Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do I get lib64 from?

Beans

Where do I get lib64 from?

Hi, I'm trying to compile some software. I'm following the instruction in the INSTALL file...
    When I run...
    CFLAGS="-g -Wall" ./configure --enable-64bit --with-libs=/usr/lib64
    It comes back with the error...
    configure: error: *** Library directory /usr/lib64 does not exist.

I'm guessing this is some general thing rather that something specific to the software I'm trying to install. Any ideas what this means or where I get it?

(In case its relevant I'm trying to install grass6.4.2 in 64-bit mode. http://grass.osgeo.org/grass64/sourc...s-6.4.2.tar.gz)
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Where do I get lib64 from?

Hi grass 6.4.1 is available in the repository so lib64 should be there as a dependency. Is there a lot of difference between 6.4.1 and 6.4.2?

Also the grass web page says the have an Ubuntu PPA which means you can install there repository and install the program with all the needed dependencies so you should not need to configure it yourself.

here is their ppa page
    https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+ar...tugis-unstable

if you need help with how to activate the PPA repository let us know we can walk you through it.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

Thanks Dave,

I need to use Grass 6.4.2 as v.voronoi has a bug in 6.4.1
    I have confirmed this by running 6.4.1 and 6.4.2 on windows
    However I cant use grass on windows for the full data set as I need access to more than the 2GB (Windows grass only seems to be readably available in 32-bit).

The GRASS web pages says that 6.4.2 binaries are available for Ubuntu. But as far as I can tell this is not the case. The link you listed says the package includes 6.4.1-2. Not sure what this means. But when I install grass from this repository it installs 6.4.1.

I found generic (not ubuntu specific) 64-bit binaries for version 6.4.3 but it came up with errors when I tried to install it. So at this point I though of going down the compile option. Thinking this was a bad idea though.

Anyway I did as you suggested and installed 6.4.1 again. However there is no directory: /usr/lib64
    ?

There is a folder /lib64 though - it contains one link file to /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.13.so
    I tried changing the CFLAGS command to use this file but then it jsut came up with an error saying it couldnt locate "lex". So I'm guessing this is not the same thing
    Last edited by 7o7YlUcb; March 25th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kc1di View Post
    Also the grass web page says the have an Ubuntu PPA which means you can install there repository and install the program with all the needed dependencies so you should not need to configure it yourself.
    I agree, it's better to use PPA when possible.

If you still want to compile it from source, the default library directory is /usr/lib not /usr/lib64.

If you're going to compile more software, I'd recommend you get some notion of how to use compiler/linker flags.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

just so you will know the /usr/lib64 is not the file it's looking for it's looking for lib64 , but when I do a search for in in synaptic there are several so without down loading the source code and looking at the readme files I'm not sure exactly which lib64 file it's asking for i'm not sure.

the problem is that there may be more dependencies you'll have to chase down also. but it can be done sometimes it will take a bit of detective work to find out what programs supply what files though.
    Good Luck with it. you will have to have all dependencies installed before ./configure will complete without errors.

Dave

you can add there Personal repository by in a terminal using the following command <sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable> (Without the brackets) and see if it pulls 6.4.2
    you will a have to do sudo apt-get update after then search for your program
    Last edited by kc1di; March 25th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Wireless script
    Dave

Beans

--with-libs=/usr/lib64
    Either use /usr/lib or make a /usr/lib64 symlink pointing to /usr/lib

the problem is that there may be more dependencies you'll have to chase down
    apt-get build-dep usually gets most (if not all) required dependencies:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep grass

Beans

Thanks Dave, Temüjin,

I tried ...
    CFLAGS="-g -Wall" ./configure --enable-64bit --with-libs=/usr/lib
    ..but then get ...
    configure: error: *** Unable to locate lex.

Running 'locate' I get this...
    Code:
    /lib64
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
    /usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-12/arch/sh/lib64
    /usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-12/arch/sh/lib64/Makefile
    /usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-16/arch/sh/lib64
    /usr/src/linux-headers-3.0.0-16/arch/sh/lib64/Makefile
    I tried all of these directories but get the same error.

What I dont understand is why it would need a missing dependancy? As suggested: I installed 6.4.1, check it runs and check it is a 64-bit application. Then without uninstalling it, try to compile 6.4.2. You would think there wouldnt be much difference so it wouldn't need extra stuff like lib64 which sounds kind of fundamental.

you can add there Personal repository by in a terminal using the following command <sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable> (Without the brackets) and see if it pulls 6.4.2
    you will a have to do sudo apt-get update after then search for your program
    Do you mean to add the repository, install GRASS it and run it? This is what I did and GRASS says it is 6.4.1
    The GRASS website implies that 6.4.2 is available as a binary for Ubuntu but as far as I can tell it is not. Ie 6.4.2 is not available in a PPA.
    I do this...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install grass
    grass

..and the GUI that pops up says it is grass 6.4.1.
    Last edited by 7o7YlUcb; March 25th, 2012 at 11:14 PM.

Beans

Code:
    sudo apt-get install flex
    Then, try build again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RevRhubar View Post

Do you mean to add the repository, install GRASS it and run it? This is what I did and GRASS says it is 6.4.1
    The GRASS website implies that 6.4.2 is available as a binary for Ubuntu but as far as I can tell it is not. Ie 6.4.2 is not available in a PPA.
    I do this...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install grass
    grass

..and the GUI that pops up says it is grass 6.4.1.
    Well I was only going by the web site Don't have installed myslef but they sure make it sound as if it's available in their unstable PPA. Oh well guess if you want it you'll have to figure what dependencies are missing and install them one at at time. the problem is that they mostlikely changed the version # on many of the deps also so the old ones don't look like the right ones for 6.4.2 Run into this with claws mail also every time they update to a newer version you have to rebuild all the plugins also even though they haven't really changed.

Hope you get it worked out.
    Wireless script
    Dave

Beans

I tried
    sudo apt-get install flex

but didnt have success.

I hadnt appreciated how tricky it could be to compile things on Linux. I think what I'll do is temporarily install another linux distro that does have 6.4.2 available. I think this wlll be quicker in the long run.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast