Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues

Quote Originally Posted by Aero-Z View Post
    Still got the same problem after disabling the firewall.
    Try adding a /etc/hosts entry on Ubuntu for your Win7 machine. Here's an example for you ...
    Code:
    127.0.0.1	localhost
    127.0.1.1	karmic-testing
    192.168.1.125   Win7-netbios-name

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    Just adapt the IP address and netbios name in this line 192.168.1.125 Win7-netbios-name to the actual settings on your Win7 box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    Try adding a /etc/hosts entry on Ubuntu for your Win7 machine. Here's an example for you ...
    Code:
    127.0.0.1	localhost
    127.0.1.1	karmic-testing
    192.168.1.125   Win7-netbios-name

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    Just adapt the IP address and netbios name in this line 192.168.1.125 Win7-netbios-name to the actual settings on your Win7 box.
    Still same
    || Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook S7110 | Genuine Intel CPU T2500 @ 2GHz | 80GB HDD | 3GB DDR2 | Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express | 2.6.31-14-generic (Karmic Koala) ||

Beans
    Distro

Still same
    I got file sharing to work on XP machine. The picture looks like this right now:
    1. Ubuntu laptop - I can see all computers - XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu itself. Tho I can only access my own shared folder.
    2. XP laptop - I can see all computers and I can access Ubuntu and XP itself. I can't access Windows 7 computer.
    3. Windows 7 PC - I can see only myself.

I'm able to access XP and Windows 7 from Ubuntu by typing smb://IP_ADDRESS/SHARE NAME.

So any other ideas?
    Last edited by Aero-Z; October 22nd, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
    || Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook S7110 | Genuine Intel CPU T2500 @ 2GHz | 80GB HDD | 3GB DDR2 | Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express | 2.6.31-14-generic (Karmic Koala) ||

Beans
    Distro

I got file sharing to work on XP machine. The picture looks like this right now:
    1. Ubuntu laptop - I can see all computers - XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu itself. Tho I can only access my own shared folder.
    2. XP laptop - I can see all computers and I can access Ubuntu and XP itself. I can't access Windows 7 computer.
    3. Windows 7 PC - I can see only myself.

I'm able to access XP and Windows 7 from Ubuntu by typing smb://IP_ADDRESS/SHARE NAME.

So any other ideas?
    I got sharing working between XP and Ubuntu now. I added XP laptop to /etc/hosts file.
    Still got problem with Windows 7 tho.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great tutorial! Like a stubborn idiot, I tried to evaluate which of the steps I needed, and fought to get it to work. Only after going through all of them did everything run like it should.

Beans
    Distro

I got sharing working between XP and Ubuntu now. I added XP laptop to /etc/hosts file.
    Still got problem with Windows 7 tho.
    I really think your problem is going to be with your Win7 machine though. I'm in the process of recovering my Win7 virtual machine so I can do some testing, but I suggest taking a very hard look at the share configuration on your Win7 box.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    I really think your problem is going to be with your Win7 machine though. I'm in the process of recovering my Win7 virtual machine so I can do some testing, but I suggest taking a very hard look at the share configuration on your Win7 box.
    Yeah, the problem is in the Win7 box. I've googled and re-checked the sharing settings but nothing Sharing between two Win7 machines worked without problems tho. Let me know if you find anything out and I'll also keep you updated

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, the problem is in the Win7 box. I've googled and re-checked the sharing settings but nothing Sharing between two Win7 machines worked without problems tho. Let me know if you find anything out and I'll also keep you updated
    This thread may be of interest to you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1295659

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had it working, and now I broke it, and I'm wondering if I'm trying to accomplish something impossible.

I would like to be able to mount my home directory from my laptop on my desktop and vice versa. I installed samba on the desktop and smbfs on the laptop, installed winbind on the laptop, edited smb.conf on both machines, added the appropriate entry to fstab on the laptop, added "wins" to the hostnames, and opened the appropriate ports through ufw on both machines. Everything was working great.

Then I tried to take it the other direction. However, after installing samba, smbfs, and winbind and adding the line to fstab and "wins" to the hostnames, I can no longer go either direction. Neither home directory will mount on the other machine, and I cannot browse to either of them.

Is it possible for both machines to serve as both a host and a client?

I actually don't know for sure whether the problem was started by trying to set up sharing the other direction or by installing updates.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Is it possible for both machines to serve as both a host and a client?
    Yes it is.

Since both of your computers are using Ubuntu, you should try NFS instead of Samba. Please see the 4th link in my sig.

Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast