Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webm videos on youtube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

webm videos on youtube

I've been trying to watch webm videos on youtube lately with only partial success. Some of them play alright, while others request Adobe Flash. For example, this video requests flash, and this one plays without. I've verified (using a certain service I am probably not allowed to name here) that both videos have .webms of p360 and p460 available, and have, for the lack of a better option, downloaded the one I couldn't watch on youtube.

I use Firefox 15, don't have flash or alternatives installed, do have cookies and scripts allowed, and http://www.youtube.com/html5 shows that I am in the trial.

So what's the problem? Is it the wrong country or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: webm videos on youtube

YouTube will only use html5 on some videos at the moment, something to do with whether the video has adverts or not, remove yourself from the html trial and make sure you have the package flashplugin-installer installed, at least until youtube has perfected its html5 videos
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro

Flash doesn't work all that well for me: high CPU usage, frame drops, security problems. As said above, I can watch the videos that wouldn't stream anyway, just thought I'd ask. Can you elaborate on the topic of "some videos" and "something to do with", and if you have the source of that info, please post a link.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    I've been trying to watch webm videos on youtube lately with only partial success. Some of them play alright, while others request Adobe Flash. For example, this video requests flash, and this one plays without. I've verified (using a certain service I am probably not allowed to name here) that both videos have .webms of p360 and p460 available, and have, for the lack of a better option, downloaded the one I couldn't watch on youtube.

I use Firefox 15, don't have flash or alternatives installed, do have cookies and scripts allowed, and http://www.youtube.com/html5 shows that I am in the trial.

So what's the problem? Is it the wrong country or something?
    Some videos are available as HTML5; some aren't.

To see only the ones which are HTML5, the way I can think of is this:
    Enter "world of poker" in the search bar on the Youtube page. Hit enter for a suitable match.
    Then, search for the word "filter" somewhere near the top of the page and on the left. Click on it, and then from the choice of filters, click WebM on the right hand side. Before doing that you may want to note the number of hits. As soon as you choose WebM, that number will fall.

BTW, I too have heard the same thing about HTML5 videos not being "ad-ready".

Beans

And I disabled the Flash plug-in to reproduce your issue. I see what you see.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Some videos are available as HTML5; some aren't.
    That I would undeerstand, but both videos I've linked to are available as .webm, 100% verified. It's just that the first one wouldn't stream.

To see only the ones which are HTML5, the way I can think of is this:
    Enter "world of poker" in the search bar on the Youtube page. Hit enter for a suitable match.
    Then, search for the word "filter" somewhere near the top of the page and on the left. Click on it, and then from the choice of filters, click WebM on the right hand side. Before doing that you may want to note the number of hits. As soon as you choose WebM, that number will fall.

BTW, I too have heard the same thing about HTML5 videos not being "ad-ready".
    I don't see any "filters" anywhere on any youtube page.

Beans

Here:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

ok, got it! That is indeed a usefull feature, and yet, back to the question. Why wouldn't some webms stream?
    Last edited by mikewhatever; September 12th, 2012 at 01:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    and if you have the source of that info, please post a link.
    It's your link that I got that from,
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMark View Post
    It's your link that I got that from,
    Both videos I've linked to (and many others that won't steam) have no adds, so that is probably irrelevant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast