Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

Beans

Buying a new laptop/notebook....

or whatever these are called. BUT I am going to choose between a DELL model and a MacBook Pro 13". I need some advice as I've seen the model XPS M3000 and not sure if these are suitable for day2day use. I use MuseScore, LibreOffice as dedicated SW but all other work is done via browser (firefox, Chrome). I am giving up windows for good now. Any advice on the way to go much appreciated. I know this forum may provide biased views but please go ahead nd help if you can. Thanks.
    Thanks for your time.

Beans

Re: Buying a new laptop/notebook....

I think dell still has a couple with ubuntu pre installed. I have installed several releases on Dells and all have worked fine.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    I think dell still has a couple with ubuntu pre installed. I have installed several releases on Dells and all have worked fine.
    +1
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

Dell XPS 13 Developer's Edition (with Ubunu preinstalled): http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343...u/pd?ref=PD_OC

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by happyhacker View Post
    I know this forum may provide biased views ...
    And what has prompted that knowledge? What have any of us to gain or lose by you buying whatever hardware you want? We are here voluntarily and to help. All we're likely to tell you is what works best with Ubuntu.

Dells are generally friendly. Know nothing about Macs apart from they can be tricky to install to from what I've read. We have a separate section here for Mac users if you go that way and get into trouble. Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 12th, 2015 at 05:36 AM.

Beans

I ordered a Dell xps 13 Develper edition last month. The order kept getting delayed till they settled on a delivery date a month out, so I lost my patience. Ordered the Windows version and intend to install Ubuntu myself.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SA6 View Post
    I ordered a Dell xps 13 Develper edition last month. The order kept getting delayed till they settled on a delivery date a month out, so I lost my patience. Ordered the Windows version and intend to install Ubuntu myself.
    Hmmm, keep delaying shipping until people that want to purchase them give up waiting and order Windows versions instead then stop selling machines with Ubuntu pre-installed because "nobody buys them". [/conspiracy-theorist]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Hmmm, keep delaying shipping until people that want to purchase them give up waiting and order Windows versions instead then stop selling machines with Ubuntu pre-installed because "nobody buys them". [/conspiracy-theorist]
    There are other factors but yes, it has a lot to do with demand (or lack of). Not exactly a conspiracy, it just has the appearance of one. At the end of the day it's just 'glitches' of a profit-driven economical system (AKA Capitalism). This economical system, however, can plausibly be constructed as a huge conspiracy of a small part of humankind (1% or less) against everybody else but that way beyond the scope of this forum.
    Galiza Nação!

Beans

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 and it has been a dream for Linux. Only one or two little issues which were easily solvable. I wouldn't spend the price premium on a Mac unless I was buying into the Apple ecosystem, certainly not if I was going to put Linux on it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jason_gibson2 View Post
    I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 and it has been a dream for Linux. Only one or two little issues which were easily solvable. I wouldn't spend the price premium on a Mac unless I was buying into the Apple ecosystem, certainly not if I was going to put Linux on it.
    Agreed. 100% (actually 120%)... Unless you intend to dual boot thus ripping the benefits from both worlds in a usually very good hardware platform. However, that Apple hardware (and firmware and...) specificity can at times be way more challenging than regular PCs.
    Last edited by Vladlenin5000; July 12th, 2015 at 06:14 PM.
    Galiza Nação!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast