Thread: keyring default, I don't know my password, and I don't think I ever set one

Beans

keyring default, I don't know my password, and I don't think I ever set one

so i have begun mostly settling in with 10.10 on my laptop, and most of my beginners questions have been answered, except for one. i did a few searches and i could find a solution. Every once in a while, sometimes at random and sometime wen launching applications, a window will pop up asking me for my default keyring password. I orriginally assumed that it would be the same as my login password seeing as that's the only password I set up. So the long and short of it is, i have no idea what the password is so i ant enter it to change it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: keyring default, I don't know my password, and I don't think I ever set one

did you try your login password?

Beans

yeah i tried my login password and it tells me that the password is incorrect. It's pretty weird,I mean I know i didnt choose any other passwords during setup. It really didn't bother me all that much but now tweetdeck refuses to open without it so i' worried about it affecing other applications.

Beans

ok this is easily the fifth or sixth time ubuntu has made a total fool of me in the last two days. out the default keyring password was one character different than my login password. I really don't think i set it up that way but at this point i guess anything is possible, thank you for the quick reply.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spaz33g View Post
    ok this is easily the fifth or sixth time ubuntu has made a total fool of me in the last two days. out the default keyring password was one character different than my login password. I really don't think i set it up that way but at this point i guess anything is possible, thank you for the quick reply.
    make sure you go to system-> passwords & encryption keys
    right click on passwords:default-> change password

there you can set it to what you really want or just leave blank & have no password.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    make sure you go to system-> passwords & encryption keys
    right click on passwords:default-> change password

there you can set it to what you really want or just leave blank & have no password.
    Or just open /home/uesrname, click "show hidden file" go to .gnome2 , open it and delete the folder "keyring". Clean and simple.

Beans

ya that was the first thing i did when i figured out what it was actually set to. thanks again.