partition to 'swap' it will automatically update the partition type.

PS any partitioning carries a small risk. Please make sure your backups are current prior to doing this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by robimo View Post
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum

I've migrated the Ubuntu installation from wubi and all works fine.
    Now, can I unnstall the ubuntu installation from windows ?
    Hi robimo, welcome to the forums!

If you installed the Grub2 bootloader when you migrated and are happy that everything is working as before, then - yes - you can uninstall Wubi from Windows.

You can tell whether you have the Grub2 bootloader if the first menu you see at bootup (after the BIOS splash) has Grub on the top.

If you are unsure - you can run and post the results of the bootinfoscript.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Hi robimo, welcome to the forums!

If you installed the Grub2 bootloader when you migrated and are happy that everything is working as before, then - yes - you can uninstall Wubi from Windows.

You can tell whether you have the Grub2 bootloader if the first menu you see at bootup (after the BIOS splash) has Grub on the top.

If you are unsure - you can run and post the results of the bootinfoscript.
    Thanks, i've uninstalled wubi and it's all ok

Now, my next goal is installing virtualbox on ubuntu and porting my xp installation under.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

OS: Ubuntu version 11.04 Final and Windows Server 2008 Standard
    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2-B3
    BIOS Type/Date/Version: Award Modular v6.00PG
    Processor : Intel Core i3-2100CPU - 3.10GHz
    Chipset: Intel H67 chipset
    Ram : Kingston 4GB
    HDD : 500Gb seagate sata

I have 2 OS:

1. Ubuntu version 11.04 Final
    2. Windows Server 2008 Standard

Ubuntu 11.04 with wubi installed.

If i do migrate over a wubi installed to create ext4 & swap partitions
    as a standalone ubuntu bootloader instead of a windows boot manager, will all my data and desktop setting on ubuntu gone when migrating?

Can i just migrate without resizing my windows partition?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

qzpac,
    You have to create the partition(s) before migrating. You can migrate without resizing your windows partition only if you already have available partitions, or you migrate to another drive.

The migrated install will be the same as your current wubi install (the same data, installed programs and settings).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm considering moving Wubi to a new partition but I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up and make my computer inoperable, the only thing that looks sketchy to me is the /dev/sda5 portion. Here's a scenario: say I split my partition in two and I have 'partition 1' and 'partition 2' and I wanted to put Wubi on partition 2, would I simply replace '/dev/sda5' with 'partiton 2' in the sudo terminal code or is there more to it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by life in color View Post
    I'm considering moving Wubi to a new partition but I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up and make my computer inoperable, the only thing that looks sketchy to me is the /dev/sda5 portion. Here's a scenario: say I split my partition in two and I have 'partition 1' and 'partition 2' and I wanted to put Wubi on partition 2, would I simply replace '/dev/sda5' with 'partiton 2' in the sudo terminal code or is there more to it?
    That's pretty much it - you just change the target partition to the one you want to migrate to.

I just picked /dev/sda5 as it's the first logical partition number - which is the most common migration scenario:
    Usually it makes sense to create an extended partition, and then one or more logical partitions. This allows more flexibility as there is a hard max of 4 primary partition in a MBR partition table.

If you only have 1 primary this may not concern you now, but in the future you might want a separate partition for /home and maybe one for /boot (it's a little easier to manipulate logical partitions than deleting and replacing primary partitions).

PS please backup prior to partitioning as there is always a small risk of data loss.

Beans
    Distro

ok I don't have anything important on the computer though so the only data I'm worried about would be anything necessary to download Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

I made a new partition labeled /dev/sda3 then went into terminal and input "sudo bash wubi-move-2.0.sh /dev/sda3" and got the error:
    "bash: wubi-move-2.0.sh: No such file or directory"
    yet I have 'wubi-move-2.0.sh' in my downloads folder.

Page 40 of 69 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast