Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Fliers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Ubuntu Fliers

swab, thanks for taking a look at this and any more feedback you have would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some links about LoCos:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams (how to set one up or join an existing one)
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList (list of existing teams)

jon, I'll take a look at it tonight and try to give you some feedback as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Here is an example of what I mean about the layout. I removed the image as it was too big to upload here. But you get the idea.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

So... just so I know what to tell the SGA, we want to put up boxes that say "FREE: Please Take One" and have the Fliers with attached CDs inside?

Also I was looking at the flier files and I agree with Swab on the margin issue. The justified text looks good too.

I was reading through the opening paragraph and I had a couple of questions:

1) Tech students are very anal about details and saying that "...you do not get any viruses..." may be scoffed at as inaccurate. Maybe something more like "...the risk of viruses et cetera is greatly reduced because Ubuntu [is] built with security in mind." Also, there is a typo in that sentence, it --> is.

2) Two sentences later, there is "You are free" and then a new sentence starts. Were we going to talk about free as in freedom there?

3) I haven't ordered CDs from Ubuntu before, do they come in a slim jewel case? Also, how long does it take for the CDs to arrive usually?

4) Aside from the box outside my house, the one in the Student center, and the one in the Library, are there any other places you would like me to scout?
    2GHz AMD 939, 256MB GeForce 7600GT, 1GB DDR PC 2700 RAM, Feisty Fawn
    1.76GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 950 GMA, 1GB DDR2 PC2 5300 RAM, Fiesty Fawn
    Registered Linux User #437675 | Registered Ubuntu User #10829

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

this might actually something we can do with LUG@GT. Might be easier to get SGA to agree if there was school-sponsored group going along with you.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The flier looks good, nice work! My concerns basically reflect what Kevin already said. We should fix the "viruses" and the "you are free."

Do we want to physically stick the Cd's to the flier? I was picturing either a separate stack of fliers, and Cd's or a insert in the CD jewel case.

Kevin, as for you question about the ship it Cd's. They come in a very nice card board case describing Ubuntu and all that jazz. However, a couple people I know have recently tried to order Ship-it Cd's and were denied. Not to mention they take forever to get here. Which is really to bad, cause I would pay to get the ship-it Cd's because they are so nice compared even other Ubuntu Cd's you can by off the Internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

First I'll answer some questions.

Kevin:

"So... just so I know what to tell the SGA, we want to put up boxes that say "FREE: Please Take One" and have the Fliers with attached CDs inside?"

Yup. That's the just of it.

1 & 2) I see what you are talking about in the paragraph. I will change those sentences. (and the grammer issues! )

I'll see if I can fit the info about software freedom in there as well.

3) The cd's come in small cardboard cases that fold out. They have nice graphics on the covers, and instructions on the inside. So far, only the LTS version is provided, which is Dapper 6.06. They also take some time to arrive, like a couple of weeks. I think it was something like 6-8 weeks.

4) Anywhere that you want to! If you see a place that you want to put, then you are free to do so. (just check w/ whoever has control of the place first! )

If you could just keep track of how many are taken - say, after a week or so, that would be great, so that we can track the effectiveness of this project. I have said before, the goal of this project is to get Ubuntu out to the masses who 99.9% of the time have not heard of Ubuntu.

Thanks again for volunteering to help out!

Swab:

I like the way that the justified lower paragraph looks. Can I move it over to the flier? Thanks for creating it!

JSVH:

I had planned for the cd's to be attached to the fliers, with like some double-sided tape, or any other tape for the matter. That way, people would pick up both the flier and the cd. If it was in a place where you could stack both the cd's and the fliers, then they could be separate.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JReagan1990 View Post
    I like the way that the justified lower paragraph looks. Can I move it over to the flier? Thanks for creating it!
    Yes, of course you can use it.

Slight tangent, but have you guys seen the freedom toaster? I wish I had the resources to put one of those into some public building!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks. I uploaded the new files w/ the updated free sofware & security clauses. I have also moved the Ubuntu logo down a bit on the page.

btw... do you guys think we should justify the upper paragraph as well? If so, how do I do it? I still haven't managed to get the top paragraph to be all nice and square, like its in a box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Is it just me or is it hard to read black text on the brown background? I'm not sure white text would like nice though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JReagan1990 View Post
    Thanks. I uploaded the new files w/ the updated free sofware & security clauses. I have also moved the Ubuntu logo down a bit on the page.

btw... do you guys think we should justify the upper paragraph as well? If so, how do I do it? I still haven't managed to get the top paragraph to be all nice and square, like its in a box.
    You know how to centre text right? Well just two icons along you have justify. Should sort out the top paragraph.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast