Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Beans

Re: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Quote Originally Posted by mlnease View Post
    Hello Dyssident,
    By the way, I've found that the IP Address on both computers is the same--that of the router. Could this be the problem or part of it?

Thanks in advance.
    Are you sure? Does ifconfig tell in both computers that "inet addr" is the same?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for this How-to. I've been pulling my hair out between trying to set up a storage server for my home network and dealing with Samba. What a pain in the BUTT. I'm not ever touching Samba again. I don't have the time to deal with it. Your ftp transfer how-to was exactly what I wanted to do, to just simply transfer stuff between systems.
    Thanks again!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jis View Post
    Are you sure? Does ifconfig tell in both computers that "inet addr" is the same?
    JIS,

Thanks very much for the response and my apologies for my late response--somehow I missed the notification.

Yes, the ifconfig output for both computers is inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0.

Thanks again for your attention.

mike
    Dell Optiplex GX760 Intel Core 2 Duo 8400 3.00GHz 4GB RAM Linux User 498777 - Ubuntu User 29378

Beans

Lot's of FAQ's and tutorials and nothing mentions setting ftp catalog o_O Wtf? I started a server and how the hell to set a directory for it? Nothing in config. Not a single string about dirs !
    I want to share a /home/user/Downloads. That's all i need. Blah =\

PS
    Yep. It's hard on linux after macosx. Mac eat your brain. You are warned.

i follow all steps. include
    Create Zeroconf Service Announcements (Optional)
    ssh vnc ftp between 2 machines all ok. /usr/bin/avahi-discover show each machine. avahi-browse -ac, i can see each side IPv6 IPv4's Workstation.

i install "service-discovery-applet", but i only got "No server found".

this is ok.
    Click Places->Connect to Server. Click the Service Type dropdown and select 'FTP (with login)'. Enter hostname.local in Server
    this is false. this part is just i want.
    Click Places->Network Servers. You should see an icon labeled FTP File Sharing.
    fvwm is the best wm.

Beans
    Hidden!

Nice tutorial. Works fine, but I've got a question relating to the FTP server's apparent limitations. I keep videos & photos on a separate larger drive and my Docs in the "home" tree on an SSD. A symbolic link to the videos is seen as broken by Nautilus and it queries me to move it to the trash.

I like the simplicity [& non-Windoz centricity] of this setup, but is there a way to overcome the apparent weaknesses of FTP, symbolic links, and/or Nautilus?
    Last edited by marawuti; May 16th, 2011 at 10:51 PM.

Beans

I know it's an old thread, but...

Users of Ubuntu 12.4 will find that this method is broken, The fix is fairly simple.
    in the vsftpd.conf file
    -do NOT uncomment the "#chroot_local_user=YES" line.
    -immediately after that line add "local_root=/home/{name}/Public" where {name} is the name on the user's home folder and "Public" can either be the Public folder installed by default in Ubuntu or any other subfolder you want... it just cannot be the home folder. (vsftp does not want you connecting with write privileges directly to the home folder)

Also, you'll find it is not necessary to load Avahi at all. In the Nautilus file manager window you can go to the 'File" menu and click 'connect to server' and enter the proper information. Once you connect, "Bookmark" the connection and it will not only always be there in the Nautilus side pane, but you can also go the directly from the Unity Launcher by right clicking on the folder icon, then on the bookmarked link.
    Faster than ever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by wally the duck View Post
    I know it's an old thread, but...

Users of Ubuntu 12.4 will find that this method is broken, The fix is fairly simple.
    in the vsftpd.conf file
    -do NOT uncomment the "#chroot_local_user=YES" line.
    -immediately after that line add "local_root=/home/{name}/Public" where {name} is the name on the user's home folder and "Public" can either be the Public folder installed by default in Ubuntu or any other subfolder you want... it just cannot be the home folder. (vsftp does not want you connecting with write privileges directly to the home folder)

Also, you'll find it is not necessary to load Avahi at all. In the Nautilus file manager window you can go to the 'File" menu and click 'connect to server' and enter the proper information. Once you connect, "Bookmark" the connection and it will not only always be there in the Nautilus side pane, but you can also go the directly from the Unity Launcher by right clicking on the folder icon, then on the bookmarked link.
    Faster than ever!
    Thank you You have good timing. I was just going to look into this again to keep my files handy until prices come down on HD's so I can get a NAS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This thread is closed.

The information is now held on the community wiki at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ea...FTPAndZeroconf

Thank you for your thread and the work you have done in keeping it current and of use to the community.

A thread for discussion of the wiki can be found at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2012424

Support threads regarding the wiki and it's content should be created in a suitable forum.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910