Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C++ on Ubuntu?

Beans

C++ on Ubuntu?

So, I'm thinking of switching to Ubuntu but one of my concerns is that I wont be able to program C++ (as I'm just starting to learn it).

I don't mean that I dont think it'll work completely, rather that specific lines of code may or may not work, because the book I have does everything under Windows.

Does the OS make a difference?

Beans

Re: C++ on Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by JayWash124 View Post
    So, I'm thinking of switching to Ubuntu but one of my concerns is that I wont be able to program C++ (as I'm just starting to learn it).

I don't mean that I dont think it'll work completely, rather that specific lines of code may or may not work, because the book I have does everything under Windows.

Does the OS make a difference?
    The OS makes all the difference in the world. In essence you will learn how to REALLY use C/C++.

Get the latest gcc / g++ compiler, learn vim, and throw that book out of the window (really keep it, it's good to know multi platform implementations).

Beans

The OS will make a difference. But it also depends on the book you are using. Some teach you to use Microsoft Visual Studio and the MS way, Some books let you use any editor/ide of your choice and keep the programming OS agnostic.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by akvino View Post
    The OS makes all the difference in the world. In essence you will learn how to REALLY use C/C++.

Get the latest gcc / g++ compiler, learn vim, and throw that book out of the window (really keep it, it's good to know multi platform implementations).
    Um well I plan on keeping the book XD as it was $50 and I JUST got it. I guess I'll learn it on windows first, then when I have an understanding of it (a few years) then I'll move on to different platforms.

Beans

What book is it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Um well I plan on keeping the book XD as it was $50 and I JUST got it. I guess I'll learn it on windows first, then when I have an understanding of it (a few years) then I'll move on to different platforms.
    It shouldn't make a difference as to whether you learn ISO C++ on Windows or Linux.

So whether you use M$ Visual C++ or GCC (GNU Compiler Collection), it should not matter.

PS. ISO = International Organization for Standardization

Beans

if your just starting out learning c++, then your probably fine. i could be wrong but usually its just high level c++ and nothing low level. the exes youve made wont import, but your code should. if youve used libraries like windows or conio, done any win32, written drivers or things like that, then the code wont work but you should be fine

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If your looking to use just one program vim, and the before mentioned programs work well. I have always used Dev-C++
    http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html and never had any trouble.
    It works in Ubuntu with the use of Wine, and Windows. It's free and works great for just learning.

Beans

Here is a good book for any platform:

http://www.amazon.com/C-Primer-Plus-.../dp/0672326973

Beans

If your reasons for learning C++ are career based, then stick with Windows for now. You're much more likely to have opportunities to work in a Windows environment than a Linux environment.

But if your reasons are not career based, keep in mind that Microsoft wants money for _everything_ you'll need, all tools, etc. In the Linux world everything you'll need is open-source and easily and freely downloadable, and well supported.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast