Page 89 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Beans

Re: HOWTO Install Samsung Unified Printer Driver

Quote Originally Posted by lipinski View Post
    Not sure what you mean by alternate driver versions... Is this something from Samsung, or from the repositories?
    In the repository. You can replace samsungmfp-driver with samsungmfp-driver-3.00.65 or samsungmfp-driver-legacy, separately or in combination with replacing samsungmfp-data with samsungmfp-data-legacy.

If you were using the Samsung driver in the older version of Ubuntu (either my packages or directly), switching the driver version to an older one may well solve your problem. If you were using foomatic or some other driver at that time, it's less likely but still possible one of the alternate packages will help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tweedledee View Post
    In the repository. You can replace samsungmfp-driver with samsungmfp-driver-3.00.65 or samsungmfp-driver-legacy, separately or in combination with replacing samsungmfp-data with samsungmfp-data-legacy.

If you were using the Samsung driver in the older version of Ubuntu (either my packages or directly), switching the driver version to an older one may well solve your problem. If you were using foomatic or some other driver at that time, it's less likely but still possible one of the alternate packages will help.
    I tried every combination I could think of - to no avail.

Actually, the old drivers made the problem worse - instead of just printing based on the wrong left edge position, the printing also printed on the bottom of the page, which when using 4.25"x5" paper, means that nothing is printed at all.
    Using the most recent driver brought it back to the top edge, but using the wrong left edge still.

Frustrating - I know this worked at one point in Ubuntu. It's things like this that make me want to throw in the towel with Linux as a desktop alternative - something as simple as printing a few labels turns into hours/days of troubleshooting...

I appreciate the help. If you have any other ideas, I'm willing to try anything.

Beans

When trying to select the driver, how to I know which is which? Or, specifically, which is from your reopsitory?

When using the CUPS administration webpage, I copied the source html for the related selections:

<OPTION VALUE="foomatic:Samsung-CLP-610-foo2qpdl.ppd" >Samsung CLP-610 Foomatic/foo2qpdl (en)
    <OPTION VALUE="foo2zjs:0/ppd/foo2zjs/Samsung-CLP-610.ppd" >Samsung CLP-610 Foomatic/foo2qpdl (recommended) (en)
    <OPTION VALUE="foo2zjs:1/ppd/foo2zjs/Samsung-CLP-610.ppd" >Samsung CLP-610 Foomatic/foo2qpdl (recommended) (en)

<OPTION VALUE="Samsung-CLP-610.ppd.gz" >Samsung CLP-610 Foomatic/foo2qpdl (recommended) (en)
    <OPTION VALUE="samsung/CLP-610splc.ppd.gz" >Samsung CLP-610 Series (SPL-C) (en)
    <OPTION VALUE="splix:0/ppd/splix/samsung/clp610.ppd" >Samsung CLP-610, 2.0.0 (en)
    <OPTION VALUE="splix:0/ppd/splix/samsung/clp610fr.ppd" >Samsung CLP-610, 2.0.0 (fr)
    <OPTION VALUE="splix:0/ppd/splix/samsung/clp610pt.ppd" >Samsung CLP-610, 2.0.0 (pt_BR)
    <OPTION VALUE="splix:0/ppd/splix/samsung/clp610nd.ppd" >Samsung CLP-610ND, 2.0.0 (en)
    <OPTION VALUE="splix:0/ppd/splix/samsung/clp610ndfr.ppd" >Samsung CLP-610ND, 2.0.0 (fr)
    <OPTION VALUE="splix:0/ppd/splix/samsung/clp610ndpt.ppd" >Samsung CLP-610ND, 2.0.0 (pt_BR)

All the 2.0.0 drivers/models seems to cause the printer to print out an improper driver error.
    I don't notice much difference in the foomatic vs SPL-C ones.
    Are all the foomatic ones the same?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lipinski View Post
    When trying to select the driver, how to I know which is which? Or, specifically, which is from your reopsitory?
    The SPL-C ones (the ones that don't say foomatic or splix) are the official Samsung drivers. I would guess that you were using an old version of a foomatic (or maybe splix) driver when your printer behaved as you expected, and something has broken it since then. Although it's possibly that it's some change in CUPS that is the problem.

Short of removing one of the paper-size handles (which is probably irreversible) so that you can hold the labels in place all the way to left, or switching to a different label system on a larger sheet, I can't think of anything else for you to try. Actually, it's possible this problem is common but only infrequently encountered - I'm sure it's been years since I tried to print on a reduced size piece of paper on my printer. Samsung's support for printers on Linux is less than ideal, and since it's all proprietary there's not much that can be done about it.

However, I'm not saying there isn't a solution or that someone else following this thread might not have solved it - just that I don't know of one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by okkadiroglu View Post
    Hi,

I did it! Thanks all for the help.

I installed,

samsungmfp-data, samsungmf--configurator-data, samsungmfdriver, samsungmfp-scanner from http://ww.bchemnet.com/suldr debian extra.

Also, my user is in the lp and saned groups. After starting the CLX-2160, responce to the lsusb is:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 04e8:3425 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd

and for

sane-find-scanner

I got:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0ac8, product=0x303b) at libusb:002:003
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.], product=0x3425 [CLX-216x Series]) at libusb:001:007

Inserting vendor and product numbers for CLX-2160 listed above into

/ect/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf

I was able to scan.

Many thanks for all those helpers.

Bast Regards
    I followed all your steps and i can't make it work. Can you give me a clue. This is your message, and my results

I installed,
    samsungmfp-data, samsungmf--configurator-data, samsungmfdriver, samsungmfp-scanner from http://ww.bchemnet.com/suldr debian extra.
    [ME TOO - OK]

Also, my user is in the lp and saned groups. After starting the CLX-2160, responce to the lsusb is:

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 04e8:3425 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd
    [MINE]
    Bus 008 Device 003: ID 04e8:3425 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd

and for

sane-find-scanner

I got:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0ac8, product=0x303b) at libusb:002:003
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.], product=0x3425 [CLX-216x Series]) at libusb:001:007

[MINE]
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.], product=0x3425 [CLX-216x Series]) at libusb:008:003
    (This is the only change, can be this?)

Inserting vendor and product numbers for CLX-2160 listed above into

/ect/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf

[MINE]
    /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf
    (I added this lines based on your tutorial)
    # Samsung CLX-216x Series
    usb 0x0ac8 0x303b

# Samsung CLX-2160
    usb 0x04e8 0x3425

I was able to scan.
    [MINE]
    I can't

Can anybody help me with the Samsung CLX-2160.

Thank you very much for your attention. Best Regards

Beans

I followed pdonadeo's instructions and printing worked. But scanning didn't. There are a couple of steps I took:

Removed the following files from /etc/udev/rules.d:
    98_smfpautoconf_samsung.rules
    99_smfpautoconf_samsung.rules

Power off the printer, remove usb cable, reconnect and power on.

Add my user account to lp and scanner group

Run xsane as root which successfully detected the Samsung SCX-3200 device. Then run xsane again as regular user to confirm it works after detection.

I got this printer for less than US$100. Can't complain the extra work required!
    Last edited by fongbt; January 27th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

FAX w/ SCX-4623F (USB)?

Is there anyone able to send and/or receive faxes wirh an SCX-4623F?
    Sent as ripples into the electromagnetic field.
    No single photon has been harmed in the process.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fongbt View Post
    Removed the following files from /etc/udev/rules.d:
    98_smfpautoconf_samsung.rules
    99_smfpautoconf_samsung.rules
    Was this actually necessary - meaning that if you restored those files now after the other steps you took, can you still scan?

I'm asking because I have been wondering for a while if those files were actually necessary/useful to include, but have no method for testing myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In a fresh system install of ubuntu 11.04, I install the unified driver from the repository, as described in the first message. However, my samsung clp-315 printer keeps using ubuntu's driver (spl-c) instead of the new one, resulting in wrong colors (I remember having exactly the same problem on a previous ubuntu installation, before using the unified driver).

How can I force it to use the unified driver?

Beans

Information on some changes to Printing and Scanning in Ubuntu 12.04

I attached my Samsung SCX-4500W by USB today and ran a live installation of Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha 2.

Clicking on the system Settings Icon (Top Right Hand Corner) the entries are:

Systems Settings
    Displays
    StartUp applications
    Software Up to Date

Attached devices (Greyed Out)

Printers:
    Scanner:
    Webcam:

Suspend
    Shut Down

Clicking on Printers brings up the add printer dialogue box, where the Samsung Scx-4500w is correctly identified and Splix Printer installs and works.

Clicking on Scanner (which I did before I added the printer) opens Simple Scan which runs and scans as normal.

Clicking on Webcam brings up the software centre to install cheese.

I repeated the above but this time with my Cannon MFP attached by USB. This time “Scanner” is replaced by “Canon Scanner” but again the scan runs and works without a printer being installed.

Page 89 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast