Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: constant errors file system

Beans

Re: constant errors file system

Quote Originally Posted by mrajdl View Post
    Oops the drive is 200g not 2, anyway I have a new 320g on the way that's all I need.

but what is this:
    mike@ubuntu:~$ uptime
    19:34:07 up 10:00, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.06

I'm the only user????
    There's probably multiple instances of you logged in (i.e. you in X and you in the terminal you typed "uptime" into).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
    There's probably multiple instances of you logged in (i.e. you in X and you in the terminal you typed "uptime" into).
    Exactly. There is the login user and the terminal user. You can see that using the command who
    Code:
    $who

red    tty7         2013-05-21 18:53
    red    pts/0        2013-05-21 19:00 (:0.0)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    Exactly. There is the login user and the terminal user. You can see that using the command who
    Code:
    $who

red    tty7         2013-05-21 18:53
    red    pts/0        2013-05-21 19:00 (:0.0)
    Thanks again in terminal who:

mike@ubuntu:~$ who
    mike tty7 2013-05-21 20:36 (:0)
    mike pts/1 2013-05-21 21:12 (:0)

I guess I have to visit this forum more often, I might learn something, been using ubuntu since v6.04, great OS, beets the heck of that Windows DOS crap I grew up on. Only problem I just don't know enough, but I'm learning.

Beans

My replacement hd will be here today, I downloaded the .iso 64 bit version of Ubuntu 13.04, I'm currently 32 bit.

If I use the 64 bit version to prep the new hd, will I be able to copy my home folder from the 32 to the 64 without causing problems?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My replacement hd will be here today, I downloaded the .iso 64 bit version of Ubuntu 13.04, I'm currently 32 bit.

If I use the 64 bit version to prep the new hd, will I be able to copy my home folder from the 32 to the 64 without causing problems?
    The files are not particular to either 64 or 32 bit. Where are the files stored?

More important is whether your CPU understands 64bit instructions. Are you going to put /home on its own partition on the new disk?

Beans

The files are not particular to either 64 or 32 bit. Where are the files stored?

More important is whether your CPU understands 64bit instructions. Are you going to put /home on its own partition on the new disk?
    Yes the CPU nows 64 bit was using it, but went back to 32 when I started having problems don't know why. I thing you answered my ?.

My plan is to burn a cd with the 64 bit .iso.
    reconfigure the failing HD to the 2nd
    Install the new HD.
    Use the CD to install 13.04 64 bit, and letting it use the whole drive.
    Then copy the /home files from the old HD to the new drive.

Is this possible?

Of course it all depends on the failing HD, the CDs won't be here til Monday, got my fingers crossed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes the CPU nows 64 bit was using it, but went back to 32 when I started having problems don't know why. I thing you answered my ?.

My plan is to burn a cd with the 64 bit .iso.
    reconfigure the failing HD to the 2nd
    Install the new HD.
    Use the CD to install 13.04 64 bit, and letting it use the whole drive.
    Then copy the /home files from the old HD to the new drive.

Is this possible?

Of course it all depends on the failing HD, the CDs won't be here til Monday, got my fingers crossed.
    Yes that will work.

Beans

Yes that will work.
    Thanks

Beans

Ok new plan, I forgot about Monday being a holiday so no CDs until Tuesday. I have a 4 gig HD of the 40 pin connector type, set it up as a slave and hook it up to the CD-ROM cable. The BIOS identifies it correctly, but it gets mounted read only. All I want to do is wipe it clean and use it for backup. Can this be done at the root shell?

Beans

I thought I would be done with this problem today, but the .iso is to big for the the CD-R, so I ordered 1 DVD-R, I only ordered 1 cause I never done dvds with this drive. I feel so stupid I worked for the creators of CD technology, Philips the first CD-Rs on the market were $40 a CD. I just bought a 100 for $20.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast