Thread: Unity - I love it, so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Lightbulb Unity - I love it, so far.

Unity is awesome.

What I like:

+ Fast, simple and sexy.

+ Works great so far. Sure, a bit buggy at times, but it's getting there.

+ I didn't like Gnome-Shell with the new Gnome, that I tried out from a USB stick. I kinda got lost with it. To me, as a user coming from Windows and OSX, this feels "right".

+ Something fresh. I know a lot of ppl (mostly the geeky kind on those tech-savy forums) don't like the idea of Canonical not using G3 and Shell, but I do. A lot of ppl were against having prop. software on Ubuntu or being able to download it from within. I liked the idea. A lot of ppl don't mind all the tearing Compiz has and how buggy (in a dozen cases on my testing side) it is with certain hardware. I do. So, I am often the opposite, but that's fine. I represent the "normal" user, switching from other mainstream OS's

+ 2D version. THIS is nice. A good way to ensure everyone can use it.

What I don't like:

- Based off of Compiz. I just hate Compiz. Sure, neat effects, but I find it slow, buggy and teary most of the time (NOT so in Unity/11.04, talking about older versions here). I have had SO many headaches with it and it was the reason why ppl came to me for Ubuntu and the reason ppl left it. I don't like their forums, either. I wish Wayland the best of luck!

- Can't move it around. I would like to have this at the bottom of the screen, like on seven.

Tha's all. So, keep it going, Canonical! Thanks.

Now, for the near future, give me a movie-store, some prop. software (or some pushing of big Open Source alternative projects, GIMP, KDENLIVE etc.) to load from the Software-Center and two or three majors games (money can buy almost everything) for Ubuntu/Linux and I am sold for sure.

FARTEN!
    Last edited by Oranges10e; April 22nd, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Ubuntu - Be free, be open, go Ubuntu.

Darkwing Duck has spoken.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Arrow Re: Unity - I love it, so far.

Just a quick little thing, that I just noticed. I see this as a HUGE step for Ubuntu:

(What I like more)

++ The Nvidia drivers were activated and installed @default on my machine - AWESOME! So, Install Ubuntu (while installing updating) and you're ready to use it! No more trying to find out how basic things work.

++++ (This one has made me go NUTTS, I really mean it, over the last few years, using Ubuntu) Unity is using Compiz, what I don't like that much, BUT Vsync is actually working so far! I was using Unity on an Intel GMA so far, where Vsync was working out-of-the-box, too. I figured, okay, this has been working for some time now, since newer Intels drivers support KMS (?). But how shocked was I, when I figured, that it is working for my Nvidia Laptop as well ____ out-of-the-box____ ! THIS is awesome and EXTREMLY user friendly. Honestly, this alone makes me use Ubuntu as my primary system once again. At least now I can watch videos and online stuff, without videos tearing to hell. At least NOW I can do those full-screen presentations, without having to let the ppl watching run out, because of the bad tearing.

THANKS CANONICAL, THANKS UBUNTU.

/ stars from me.

PS: Where can I post, to let the devs know I love this (besides the forums that is).
    Last edited by Oranges10e; April 22nd, 2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Sorry, I meant to edit this to my post. I don't know, why I clicked on "new post" -,-"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unity - I love it, so far.

I doubt that Canonical would mind a bit of fanmail directly. = ) There's also a section on this board specifically for testimonials, good or bad, so you might want to share your experience there.

While I'm not using Unity, I agree that Ubuntu has taken leaps and bounds in terms of usability lately! = D I'm always impressed with the little tasks that used to be a hassle and just work after an upgrade.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unity is the way to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Arrow Re: Unity - I love it, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    I doubt that Canonical would mind a bit of fanmail directly. = ) There's also a section on this board specifically for testimonials, good or bad, so you might want to share your experience there.

While I'm not using Unity, I agree that Ubuntu has taken leaps and bounds in terms of usability lately! = D I'm always impressed with the little tasks that used to be a hassle and just work after an upgrade.

YES - both of you. I just cant write how much this means to me. You see, I have been trying, pushing, commenting, going mad,... about this over the last few years. As a new user, I really didn't understand WHY certain things were not fixed or updated yet. NOW you can actually FEEL and SEE the jump. Way to go, Ubuntu!

I am waiting for the release of 11.04 and will upgrade our Computers to Ubuntu again. I was using XP on them, as the primary OS, for the reasons mentioned above and a few more. This step will give Ubuntu the comeback it deserves, for doing something very, very awesome and right - especially nice for NEW and fresh users. Not even Windows 7 is as user-friendly as this baby now.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I already posted in someones topic called: "Awsome." Listen, why don't you post there, too (both of you)? Our gratitude has to be shown. I will post this on as many forums and topics as I can.

I always felt like; "They are good ppl, Kal-EL, they only lack the light to show them the way. For that reason, above all, I have sent them you, my only son."

I can see that light now in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Happy that you are happy!

As I followed various threads of you, I can really compassion how much that means to you, and Ubuntu!
    That seems to be a tremendous step forward.

However, there are still a lot of issues and bugs to be ironed out yet, "teething problems", like called in another thread.

Greetings.

Beans
    Hidden!

well unity, yes, but there seem to be no way to configure it, it looks to me just something static.
    Or are there some instructions somewhere as how to set the whole thing up?

For example:
    there are no more menus, OK. To start an app, one needs to go with this icon for apps search? The a black screen appears with some hugged icons on it. Can this be configured so it does not appear black but somehow more decent, bright, white or so?
    Can this be configured so the apps are listed in kind of column instead of being spread all over the screen?

And can the icons on the left side be made smaller? They are so big, take 10percent of the screen.
    Last edited by ottosykora; April 24th, 2011 at 02:32 PM.

Beans

Unity is absolutely the right way forward. Ubuntu/Canonical/SABDFL have this RIGHT. This is the first release and it's already pretty good. 11.10 will be superb. 12.04 (with wayland) will be better still. Ubuntu has to be the most innovative distro, that's its job. All the additional configuration options people say they want will come in the next release - it takes a lot of effort to code and test all the many permutations so Ubuntu just want to get the basic system out there to start with.

In two years' time, unity will be accepted as standard and no-one will miss what we had before.
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans
    Hidden!

what I just get known: unity and gmome3 uses zeitgeist framework. This is real security and privacy problem.
    There is no way one can do without however if continuing with ubuntu.
    This will probably mean finish with ubuntu on all my computers.

It looks as all world is moving towards some systems where all is known , registered and stored and as an excuse enhanced 'features' for the user are given.
    Then all is at the same level as the other big players in OS market.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ottosykora View Post
    Then all is at the same level as the other big players in OS market.
    Doesn't that mean in reverse that you can't use any OS at all?

• Gnome ended the development of Gnome 2 and every Linux distribution that uses it is therefore forced to phase it out, and use Gnome 3 instead, or develop an alternative, like Canonical did with Unity.
    • Windows is ...well... Windows.
    • Apple has, too, a history of "user surveillance".
    • Not to mention Google.
    • I don't know about the state of KDE though, if it uses Zeitgeist or not, maybe you should check that out.

Greetings.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast