Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFW inactive at startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

UFW inactive at startup

I have enabled UFW with default values of Deny for Incoming and Allow for outgoing. However, after every startup, when I run <sudo ufw status> the reply is 'inactive'. This was on original 10.04 that I installed last week. I did a complete update today, and the behaviour is the same. Am I doing something wrong, do I need to issue a command to make the setting stick?

A related question about the system update: the startup screen now presents the updated kernel as a system I can load, as well as the old kernel. Is this normal? I would have expected the update would have replaced the kernel.

Beans

Re: UFW inactive at startup

Post this output
    Code:
    grep ^ENABLED /etc/ufw/ufw.conf
    sudo service ufw start
    sudo ufw status
    cat /etc/init/ufw.conf
    Also, kernels are not removed or replaced when you install a newer version. That way, if the newer kernel breaks something, you can boot to the previous one.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you, here it is:

Code:
    lynx@lynx-desktop:~$ sudo ufw status
    [sudo] password for lynx: 
    lynx@lynx-desktop:~$ grep ^ENABLED /etc/ufw/ufw.conf
    ENABLED=yes
    lynx@lynx-desktop:~$ sudo service ufw start
    start: Job is already running: ufw
    lynx@lynx-desktop:~$ sudo ufw status
    lynx@lynx-desktop:~$ cat /etc/init/ufw.conf
    # ufw - Uncomplicated Firewall
    #
    # The Uncomplicated Firewall is a front-end for iptables, to make managing a
    # Netfilter firewall easier.

description    "Uncomplicated firewall"

# Make sure we start before an interface receives traffic
    start on (starting network-interface
              or starting network-manager
              or starting networking)

stop on runlevel [!023456]

console output

pre-start exec /lib/ufw/ufw-init start quiet
    post-stop exec /lib/ufw/ufw-init stop
    lynx@lynx-desktop:~$
    Can you make sense of that?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: UFW inactive at startup

Sorry if this is a silly question but have you done a

Code:
    $ sudo ufw enable
    ? I think it sets some internal state... it's tripped me before.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, of course, Fatman. I've since reinstalled Ubuntu and the firewall is now active at statup. I'll be reinstalling once more when I'm done researching and testing things, so hopefully all will be well. I think what spooked things up for me was that I downloaded two GUIs for ufw and there may have been a conflict. Now I just use the command line.
    Last edited by KonfuseKitty; June 24th, 2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: can't spell!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KonfuseKitty View Post
    Yes, of course, Fatman. I've since reinstalled Ubuntu and the firewall is now active at statup. I'll be reinstalling once more when I'm done researching and testing things, so hopefully all will be well. I think what spooked things up for me was that I downloaded two GUIs for ufw and there may have been a conflict. Now I just use the command line.
    That is most likely your problem.

The graphical tools configure itpables and if you install both firestarter and ufw the config files conflict and ufw will not start.

The problem is simply removing firestarter does not solve this as remove does not remove the firestarter config files, you need to purge firestarter.

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge firestarter
    Of course you may nee dto re-install it before you can purge it, lol.

I reported this bug (firestarter vs ufw) more then a year ago.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Interesting info, thank you. In general terms is the "purge" parameter what I should use to completely get rid of any software? When I removed Firefox I noticed some files were not removed and deleted them manually. Would purge have done that for me?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KonfuseKitty View Post
    Interesting info, thank you. In general terms is the "purge" parameter what I should use to completely get rid of any software? When I removed Firefox I noticed some files were not removed and deleted them manually. Would purge have done that for me?
    The command to purge a package was already given. A purge should remove all configuration files created when a package was installed. Files which may have been created by the application, such as your firefox profile in your home directory (~/.mozilla/firefox), would not be deleted by removing or purging the package. Also, other related packages such as firefox-branding or firefox-gnome-support sometimes get installed as dependencies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I, too, have noticed this issue in both Ubuntu 10.04 and the sister release of Linux Mint 9 Isadora. When I restart after doing the following:

sudo ufw enable
    sudo ufw default deny

And I then do:

sudo iptables -L

None of the output I see indicates my "default deny" settings. Upon checking the status of ufw with the appropriate command, it is listed as inactive. And when I activate ufw, the settings from "default deny" magically reappear. This happens in both virtual machines and "real" installs on partitions, which I painstakingly set up and tested. It's quite annoying and very discouraging. When I read that ufw is enabled on startup, I expect to see that hold true when I use the "sudo ufw status" command, and I also expect to see the "default deny" rules in iptables whenever I do "sudo iptables -L". It's a simple matter of control: I want my system to do what I want it to do and what it says it will do, so why does it do neither?
    Last edited by Vimmander; June 28th, 2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Annoying typos I missed >.>
    Dell Inspiron 1501, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN, 120GB SATA (Windows 7/Ubuntu Precise dual boot), 2GB DIMM DRAM, SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GrogTheDreamer View Post
    I, too, have noticed this issue in both Ubuntu 10.04 and the sister release of Linux Mint 9 Isadora. When I restart after doing the following:

sudo ufw enable
    sudo ufw default deny

And I then do:

sudo iptables -L

None of the output I see indicates my "default deny" settings. Upon checking the status of ufw with the appropriate command, it is listed as inactive. And when I activate ufw, the settings from "default deny" magically reappear. This happens in both virtual machines and "real" installs on partitions, which I painstakingly set up and tested. It's quite annoying and very discouraging. When I read that ufw is enabled on startup, I expect to see that hold true when I use the "sudo ufw status" command, and I also expect to see the "default deny" rules in iptables whenever I do "sudo iptables -L". It's a simple matter of control: I want my system to do what I want it to do and what it says it will do, so why does it do neither?
    Have you ever installed another package which may update iptables? Do your systems have a network connection? I can't seem to reproduce your problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast