Thread: Building customized Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Building customized Ubuntu

Hi,
    I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and trying to build a customized Ubuntu, with some changes with softwares and languages. To do this, I am using Ubuntu Customization Kit (UCK).

At first, I am choosing "English (en)" language pack to install.

After that, I am choosing "English (en)" language to be available at boot of live CD.

At this point I am choosing "en" from the "Select items from the list" window.

Now it lets me choosing the desktop environment for my customized CD. From KDE, Gnome and Others, I choose only "Gnome".

Here it asked me to choose the ISO find which I want to customize and I have selected the ISO file of Ubuntu 12.04 and give a new name for my CD and click OK.

Then it asked "Do you want to customize the CD manually during building?". I have selected "Yes".

Now it prompts "Do you want to delete all windows-related files from CD?" I have selected "Yes".

At this point it asked "Do you want to generate a hybrid image?" and I selected "Yes".

Now it said to enter my password and starting to build the new customized CD. I have entered the password and it has started the build.

After some time it opens a window with "build failure message" and asked me to check build.log file to check the problem. When I have checked the file I have found the line that

"cp: `/etc/resolv.conf' and `/home/fahim/tmp/remaster-root/etc/resolv.conf' are the same file"

I don't know why this problem is occurring again and again. Please help me anyone. How can I solve this? I'm in real problem. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Building customized Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by uzumakifahim View Post
    "cp: `/etc/resolv.conf' and `/home/fahim/tmp/remaster-root/etc/resolv.conf' are the same file"
    I have tried UCK several times in the last month and still can't get it to work correctly. You should be able to move past this error by editing the build script.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/lib/uck/remaster-live-cd.sh
    Search for:
    Code:
    cp -f /etc/resolv.conf
    And change the -f to -d.

Or do it automatically:
    Code:
    sudo sed -i "s/cp -f \/etc\/resolv.conf/cp -d \/etc\/resolv.conf/" /usr/lib/uck/remaster-live-cd.sh
    I bet you'll still run into errors before you finish the build. There was a bug that inhibited editing using a graphical package manager that was marked as 'Won't Fix'. Instead they decided not to include that option in the next version. I'm not sure if that version is out, and if it is, I'm not sure it has made it this far downstream.

Good luck.
    Kopkins

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Kopkins for your reply. But in the meantime I have found another tool to do the same task. That is "Ubuntu builder", it seems much better than UCK to me. Though I have not succeeded fully to customize any Ubuntu distribution yet, but I hope I can do that soon. Have you done any successful customization with Ubuntu distributions by UCK or any other tools? I think if you please share your knowledge in this thread, that would be great and helpful for everyone.

Beans

I used uck a couple of weeks ago. In my case I was using Ubuntu 10.04
    I found the uck package in 10.04 to be buggy and ended up downloading the latest from sourceforge. This worked ok for me.

It may be that uck for 12.04 is also buggy.
    Have you tried installing the latest from sourceforge?

Beans
    Distro

@brian_mk, I haven't tried in that way yet. Your idea is good. I'll try to get the latest release from Sourceforge. But, I have a question for you, have you get success to change the default dektop environment for Ubuntu? Actually I want cinnamon as default desktop. Is that possible with UCK? Please share your experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you had any trouble with this:

Mounting ISO image...
    mount: warning: /home/username/tmp/remaster-iso-mount seems to be mounted read-only.

Can I chane permission for that?

Beans
    Distro

I don't understand your problem clearly. If you are facing any problem with remastersys. Please start a new thread, hope that will help you to solve your problem easily. Whatever, I use remastersys recently. It works fine for me. But when I am testing my customized ISO on a usb drive time & date is not showing. It is showing "TIme", just instead of date & time. Could anyone help me regarding this?

Thanks.

Beans

ubuntu 12.04 uses the indicator-datetime which doesn't display the date with the time. You can add a clock applet but you will have to uninstall indicator-datetime else you'll have two clocks.

that being said i'm also having an issue with:

Mounting ISO image...
    mount: warning: /home/username/tmp/remaster-iso-mount seems to be mounted read-only.

and changing the permissions didn't help as each time you start a build those folders are deleted and recreated as root. Not sure what the issue is, bug report claimed it was fixed, but never really stated how. After some reading I've come to uck isn't stable enough to be reliable and I've had great luck with remastersys. I just wanted to find a way to not have remastersys and it's dependencies installed on the live cd and/or the install. Any clues there would be great

Beans
    Distro

@ nadarockyraccoon, I have found a solution for this time & date issue with remastersys. Please do the following to solve :

As root open remastersys script from /usr/bin/remastersys with gedit. Find the keyword timezone using find tool of gedit.

The code will be like this :

Code:
    rm -f $WORKDIR/dummysys/etc/{resolv.conf,hosts,hostname,timezone,mtab*,fstab}
    Now remove timezone from the line above. Then the line will be like :

Code:
    rm -f $WORKDIR/dummysys/etc/{resolv.conf,hosts,hostname,mtab*,fstab}
    Now save the script and create your new customized Ubuntu. Hope your problem will be solve this time.
    Last edited by uzumakifahim; July 30th, 2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: better look & feel