Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pommed and brightness control not working

Beans

Pommed and brightness control not working

I've installed Ubuntu 10.10 on my Macbook Pro 6,2 and try as I might can't change the brightness of my screen whatsoever. I cant use "echo 100> /sys/devices/virtual/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness" because the folder does not exist. Pommed, when run using "sudo pommed -d" complains with "Failed to access brightness node: No such file or directory".

I have the mbp-nvidia-bl driver installed *only* (removed nvidia-bli because I had seen in other threads that the two conflicted). I've tried searching the forums and the web but nothing is helping me so far. Biggest roadblock for me using ubuntu is having the headache of using a much to dim screen(or currently a much too bright screen) :/

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Tim
    Last edited by khronoslynx; October 11th, 2010 at 06:58 PM.

Beans

Re: Pommed and brightness control not working

Also, I'm on 10.10 64-bit (in case that affects it)

Beans

Code:
    man fblevel

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Pommed and brightness control not working

I found that the newest mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms package broke backlight control for me, leaving me with two brightness options: 100% or off.

I'm successfully using a pommed I built myself and the mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms version 0.24 for Lucid off the Mactel PPA (with a manual hold to keep it from getting upgraded again).

Using the 0.25 version of the module (either the Lucid or Maverick one) was a no-go for me. Fortunately, after it got auto-upgraded I found a copy of the older module in my apt cache and was able to downgrade. Soon as I got rid of the 0.25 module and rebooted everything was fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've dealt with this issue for a while, but finally found a tool that simplifies it.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvclock
    To change the brightness,
    Code:
    nvclock -S 100
    This would set your brightness to 100 percent.

This works on my Macbook White Unibody Late 2009, let me know if all goes well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pantropik View Post
    I found that the newest mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms package broke backlight control for me, leaving me with two brightness options: 100% or off.

I'm successfully using a pommed I built myself and the mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms version 0.24 for Lucid off the Mactel PPA (with a manual hold to keep it from getting upgraded again).

Using the 0.25 version of the module (either the Lucid or Maverick one) was a no-go for me. Fortunately, after it got auto-upgraded I found a copy of the older module in my apt cache and was able to downgrade. Soon as I got rid of the 0.25 module and rebooted everything was fine.
    Which Pommed version are you using? Because even downgrading my mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms didnt change anything, pommed throws the same "Failed to access brightness node" shenanigan.

And nvclock doesn't support my video card yet, and warns that forcing it (using -f then -S) may be dangerous

Beans

I reinstalled pommed and got this error after installation: "Starting Apple laptops hotkeys events handler: invoke-rc.d: initscript pommed, action "start" failed."

Any idea?

Beans

I am using the 0.24 module from my other post and a pommed and customized /etc/pommed.conf from here.

Beans

I am using the 0.24 module from my other post and a pommed and customized /etc/pommed.conf from here.
    I did that, and now when running "sudo pommed -d" when I use Fn+F2 it says
    Lcd stepping +1->1"

and Fn+F2 says
    "Lcd stepping -1 -> 0"

yet my backlight doesnt change at all. I'm using both the mbp-nvidia-bl-dkms you linked and the pommed.conf. But while running pommed complains with "E:Not primary DBus name owner"

Sorry for being such a mess haha

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

actually version 0.25 of mbp-nvidia-bl changes the interface it uses. can you confirm that it definitely doesn't work, but 0.24.x did? which graphics driver are you using?

@op: pommed shouldn't be necessary just to change backlight. if the driver is loaded properly gnome-power-manager should just use it. you can verify this by echoing some value (0-15) to /sys/class/backlight/mbp_backlight/brightness.

ciao,
    Mario

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast