Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Make folder icons use Folder.jpg (Like Windows XP My Music folder does)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Make folder icons use Folder.jpg (Like Windows XP My Music folder does)

Ill try it. Im not worried about the time. Ill let you know 1000 folders worth of CDs takes. Goes off to try.
    Last edited by MetalMusicAddict; February 10th, 2007 at 12:02 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Make folder icons use Folder.jpg (Like Windows XP My Music folder does)

I cant get it to work on the root music dir. Just for fun I ran it on a artists folder itself and it seems to choke on folders with spaces in them. Editing the .XML file to add the other folders doesnt work either.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <directory>
    <file name="Leviathan" timestamp="1171063155" custom_icon="cover.jpg"/>
    <file name="Lifesblood" timestamp="1171063155" custom_icon="cover.jpg"/>
    <file name="Remission" timestamp="1171063155" custom_icon="cover.jpg"/>
    <file name="Blood Mountain" timestamp="1171063155" custom_icon="cover.jpg"/>
    <file name="Call Of The Mastodon" timestamp="1171063155" custom_icon="cover.jpg"/>
    <file name="Live 2003 Tilburg Netherlands" timestamp="1171063155" custom_icon="cover.jpg"/>
    <file name="Live Club Quattro - Osaka, Japan" timestamp="1171063155" custom_icon="cover.jpg"/>
    </directory>
    The the code might need something added for the spaces.

Something has changed between the original script and your last. I think the original one handled the spaces. I do have a couple of folders that do have a image in them. Before the ones with spaces showed. Now they do not. If I posted the .XML for the root folder of my music it would show this as well. Nothing with a space in it.
    Last edited by MetalMusicAddict; February 10th, 2007 at 12:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think we really need an easy way to do this!
    Anyone has the same opinion? We should create a feature request for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I am not surprised that it was not incorporated into gnome already.....

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe some crap IP infringement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I thought it was in mac osx as well cover.*, oh well.... btw so I had to go through about 500+ metal albums and fix the 100 something Folders.jpg to folder.jpg, so this would work, and damn it took a long time... hahahha, I am sure I could of wrote a script but meuh...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hmmm... write a script or change 100 captial Fs by hand... it's a toss up.

I'm running Kubuntu and am new to the KDE desktop. How much work do you think I'd have to go through to adapt this method for KDE? It's a pretty nice feature, I appreciate the work you guys are putting in on it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well this is something that I'd quite like to do, but I can't stand php (sorry) and I wanted to have a go at fixing some of the shortcomings, so I've written my own version in python.

This should handle spaces in directory names (as well as other strange characters, but nautilus' quoting rules seem rather obscure, so maybe there are things I've missed here).

You can specify your own shell-type pattern (--names) for matching the image filename (the default is "[Ff]older.jpg").

There is also a switch (-R) to make it work recursively across nested directories.

Download: custom_icon.py

Code:
    $ python custom_icon.py --help
    usage: custom_icon.py [options] folder [folder2 ...]

options:
      --version        show program's version number and exit
      -h, --help       show this help message and exit
      --names=NAMES    specification to match image filenames [default:
                       "[Ff]older.jpg"]
      -R, --recursive  set icons for folders recursively

$ python custom_icon.py ~/music
    /home/user/music ...
    done.

$ nautilus -q

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Make folder icons use Folder.jpg (Like Windows XP My Music folder does)

Quote Originally Posted by fifo View Post
    Well this is something that I'd quite like to do, but I can't stand php (sorry) and I wanted to have a go at fixing some of the shortcomings, so I've written my own version in python.

This should handle spaces in directory names (as well as other strange characters, but nautilus' quoting rules seem rather obscure, so maybe there are things I've missed here).

You can specify your own shell-type pattern (--names) for matching the image filename (the default is "[Ff]older.jpg").

There is also a switch (-R) to make it work recursively across nested directories.

Download: custom_icon.py

Code:
    $ python custom_icon.py --help
    usage: custom_icon.py [options] folder [folder2 ...]

options:
      --version        show program's version number and exit
      -h, --help       show this help message and exit
      --names=NAMES    specification to match image filenames [default:
                       "[Ff]older.jpg"]
      -R, --recursive  set icons for folders recursively

$ python custom_icon.py ~/music
    /home/user/music ...
    done.

$ nautilus -q
    Works quite well, but it doesn't work for folders with an exclamation mark in them, I guess. Anyhow, I ran it on my music folder, and the folder "Weird Al Yankovic - Polka Party!" didn't get a thumb. I will take a look at your source code when I have some time (and more experience with Python).

Already thanks for this script, ignoring this minor bug it works just great

Beans

I love this idea....but I have my collection setup using in WIN XP /media/artist/album/songs.xxx with the album art in with the songs (folder.jpg style) and the thumbs are sometimes 1,2,3, up to 4 little album covers per artist. If I were to move some to Ubuntu would these scripts duplicate that or would I just get 1 thumb per album ?
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast