Page 42 of 92 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: MacBookAir4,1 & MacBookAir4,2 (MBA 2011) support

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    It works from a live USB session for me.
    post-install-oneiric.sh updated.

Beans

I'm having problems installing the final release of oneiric on my 2011 MBA 13". I tried following the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...9&postcount=36

with some modifications: namely, the nomodeset option is in a dropdown window so I just selected it and used "install ubuntu". I get a few steps through the graphical install but when i try to manually partition (creating a root and a swap partition and leaving the OS X partition untouched) and then hit "Install Now". I then get this spinning cursor and nothing happens...for a long time(and the CD is not spinning so its not installing anything). I thought it might be formatting but it can't take that long.

Need to head out so might just shut it down and try again later but was wondering if anyone might know what the problem is. In the link above I noticed it suggested loading gparted and partitioning before hitting "Install Ubuntu". I didn't see this option so just skipped that step...is that perhaps the problem?

Btw I'm installing from a CD since i have a superdrive.

thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfacto View Post
    post-install-oneiric.sh updated.
    I'm now getting an error at line 404:
    Code:
    $sudo ./post-install-oneiric.sh

...<snip>...

Comment=Load custom .Xmodmap.
    Making xmodmap run after resume (custom keys).
    ./post-install-oneiric.sh: line 404: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
    ./post-install-oneiric.sh: line 404: `fi'
    EDIT:Added more output text.
    Last edited by diafygi; October 13th, 2011 at 09:40 PM.

Beans

Hey All

Has anyone with a mba 4,1 installed the now live 11.10 and run post-install.sh script

If so please advise on what's working/not etc.

Beans

Ok, so apparently its important to use the "Try ubuntu without installing" option and run gparted _before_ running the installer. So that problem is solved...

But now i made a second mistake. I forgot to change the boot partition from the installer partition window and it installed grub on the drive /dev/sda rather than on my linux partition /dev/sda5. I went back and re-installed, selecting /dev/sda5 as the boot partition and now I think grub is installed on both the disk and the partition.

This of course meant rEFIT wouldn't touch the disk so I followed dfacto's instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=185

which let rEFIT happily sync the partitions. But it still presents me with two penguins, one for sda and one for sda5 (presumably). Trying to boot on either one gives me the gray background with a faded penguin for a while and then a blinking cursor. I tried rebooting/shutting down several times to no avail. Trying to follow the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...3&postcount=11

(which i found via some links from the mactel wiki) doesn't work because the instructinons seem to apply to an old version of grub.

So instead I just re-installed everything, including grub but I still get the blinking cursor. I've actually cycled through all of the above a few times but nothing changes. I'm guessing having an extra grub partition on sda is messing things up but I don't know how to remove it.

Strangely on the last go I noticed that refit suggested updating my MBR in a very weird way. The MBR has the EFI partition, HFS partition, the boot recovery, and my linux root with the latter *'ed -- i.e. bootable. rEFIT wants to replace the linux root with the linux swap partition (so in its new MBR the linux root doesn't appear) and wants to make the HFS partition bootable. Does this make any sense?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to proceed as I'm somewhat at wit's end?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hueythecat View Post
    Hey All

Has anyone with a mba 4,1 installed the now live 11.10 and run post-install.sh script

If so please advise on what's working/not etc.
    I installed Oneiric on my 4,2 today according to the wiki, but I am getting an error in post-install-oneiric.sh on line 404 (see my post). So far, still having to add "nomodeset" to Grub in order to get to the login screen.

Beans

Cheers.
    Really need some feedback from other 4,1 owners.
    If you look at earlier posts the 4,1 doesn't get the same results as the 4,2 does from post-install.sh

Beans

According to the wiki, the multitouch pad can be enabled using the "Mouse and Touchpad" application.

But when I launch this application I only have a "Mouse" tab, nothing about multitouch.

Is there a package to install to have the touchpad/more options?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hueythecat View Post
    My apologies if I came across as vague.

After install & resyncing the MBR my system would not make it to grub - it just went to a black screen with flashing cursor forever.

At some stage I'm guessing I installed grub to the wrong partition. And failed from that point forwards.

After doing a total rebuild from scratch I've successfully installed.

On a side note (if you manage to delete your Lion recovery partition) - The internet recovery ONLY works if your wifi is WPA/WPA2 encrypted. So if your connected via open wifi it appears like its taking forever instead of informing you of the latter.
    Hi Huey,

I think I find myself in the same position as you. How exactly did you resolve this? When you say rebuild from scratch I'm not sure what you mean. How did you wipe grub from the wrong partitions? You didn't have to wipe the whole disk did you (please tell me you didn't)?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

@hueythecat,jebus I believe there was some discussion already in this thread about reinstalls as I had to go through this process. Have looked at this?
    Last edited by dfacto; October 14th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.

Page 42 of 92 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast