Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: malware popup in firefox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

malware popup in firefox

It said I was infected and although I clicked 'cancel' a webpage I had opened turned into a simulation of a virus scan of windows c: D: drives. Well, I'm not using windows so I closed the tab, and a new popup asked If I wanted to download their product. This popup occurred last week too. Is my machine diseased? How can I locate the source of the dis-ease? Then how do I remove it? Also is there a way to find out whence it came from so that I may dole out some vigilante justice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: malware popup in firefox

Sounds like Antimalware 2009 or whatever it's called. The site's a hoax. The fact that it 'scans' C:\ on a Linux machine should tip you off. Just ignore it.

Beans

I wonder, do you have wine installed?
    On a windows machine these cursed malware-sites latch onto your windows folder, i wonder if this somehow may have found your wine windows folder? You should do have a look through it maybe (i dunno, i'm new to this )

that or - are you going back to the same websites? >>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You can always turn off pop-ups within Firefox. I know that doesn't really answer your questions; but it is a suggestion as a stop-gap measure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by adamogardner View Post
    It said I was infected and although I clicked 'cancel' a webpage I had opened turned into a simulation of a virus scan of windows c: D: drives. Well, I'm not using windows so I closed the tab, and a new popup asked If I wanted to download their product. This popup occurred last week too. Is my machine diseased? How can I locate the source of the dis-ease? Then how do I remove it? Also is there a way to find out whence it came from so that I may dole out some vigilante justice?
    Your machine is fine. Just clear your private data and dont use that webpage again, it's a security hoax aimed at windows users.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Your machine is fine. Just clear your private data and dont use that webpage again, it's a security hoax aimed at windows users.
    In firefox:

cltr+shift+del clear cache and cookies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    your machine is fine. Just clear your private data and dont use that webpage again, it's a security hoax aimed at windows users.
    +1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by adamogardner View Post
    I'm not using windows so I closed the tab, and a new popup asked If I wanted to download their product. This popup occurred last week too.
    Use the "Web of trust" addon in Firefox to prevent yourself from visiting those [...] websites.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

It is probably a cookie or javascript.Just clear your cookies and ignore that

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

in windows it's a pernicious bugger. not browser resident. prolly stuck in wine; usually use the malwarebytes scanner to kill it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast